want to buy: exhaust casting for 57 GMC V8 pontiac engine

Guest danceswithpumps

Guest danceswithpumps

I need the exhaust casting that connects the 2 exhaust headers together before connecting to the exhaust pipe on my 347 pontiac engine. A good used one will do.

Thanks,

Rod 308-631-3497 cell leave message and I'll get back to you.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest danceswithpumps

I'm still looking.

GMC used Pontiac V8s from '55-'60 or so, in 287, 317, 347, 370, and 336 variants. The manifolds and routing don't change much, both 55-57 cars and trucks the left manifold dumps at the front and wraps around to join the right on the right side of the vehicle.

Thanks,:)

Rod

the Y pipe that connects the left and right exhaust manifolds is not a casting, it's sheetmetal tubing bent and welded together to make the Y. you might join in the yahoo pontiac-1950s group, bill there is a gmc truck-pontiac engine guru, i'm there also. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Guest danceswithpumps

Thanks, Charles. Mine sure looks like cast iron like the headers are. Could it be they used 2 different ones?

I had a mechanic for our county road dept. work on my starter. I asked him while he had it to replace the gasket between the "Y" and the tail pipe. He called me back and said one of the "ears" had broken off of it and he hadn't had much luck welding cast exhaust parts. I told him I had some good nickel rod that worked good for me and he said that it was harder to weld since it gets so hot..??

Do you think an exhaust/muffler shop could make this piece?

Thanks for your help.

Rod van Pelt

it's possible that your crossover Y pipe is different, but cast ?, i've never seen one cast in 38 years of being around old pontiacs and gmc trucks. are you sure he didn't mean the cast iron ear on the manifold itself ?. i'd like to see a picture of it, if it is cast iron. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Guest danceswithpumps
it's possible that your crossover Y pipe is different, but cast ?, i've never seen one cast in 38 years of being around old pontiacs and gmc trucks. are you sure he didn't mean the cast iron ear on the manifold itself ?. i'd like to see a picture of it, if it is cast iron. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Well, I stopped by the guy's shop this afternoon and he had just taken the part off the GMC. It is cast iron and I'm posting some pics of it. Leave it to me to get one of the "rare breed". The part number looks like 528888-8. Maybe most everyone replaced their cast piece long before I had to. My mechanic is going to weld it. If it doesn't hold, I'll take it to a muffler shop to maybe fabricate a new one, unless someone has a good used one like Charles mentions above.

20111111153939.jpg

The top of pic is where the left manifold connects, the right side of pic is where the right manifold hooks up and the bottom of pic is where itconnects to the tail pipe.

20111111153951.jpg

20111111153853.jpg

Thanks again, :)Charles for your help.

Rod

• 4 months later...
Guest danceswithpumps

The fellow I left this piece with got busy and didn't have time to weld this so I welded the cast iron piece that ties the right and left manifold with the tail pipe on my 347 Pontiac engine in my '57 GMC. Not pretty but if it holds, it'll be outa sight and outa mind...LOL:)

20120326103725.jpg

20120326115805.jpg

20110817114024.jpg

Getting ready to see if she'll fire up one of these days.:)

Rod

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
Guest danceswithpumps

Got the brake master cylinder rebuilt and got her home. The hydramatic auto transmission slips in reverse at times. Is this from sitting for 25 years in a barn?

Thanks,

Rod