1931 Studebaker Erskine body

Guest brownhauler

Guest brownhauler

Offering it to you Studebaker folks first. Will be going on craigslist next.

31 Studebaker Erskine body. Looking for $900 obo. Body is located in Weatherford,TX. You can reach me at 817-980-2894. Body is in pieces.

Will ship but you must take care of all logistics. And must be paid for first. Having trouble uploading pics. If you want more let me know.

post-79774-143138695234_thumb.jpeg

There were no Erskines built in the 1931 model year. The last Erskine was the 1930 Model 53. In that series the first few months the car was built it was referred to as the Erskine and then the name was changed to the Studebaker Six (both were model 53s).

Guest brownhauler

Just going by the info that was passed on to me.

I have a pic of the actual car. And all the body lines match.

It may be a 1930. The guy I got it from was not sure of

year but was sure it was an Erskine.

post-79774-143138695381_thumb.jpeg

• 1 year later...
Guest scott59702

I had recently bought a coupe. The gentleman i had bought it from seems to be knowedgeable about older vehicles. Being as he has and does own alot of them. And I had bought a (from what he had told me) "1931 Erskine" from him. Was i robbed??? I dont know. But i have beeen researching the car since ive had it and have heard of them in 31 models, and then that they were only produced from 27 to 30. The seller gave me pretty much everything to build it, even the beautiful insturment panel that fits the dashboard that clearly is an Erskine panel. Was he mistakin on the year??? I doubt it. This man being over 70yrs and has a memory better than any other person out there... So were there a few Erskines squeezed out in 31?

I am over 70 too and I can tell you categorically that Studebaker did not make an Erskine in the 1931 model year or anything close. The last 1930 Model 53 Erskine was assembled on May 9, 1930. The name was changed on May 10, 1930 to "The Studebaker Six." This would have been at approx serial #5085201. All 1930 model 53 Erskines had Studebaker engines starting with the prefix "E" whereas all model 53 Studebaker Sixes had engines starting with the prefix "S." I documented all of this in great detail in the July/August 2001 issue of the Antique Studebaker Review. The 1927-29 Erskines are covered in that issue as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scott59702

Thank you for that input. The gentleman I had baught it from was mistaken on the year. Tho the serial number is a 507XXXX and clearly states that it is an Erskine on the plate. The block doesn't have either an "S" or an "E" on it from what i can see tho. I would like to get my hands on the issue of the review. I have tried to find it online and im having troubles. Would greatly appriceate any info on finding an issue. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Is it possible that once they were renamed Erskines sat on the lot while people bought the renamed car, long enough to be retitled and sold as 1931s?

Very common to title the car as the year it was sold back then. Especially since there was a Great Depression going on. Some cars languished at the dealerships for a long time.