Hershey results

Pat Buckley

I thoroughly enjoyed reading through the winners, looking for names more than specific cars. One sure did stand out in both columns, though, a 1923 Buick which took a Third Junior. Not being that familiar with the numbers, I looked through the judging standards, and a Third Junior must score minimum 295 points out of the 400.

Fantastic. Why? I know the car and the owner, and it's a totally unrestored vehicle, an incredible find, and it's great that it scored this high.

I was told (by a mutual friend, not the owner) that one of the judges, prior to judging, asked the owner why was he having it judged, as they stood beside the rust-brown car, the judge further stating that the car would never win anything......love it.....

Guest paulmac1968

One other quick question... this is the first year I had a vehicle judged and received a 2nd junior. Do grill badges only come w/ a 1st junior?

Thx.

This was an awesome group of vehicles. :)

Tentative - unaudited

Class 27F

First Junior

1964 Ford.................................................................................................John H. Keesee, York, PA

1964 Mecury....................................................................Richard G. Wagner, Jr., Stockertown, PA

1965 Ford....................................................................................Mac McCray, Mechanicsville, VA

1965 Buick.......................................................................................Robert R. Natale, Towson, MD

1965 Lincoln........................................................................................John Nelson, Allentown, PA

Second Junior

1964 Ford Thunderbird....................................................................Sam De Marco, Lynnfield, MA

1965 Chevrolet Impala...........................................................................Dave Bielen, Tamaqua, PA

Third Junior

1965 Buick....................................................................................Richard Michel, Stroudsburg, PA

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

Everything was just fantastic on show day, loved every minute of last week while I was at the swap meet and at the Saturday show. Also enjoy the banquet, and stayed until the very end to honor all the winners.

Thanks also for getting these results up in such a quick fashion; I know this is an absolutely tremendous undertaking from start to finish, and my hat is off to everyone involved in making this event the best car show on Earth.

Just a very, very slight nit to pick, and I hope it is taken in the constructive fashion I truly mean it to be. I have noticed that in looking at the results for several years now, some cars are just identified only by their marque, while others do have the model listed as well.

Truly, though, to enjoy this listing to the fullest, and to conjure up my memory bank in reading through it of what I saw and took pictures of that day, it would be so nice to have the models as well as the makes for all of the vehicles shown. If something is listed as a "1964 Ford", and nothing else, my goodness, that could be a Galaxie, Fairlane, Thunderbird, Mustang, Country Squire, Falcon, etc. etc. Someone looking for a particular model, such as a Falcon, for instance, is lost trying to figure out which "1964 Ford" was the one that took whatever judging honor it earned. Or, saying to themselves "Hey, a 1964 Ford won a First Place award--geez, wonder what kind of car it was?"

I know the inconsistency in the listing is a result of the many thousands of vehicles entered into the database over the years, and the ebb and flow of whoever paid whatever attention to detail (or lack thereof) in entering the information. Someone looking back on this ten years from now will only see (for example) that I have a "1962 Oldsmobile"--that's it, and they're left wondering if it's a Dynamic 88, Super 88, Ninety-Eight, Starfire, F-85, Cutlass, Jetfire, or Fiesta Wagon. That's not to even mention if it's a coupe, sedan, convertible, or wagon. And, if I do enter my "other" 1962 Oldsmobile, how will it as a Dynamic 88 Station Wagon be differentiated from my Starfire Coupe?

Just something that maybe can be addressed in the interim to help make the list more accurate and add clarity. Again, just a constructive suggestion, and hopefully it's taken in the same vein as intended.

We hear you...with thousands and thousands of cars this becomes a difficult and complicated issue. Trust me, we have gone through all sorts of ideas to fix this but the solution remains difficult especially when many owners do not give us the correct model or any model. Also, the data for most cars are not entered by our staff but the different registration chairs of the events. They have a huge job and Hershey is really a tough one. In any case, we continue to try to find a solution which probably seems easy to most people since they do not know our system. Thanks for the thought, we will continue to work on getting better.

Yeah, we as observers are quick to say do this or do that, me too...

Standing back, though, it's an incredible event and experience, and it doesn't just "happen".

Thanks and praise to those who do make it happen...............

my wife & I have been showing our 65ford for 9years in HPOF & this year we were not able to pick up our award-I just read the list & we are not on it! The judges viewed the car & no changes were made since last year. all seemed ok. Why is our car not listed? 1965 ford galaxie blue, 6cyl, 4door hardtop. vehicle #16690.

"Please,Please whatever you do!" Hire a local cop to regulate that stupid light on Laudermilch Road! It took me 45 minutes to get back to 81 from Hershey Park Drive after the show Saturday!

Is Laudermilch the road that goes under the walking bridge that goes from the Chocolate Field to the Giant Center? If so then I agree. The young guy was a CSO (Community Service Officer), not a police officer and he had no idea as to how to correctly control the flow of traffic. He kept pushing the button to control the lights and a several people were caught in the road at the crosswalk when the lights changed too quickly. He was letting the traffic jam up and block the intersections and then waving drivers through red lights. He looked very confused every time we saw him.

The road I'm referring to is the one that runs from the southbound exit off interstate 81 at Hershey/Grantville where you turn left off the exit ramp and drive straight 5 miles into Hershey Park Drive. It's a two lane road with 2 lights spaced a half mile apart. Coming back after the show on that road is a nightmare! Everyone was stopped at the first light because it was staying red forever for us, when only 2 or 3 cars were waiting to cross it on the green! We were backed up at least 3 miles!

my wife & I have been showing our 65ford for 9years in HPOF & this year we were not able to pick up our award-I just read the list & we are not on it! The judges viewed the car & no changes were made since last year. all seemed ok. Why is our car not listed? 1965 ford galaxie blue, 6cyl, 4door hardtop. vehicle #16690.

Sorry to hear about this Larry. Please send a letter to Herb Oakes (address below) with a self addressed/stamped envelope with your question and he will respond to you. Wayne

<TABLE id=AutoNumber1 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellPadding=10 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="40%"></TD><TD width="60%">Herb Oakes

102 Converse Drive

Jacksonville, NC 28546

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Guest tcuda340
Trust me, we have gone through all sorts of ideas to fix this but the solution remains difficult especially when many owners do not give us the correct model or any model.

I know when I first started showing my 'cuda ( 2002), at the area for "model" it said in parenthesis: cp, conv, sdn. Back then they didn't seem to want exact model. I put my color down as Tor-Red only to have them change it to Red (car is orange). Changed the color to orange and finally tried to change it back to Tor-Red after seeing window cards with Spitfire Blue, etc.

Guest Torino75

Incomplete information on a registration to be judged should be returned or an email sent to the person to correct it or not be judged. That might fix that problem!

This issue took a funny turn at Hershey.

After all the speeches were made at the Judge's Breakfast I asked the team to meet me at the first car on the list of the vehicles we were to judge, a Ford Thunderbird. The only Ford listed in our class as a Thunderbird.

When the team got there one of the judges grinned and asked, "Which Thunderbird?" :rolleyes: Two cars away was another one. :eek: It had only been listed as a Ford.

Next time, I'm gonna' ask them to meet me at the breakpoint sign between classes. :D

Incomplete information on a registration to be judged should be returned or an email sent to the person to correct it or not be judged. That might fix that problem!

I agree with this fellow. Reconfigure registration cards for: VEHICLE: (Ford, Dodge,etc); COLOR: (red, gold, etc); MODEL: (Fairlane 500, Starfire, F-150, etc.) VEHICLE CONFIGURATION [bODY TYPE]: coupe, convertible, panel truck, motorcycle, race car, etc.) * Posting the MODEL and possibly COLOR on the RESULTS page would be well-appreciated by all members. *

I'm sure this would take a huge amount of work. But ask yourselves if you are looking for an improvement in this area, or are you content with the way it is now?

Improvement takes time, but it has to start somewhere.

Just some things to think about.

Edited by Dick380185 (see edit history)

I know I'll be accused of having an ulterior motive here, as I would like to be able to register for Fall Hershey on January 1st, not July 1st! But, maybe this one year only, start the registration a few weeks/months early, start from scratch in the sense that every person is asked to "update" their information on their car, while keeping their AACA Judging #. Do this once, do this right, and it would make for smooth sailing going forward, at least in theory. I confess that I do not know all the ins and outs of what needs to be done, but having said that, where there's a will, there's a way...

Again, keeping this positive, hats off once again to ALL who make Fall Hershey the world-class event (an often overused terms, but it truly applies here) it has been for many years now...

Starfire....you had better hide from the girls in the office and the region!:) What may seem simple is not so simple. There are a lot of ingredients in this recipe that need to be considered especially since we have 8-10 meets plus tours prior to Hershey.

We are constantly looking at improvements and have many to the registration process over the last seven years. There are a lot of complications that are never seen by the membership.

I would love to have each member spend a day with the folks that handle our databases and membership. They would probably run away screaming, tearing their hair out!:D

You are right, of course, it is easier said than done, Steve, for sure! I was just thinking that, as a matter of course, whenever people send in their renewals, they could update their information accordingly, and perhaps over the winter months (and I know shows do take place year-round), maybe these updates could be made.

I appreciate the efforts, as mentioned before!