CCCA Touring Class Judging Standards

WHSEWARD

I am planning to drive my 39 Buick Model 90 to the CCCA National Meet in Grapevine TX this January and I plan to enter it in Touring Class. The car is essentially unrestored but I want to avoid being dinged for things I can do something about (such as a non-original-appearance battery). I would appreciate any assistance members could give me so I can direct my efforts toward getting the car ready. I do not intend to restore the car so the paint, interior, engine and drive train are what they are. But some "little" things I may be able to address.

Any advice would be welcome.

I can understand the desire to leave the car in its original condition; after all, they are only original once. The way to prepare the car for judging in the Touring Class, and to help preserve it, is to CLEAN. This is deep cleaning every square inch of the car, chassis, under the hood, and interior. Clean and then wax, and polish. Eliminate the dirt and then protect the finish with a good high quality wax.

A second point is attention to detail. Items under the hood that have been replaced that do not fit the era of the car should be replaced with correct factory parts. Example, radiator hose clamps. Your car may have later style hose clamps that are fully functioning, but are not correct for a 1939 Buick. Correct replacement hose clamps are easy to buy, easy to install, and make a big difference in the appearance of your car when the hood is opened.

What is really important is CCCA judging is that everything works-if it was made to work it should still work. This includes such things as radio, vanity lights, dash lights, running board lights, heater, all of your exterior lights including accessories such as Trippe lights, etc, windshield wipers, power accessories if applicable, horn(s) etc. They will also make sure that your ammeter is registering, oil pressure gauge working, temp gauge moving, etc etc. Make sure your car starts easily, idles smooth, etc. I have shown my mostly original and very frequently driven 1927 Rolls Royce a few times in CCCA touring class. The car shows its original and more recent driving scars throughout but I was able to get my 1st place in Touring class. Don't worry about the battery, they probably won't deduct for that. Keep in mind that if you car is too nice and scores over 92 points, you will be eliminated.