Water Distribution tube needed for a 1940 - 120

FJD

Does anybody on the forum know of a reproducer for the water distribution tube for a 1940-120 ?

I talked with the fellas at Max Merritt at Hershey however their supplier did not get them to them.

Also anybody have a good used or NOS distributor locking plate for the same auto? It is an Autolite Distributor.

Thanks for any leads on these items.

Fred D

As far as I have heard, reproductions are no longer available. Might be someday, but for the last 2 or 3 years they have been very hard to come by. Anyway, I have ONE available, NOS, priced at $200 because I have no idea when I would be able to replace it. Last time the repro's were available, I think they were about 150? and unless they are coming over on the boat, I doubt the price will go down...flackmaster at sbcglobal dot net.

• 2 weeks later...

Josef

The water tube I am in need of is made of brass and fits inside of the block. I have located a NOS one with an small amount of corrosion on it. Max Merrit is in the process of having Repros, however the delivery schedule for them has slipped many times. Thank you for the reply as I am considering all options.

Hopefully I can get you a picture of my unusable original. I will PM you a picture.

Thank you

Fred D

Mal

Thank you for the pictures, I dug mine out last night to do the same thing. If mine looked that good I wouldn't have a problem. I still haven't figured out how mine got to be in such sad shape.

I haven't looked yet but is the 41 -120 interchangeable with a 40-120?

Also Mal, your restoration block was'/is most informative nad was a pleasure to read & follow your progress.

Thanks again

Fred D

To all thank you for all of the replies. To hopefully answer a few concerns.

I don't know about anything newer than, as of yet the 1901 series. So here is what I JUST found out. Packard group number for the part is under 5.0531 Manifold Assembly, Cylinder, Water. The part number 320619 fits 1601-1A 1D-2, 1701-1, A-2, 1801-1a, & 1901-1A. The 6 cyl number is 320598 fits1600, 1700, 1800, 1900.

Thanks BIG KEV for posting the parts manual on the Packard Info webpage. It saved me locating my copy.

To PEPCAK no you dont, need to see the eye DR. I had trouble locating the info myself and I have the reference books.

To BKAZMER I still need to research that one also as I have a later Packard block out in the garage.

To Steve_Mack_CT I talked with JD & Fred as late as last week and no definite time frame for the repros.

Mine was removed in one piece, however it is dented in many places and is coored through in 2 places. I haven't quite figured out how to straighten it and patch it, other than that it is in pretty good shape. I have some ideas but havent put them

into action yet. The sad part about this is that is only a few thousands thick.

Thanks again everybody

Edited by FJD (see edit history)

is the 42,46 - 7 version different?

No, it's the same.

Interestingly, at least to me, it appears that only one water manifold part number was used for all the straight eights 288/327/356/359 from '48 through '54 (P/N 351060). This was the same manifold used for the 356 starting in 1940.

I asked John Urich, San Francisco, if he would step in to the conversations: as he reproduced the these tubes previously for the 356, and if there interchangeable as someone mention. He might be able to do another production with the existing forming tool setup. and save everyone a few dollars. another run.

Seems I need to visit an ophthalmologist, I do not see any pipes or tubes, just kind of threaded inserts.. Am I blind? :-)
The tube is, in my case, brass(some are steel I'm told) roughly rectangular in section that slides into the block water jacket from the front of the block just behind the water pump. Over time they corrode(if steel) and/or get fouled and filled by sediments and deposits. Removal can be difficult if the tube has deposits holding it in place, sometimes leading to damage when trying too remove it. However, if the waterpump is off, or the engine is being rebuilt, it is always wise to remove and clean the distribution tube.

I see in your other earlier post in this thread that the link you provided relates to an external water distribution tube in the truer sense of the word.

Good morning all

To PEPCAK if you can view the pictures that OZSTATMAN posted mine is exactly like that one, only Mal's is in much better shape.

To OZSTATMAN thanks again for the pictures, mine is brass and right now the engine is in the shop and is being ready to set the valve train, but however like the guy in the shop says, right now it is better in his shop than my garage, since I need to do more work on the chassis. The only thing still needing rebuild for it is the fuel pump. I really need to get things moving on this.

To PACKARD 42 thanks for the referral, it is information and communication like that makes this a great hobby.

I have electronically met very many great people since working on this project.

After I restart working on the car I wll be posting more info on the Packard Info Blog. And placing info on where all of the various parts were restored.

Thanks again

Fred D

• 4 months later...
Guest Oldcartech

New Old Stock Dorman water distribution tubes

I have new old stock water distribution tubes. I have Metal and Brass in most instances. If you’re motor needs one please send an email to Oldcartech@gmail.com

I will need the year, make, Mod, & eng 6 or 8 cylinders.

I cannot stress enough just how important it is for your motor to distribute water properly. It is absolutely a must that water is distributed around each cylinder as required by the motor manufacturer.