Hershey Finds

Steve_Mack_CT

So let's talk about the good stuff!! (I mean, enough already with golf carts, lazy vendors and cheap customers - what's next, is someone going to complain about the weather??! :D )

Anyone care to share that special find - rare part, collectible automobilia or maybe even a car? SOMEONE had to buy some of those cars in the fields or car coral, right?

Me - I visited a lot of folks, picked up some Packard parts, most interesting would be an original owner's manual, and some gas & oil smalls. Bought a lot of books also, Kime's "Classic Era", Elbert's "Mighty Duesenberg", Burns "Olympian Cars" as well as some out of the AACA library tent. If you missed that you missed a chance at some great winter reading! Ponied up my dues for CCCA, but was unable to get a "Youth Membership" - and picked up a trinket or two for the Mrs. Dad picked up a couple of unusual oil bottles. All in all another fantastic year.

Surely there were some great finds out there, let's hear about them or see them! :)

Thanks

I'll share my finds. I filled my cart all 3 days and then some. I think there were some great bargains to be found if you took the time to dig through boxes and bins. I even found a complete 31 Chrysler radiator cap in the bottom of a box of Hood ornaments from the 50's that were so trashed they should have been on a dollar tarp. Price on the piece was down to $50 before I walked away. I passed on it in hopes my collector friend would stop by for it later. (he got the Message to late) He must have been the only one there without a cell phone.

I found a new insert for the hood ornament on my 48 plymouth ragtop on the blem table in the Chocolate field for $30. I was happy to pay that. NOS front fender mouldings for $50 for the pair, A Nos hood plate with the ship for 30.00, A rear composite floor matt for 30.00 and an NOS dash radio/ speaker cover in the box for 20.00. (the Plymouth made out well this year)

Other great finds were a pair of Twin H aircleaners for 100.00 to complete the intake and carbs my friend picked up a year ago.

I bought an Auburn style body for a wall hanger.:D

I filled the cart with all kinds of NOS parts each day. Overall I would say it's the best Hershey I've had yet. I'm ready for next year already.

Last but not least the weather. How can anyone complain when you get a stretch of weather like that :cool:

post-43003-143138691039_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143138691041_thumb.jpg

For us, it was mostly about walking the fields, seeing cars, parts, "stuff," and of course friends old and new. We managed to see everything (all flea market fields and all of the car corral) in two pretty intensive days of walking (Weds & Thurs).

As for "Finds," not too many that we actually purchased. A couple of miscellaneous plates in various conditions, some consumable supplies, a Pinto fender script w/o the tail broken off of the "o" (as most of them seem to be).

The most exciting for me personally was an old "Belltown Antique Car Club" brass car badge, in surprisingly nice shape, at a surprisingly nice price (I was initially thinking that the handwritten "6" was a mistake, or some previous seller's price--thankfully I took the time to ask). I found this in the Red field. The Belltown Antique Car Club, based in East Hampton, CT has been in existence since 1968 (as is indicated on the badge), and I don't know if I've ever actually seen one of these badges before. I ran into a Belltown member and showed him this right after I purchased it--he indicated that they came out either late '60s or early '70s, and he recalled they also took a long time to sell out (he did not remember the price). Anyway, a pretty cool find in my book!

I should also add that it wasn't just car junk that came back with us from Hershey--we also stopped on the way home for another "haul" of various smoked meats at Dietrich's on the highway (Krumsville, which is a ways east of Hershey). The wrapped Lebanon baloney was something like 8 lbs (plate shown next to it for size reference), and about 5 inches or so in diameter. GOOD stuff!

post-34222-143138691049_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143138691072_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143138691099_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143138691127_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

I found a real bargain. A fold out type piece of literature that included the 1965 Dodge Dart GT I would love to have. It was only $5 and I didn't even ask if the vendor would take less. :) It has the car my mom and dad had, and I started learning to drive in, red with the black vinyl half Victoria style roof. Lots of chrome, just like my father loved his cars to be.

I still remember the ads for this car on TV. They showed the GT pulling a glider style plane. Very cool.

I stopped in my tracks as we walked by a section of the car corral. There was a red Dodge Dart GT with the black vinyl half Victoria style roof, excellent condition. I even could have afforded the price. But it was a 1966 model not a 1965. I was so disappointed. :( I have looked for the one I want but have yet to find one.

post-36313-143138691179_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

We picked up some licence plates and wheel covers also a few toys and magazines. Did, however, get a neat looking small solid brass birdcage complete with a little brass bird, swing, food dish etc. Never know what you will find! Some kind of antique chachkee I suppose.

Difficult to get a picture of it, sorry.

Earlier in the week a friend accepted a prearranged delivery of a pickup load of various parts for my 40 Nash. I'd never met the seller in person but as usual with old car people the stuff was just as advertised, maybe even a few extra items! A really great year!

;)

I stopped in my tracks as we walked by a section of the car corral. There was a red Dodge Dart GT with the black vinyl half Victoria style roof, excellent condition. I even could have afforded the price. But it was a 1966 model not a 1965. I was so disappointed. :( I have looked for the one I want but have yet to find one.

That car was also at Carlisle the week prior. Very pretty car with a body style not often seen these days.

Guest R-ajax peterson

Sounds like you had a nice time. I am also a ,"53", model . :eek: I will not reveal the wifes model year either.:D guess we are old enough to know better

I was placing a for sale sign on Marty's space in the Chocolate field, when Matt Hinson (whom I'd never met) came over and asked what the heck was I doing....

We ended up having a nice chat, and while talking I glanced down and saw a bicycle headlamp on his table.

Long story shorter, ended up making a purchase from him, and it's a perfect patina and fit for my original 1890's Pierce bicycle, with a date on the lamp of 1897. Matt, you said you were pleased it was going to be put to good use, see pictures attached....

Even had delivery service on the lamp! (to the apartment where we were both staying with Mr. Roth).....

post-31482-143138692598_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143138692601_thumb.jpg

MATT

DAVID

Good to have you both as friends, to share the Chocolate Field Spaces, to share the apartment -- now, let us see if we can drag Roy and Charlie into the 21st century

Glad everybody had a good time, and made it home safely.

My best find was matching the damaged "Guide" Driving Lamp Lens for the '34 Buick,

also found the chromed center Medallion and end top pieces to top-off the ends of the '34 Buick bumpers.

post-54863-143138692769_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138692782_thumb.jpg

I found a pair of internal folding landau bars from a '32 thru '34 Packard convertible top assembly. We have made quite a few sets of these over the years and they are a pain in the whatever to machine. Only the second pair I've found in several decades of scouring Hershey. I didn't actually need them but the guy was selling out and now I'll have them for the next guy who needs a pair.

Hey ShopRat! Is this the one you were eyeballing? I liked it too! I took 200 pix of the Hershey Car Corral and 64 of the show, all posted in this forum! I link them all to Photobucket so I don't have to resize them all!

Yes!!! That is the one. ARGGGG, one year off of what I want. :D

Well, Susan, I understand the year thing. My first new car, in 1969 (and I already had two antiques by then, the 1931 Chevy and a 25 watchouthereitcomesso Dodge, Brothers) was a Cutlass, and went I went looking, I didn't want the 1968, I wanted the 1969, which, to me, is a cleaner design (grille, mostly).

Good luck on your search, that is a nice looking vehicle!

Well, Susan, I understand the year thing. My first new car, in 1969 (and I already had two antiques by then, the 1931 Chevy and a 25 watchouthereitcomesso Dodge, Brothers) was a Cutlass, and went I went looking, I didn't want the 1968, I wanted the 1969, which, to me, is a cleaner design (grille, mostly).

Good luck on your search, that is a nice looking vehicle!

Thanks trimacar. The 1965 version would have a great deal of sentimental value to me. I just wish I could get my hands on the one my mom and dad had. Probably crushed out at a junk yard years ago. :( I did see it one time after my mom and dad sold it. It was sitting in the driveway near the back road where it's new owners lived.