Hershey 2025 - walking prohibited

trimacar

Had a great but short time at Hershey, hats off to the organization for putting on a great event.

As I sat for a couple hours manning the Pierce Arrow Society tent, I saw what I thought were a lot of golf carts or other personal powered transportation devices. Thinking of that and the recent discussions on age of members........

I decided to fire up the WABAC machine, a time machine that I acquired years ago from Mr. Peabody. Being a tinkering engrinear (hey, I went to school for it and I are one!), I've modified the WABAC machine to also travel forward in time.

I was soon at the Hershey grounds in 2025, and was able to buy a program for 1/2 ounce of gold (since obviously I hadn't pre-registered), luckily I'd brought along a pocketful of gold and silver bars.

Reading the regulations for the flea market was of most interest, and I present it here from memory:

"For the third year, each flea market field will be set up in the serpentine configuration, with aisles four feet wide, and entrance and exit clearly marked. Each attendee can only pass through a field once with their hydrogen powered golf cart. Emergency exits are provided every 100 yards, but once a golf cart leaves the field it may NOT return to that field until the next day. WALKING IS PROHIBITED, and only officials with red, dated passes, surgistapled to their forearm may go on foot anywhere in the flea market area. Vendors are to be set up on each side of the four foot aisle, and no part or parts can extend into the aisle. All parts must be clearly marked with a bar code and price, to be scanned by a purchaser and delivered to them at the exit of the field (via the new HoverPart system). All bar codes must be within arms length of the aisle, as no one may leave a golf cart for any reason. Please abide by these rules, as offenders will be dealt with severely, with the newly developed Memoraser, which will erase all memory of the event as you are sent home.

Thank you, and be sure to enjoy the new PlastiPreservation class, where original cars are sealed in a cube of clear PlastiPlate for all eternity."

It was quite a sight......

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I agree, I'll be the same 75 that year if the good Lord's willing, and the way my knees feel some days, will be in some type of personal mobility device for sure.

I just wanted to play a little with the future......there are people with real needs for mobility. Not being able to walk the fields would be tough, once you lose your mobility it's a rough road....

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Had a great but short time at Hershey, hats off to the organization for putting on a great event.

As I sat for a couple hours manning the Pierce Arrow Society tent, I saw what I thought were a lot of golf carts or other personal powered transportation devices. Thinking of that and the recent discussions on age of members........

I decided to fire up the WABAC machine, a time machine that I acquired years ago from Mr. Peabody. Being a tinkering engrinear (hey, I went to school for it and I are one!), I've modified the WABAC machine to also travel forward in time.

I was soon at the Hershey grounds in 2025, and was able to buy a program for 1/2 ounce of gold (since obviously I hadn't pre-registered), luckily I'd brought along a pocketful of gold and silver bars.

Reading the regulations for the flea market was of most interest, and I present it here from memory:

"For the third year, each flea market field will be set up in the serpentine configuration, with aisles four feet wide, and entrance and exit clearly marked. Each attendee can only pass through a field once with their hydrogen powered golf cart. Emergency exits are provided every 100 yards, but once a golf cart leaves the field it may NOT return to that field until the next day. WALKING IS PROHIBITED, and only officials with red, dated passes, surgistapled to their forearm may go on foot anywhere in the flea market area. Vendors are to be set up on each side of the four foot aisle, and no part or parts can extend into the aisle. All parts must be clearly marked with a bar code and price, to be scanned by a purchaser and delivered to them at the exit of the field (via the new HoverPart system). All bar codes must be within arms length of the aisle, as no one may leave a golf cart for any reason. Please abide by these rules, as offenders will be dealt with severely, with the newly developed Memoraser, which will erase all memory of the event as you are sent home.

Thank you, and be sure to enjoy the new PlastiPreservation class, where original cars are sealed in a cube of clear PlastiPlate for all eternity."

It was quite a sight......

"Boy I sure hope that my legs hold up for at least 10 more years" (I'm 68 now) I can't imagine not being able to move around and take the pictures I want. I'm always running back and forth, dodging golf carts and foot traffic to get a perfect picture.The way I look at it, if I can no longer buy all the things I want, I still have the pictures of Hershey to take home with me.

It's interesting as your viewpoint changes (i.e. one gets older). On the one hand, I, too, am slightly aggravated at all the mobile devices riding around...but am sure that everyone has a reason. On the other hand, I look at the day when I might need such transportation. Even now, I do a lot less walking at Hershey than I did 10 years ago.

It's going to change, I think, although I'm encouraged by this year's flea market, as a lot of early stuff seemed to surface (by early stuff, I mean Pre World War II, by the way).................

For nearly 30 years we went to the Turkey Run in Daytona. Over time they dealt with changes in mobility by first banning golf carts, motor scooters and fat broads. They did provide rental units for individuals and the wheeled population continued to grow. Then one year I was awaiting another knee surgery and I rented one of those things. A whole new perspective! The people were in the way. They were tall and I was short, and I had to carry my buddie's purchases. I got lots of glares when I stood and walked to look closer

at items for sale, but nobody said anything. That evening, I was ready for a walk on the beach and nobody else had the energy.

The rental was a good thing at the time, but I was glad to return to walking the Daytona Speedway the following year on my repaired knee. I no longer complain about all the mobility carts, old guys, dogs and fat broads at car events, it's part of the adventure.

They banned fat broads? Seems like the kind of thing that could get an organization sued these days...

The PlastiPlate will be just the thing for the trailer queens! They'll just put some casters on the bottom and roll it up into the trailer...

They banned fat broads? Seems like the kind of thing that could get an organization sued these days...

The PlastiPlate will be just the thing for the trailer queens! They'll just put some casters on the bottom and roll it up into the trailer...

Speaking of fat broads and discrimination, I can relate. Recently my company stopped paying for a rinky dink life insurance policy that they had carried on me since my date of hire, and I had to pick up the tab in order to keep it. It seemed cheap enough at $45.00/ month, until they made me fill out a questionare. Then the premium jumped to $150.00/month. My Body Mass classified me as obese. I had that policy since I was 22, and I'd sure like to know what the insurer did with all the premium money paid on my behalf for the last 46 years. Wouldn't it be great if all the life insurance companies were allowed to drop everyone over the age of 65 and pay nothing out? What a windfall they would have!