Winching Car Into Enclosed Trailer

Guest Maark70fish

Guest Maark70fish

I have an enclosed trailer and have always had cars that were small enough that I could drive in and still get out. I now have a post war Chrysler which will fill the trailer side to side. I plan on purchasing a winch to get the car into the trailer. Do folks put some kind of giude on the floor like at a car wash to keep the car centered on the way in?

The short answer is yes, I have seen all kinds of floor guides from steel channel that the tires rode in, to edge guides, to 2X4 nailed down and painted, to even plastic rails fastened to the floor. make sure the edges on the entry side are beveled to avoid tire damage. I assume you have a side door to stand outside of to control the winch. Be sure you have a strong enough winch brake so the car will not "back up" after you get it in and rear straps to be sure it doesn't go forward on braking. I am fortunate in having small cars so I use both front and rear straps at 4 points. I think I could roll my trailer and they woild stay in place!!!

Guest billybird

DAVE A points out a very good safety thought. { stand outside }. The recoil from a snapped winch cable can inflict very serious injury. When I had my winch I used too inspect the cable frequently for fraying and kept in lightly coated with WD-40. If you must be inside, throw a heavy quilt, blanket or other such item to absorb recoil just in case. When it comes to winches, cheaper is not better but bigger is better. Your safety and your vehicle is at stake.

I have an enclosed trailer and have always had cars that were small enough that I could drive in and still get out. I now have a post war Chrysler which will fill the trailer side to side. I plan on purchasing a winch to get the car into the trailer. Do folks put some kind of giude on the floor like at a car wash to keep the car centered on the way in?

My trailers have always had an electric winch since I have both small and large vehicles. I have never needed a guide as the winch is typically in the middle and pulls the vehicle fairly centered. I do mark the floor where the tires go once the best location for tongue weight is established. My new trailer has a removable winch (welded to a removable receiver straight down through the floor) and a wireless control. You can guide the vehicle easily by walking / steering it into its position.

I like to use an axle strap around a good anchor point under the vehicle. Make sure your winch cable has a hook with a safety spring clip so it cannot loose tension and fall out of the axle strap. We also place a wood block on the floor just in front of where my front tire stops. I winch snug against it. The block acts as a safety to keep the car from rolling forward should your trailer not be level.

We also set the parking brake and leave the vehicle in reverse once in place.

Then do your tie downs. We cannot use guides on the floor as we haul different vehicles none of which match in stance.

• 9 months later...
Guest ontheroad437

I was just at 2012 Goodguys Nationals in Columbus and saw a really cool system to load any length and width car into an enclosed trailer. The car was tied down outside the trailer, then it was winched in with a wireless remote the rest of the way on rails. No one was trying to get out the door or window from inside the trailer. It was pretty slick! It was called Rail Ryder. The handout gave a website www.railryder.com. It might be worth checking out. Good luck...

Every car I transport gets loaded & unloaded by electric winch

That applies even to running vehicles

You can purchase a universal wireless remote control for 12VDC winches

on amazon - here is one @ Amazon.com: Universal Wireless 12V 12 Volt Electric Winch Remote Control System Kit Car Auto Automotive Truck Picktruck: Automotive

Load & unload on an even paved or graded surface

Line up your vehicle straight and take your time

If you don't own a trailer or are shopping for a new one,

consider a model with side ' barn doors ' which will allow

access to your vehicle

Jim

post-56761-143139111501_thumb.jpg