HONEYCOMB RADIATOR FILM TYPE

JC Boutin

Try Vintage Radiator. I think they supply most of the honeycomb cores to radiator shops. They can make a new core to fit your car. Another source is Vintage Honeycomb Radiator in Austraila.

Here is a fascinating 2-part video on how the Australian firm makes the honeycomb core. They just started doing it a couple years back, I think.

Phil

Edited by Mochet (see edit history)

I had five new cores made by the fellow who bought Mr Johnson's business, for myself and other Mercer owners, some years ago. They were excellent and excellent value. Then I heard that the business had been bought by a person who aspired to establish monopoly supply by combining with control of availability from a NZ maker of cartridge tube cores. This fellow had made himself so odious that no-one would give him so much as the password to hell, let alone an order.

It is good to know that the equipment is now with a craftsman in Queensland who is able again to supply quality and service at a fair price

Did some extensive research on this several years ago. I have an Auburn type honeycomb radiator on my Durant. I called three radiator repair places in the US. and emailed the New Zealand company extensively. It seems at least for my type of honeycomb that the only one left in the world that makes these cores is the company in the UK. Everyone else including New Zealand gets theirs from this company. Several of our members and others have used The Brassworks in California for their work and have been highly satisfied. They get their cores from the UK, but you save a bundle in shipping to California rather than ship over to the UK. They have experience with this type of honeycomb.

Did some extensive research on this several years ago. I have an Auburn type honeycomb radiator on my Durant. I called three radiator repair places in the US. and emailed the New Zealand company extensively. It seems at least for my type of honeycomb that the only one left in the world that makes these cores is the company in the UK. Everyone else including New Zealand gets theirs from this company. Several of our members and others have used The Brassworks in California for their work and have been highly satisfied. They get their cores from the UK, but you save a bundle in shipping to California rather than ship over to the UK. They have experience with this type of honeycomb.

PS;

When I checked about a year or so ago. The company in the UK quoated me about 1,400 pounds to rebuild my radiator which I guess is around $1,900 dollars or so plus shipping both way. UPS wanted about $300 plus to ship it over there. Brassworks quoated me between $1,300 to $2,000 depending on how extensive the rebuild was but guaranteed show quality. Didn't price shipping from Florida to California but I think it was cheaper.

As far as we have been able to determine the UK firm is the only company that actually manufacturers the cores, and they told us as much. We used to deal with an outfit in NY until we realized that every time we asked for a price they "would have to get back to us" and when they did get back to us their price was coincidentally always 100% to the penny more than the same core direct from England. Don't underestimate the difficulty in installing a honeycomb core using the original tanks, etc. It isn't easy.

HI,

THERE IS 2 SHOPS IN UK THAT I KNOW.

AND THERE NAME ARE ALMOST SIMILAR.

THERE IS:

1) VINTAGE CAR RADIATOR CO LTD IN LITCHBOROUGH UK

2) VINTAGE WINGS & RADIATOR IN MANCHESTER UK

MY MAINE CONCERN IS TO GET SOME REFERENCES

CONCERNING THE WORK PERFORM BY THE FIRST ONE

"VINTAGE CAR RADIATOR CO LTD."

HELP WILL BE APPRECIATE

THANKS

JC BOUTIN CLC #26865