'39 Chrysler Saratoga general observations

Guest Don Manen

Guest Don Manen

I just bought this car three days ago- I had seen pictures about two months ago and had "first right of refusal" while it was being shipped from Illinois to Texas.

a. finding it very difficult to find donar cars - I may have found one in Idaho- I need complete headlight units, and probably other parts.

b. I really don't like the battery under the driver's seat-I have experienced a battery explosion in the past--not good!

c. brakes inoperative-which I can fix. I was surprized to find a step-bore with different size pistons in the same wheel cylinder! Now looking for a way to install a dual master cylinder. I converted my 41 Chevy and 49 Ford to dual MC- That emergency brake handle gives you something to hold until you crash.

d. complicated headliner support system-of course it was previously removed, leaving me with a pile of cloth and a lot of metal parts.

e. Looking for ways and ideas to restore the dash - I'm fairly sure replacement plastic pieces don't exist. ****Seeking ideas and advice here. Steering wheel restoration not a problem.

f. Most of the cloth covered wires have parts that are not,,,, I have read the pros and cons for 12v/polarity conversion. I'm looking at a better heater/AC, CD player, better lights, turn signals/hazard lights, etc.

This car and I were created in the same year, so I need to get busy while all my parts still work.

Don Manen

Retired USMC/USAF

Well you have a real find as the Saratoga was the top of the line in 1939. The Imperial was the bottom of the line. The dashes in those cars deteriorated quickly as they were composed of early attempts of using plastic in cars. The various temperatures within the car could not be handled by the plastic formula of the time. I believe there is someone that has duplicated the plastic and some have used an epoxy compound. Most have removed all the plastic left and painted. Donar cars are out there but it may take a while to locate them. 39 is a one off year so you won't find many parts that are common to other year Chryslers except for engine parts.

The battery under the seat should have a metal cover to protect from a disaster. Sometimes they were removed to make access easier but if yours is missing you need to find one. Get yourself a Master Parts Book. It contains pictures of the parts to help you to locate them. They may not be the actual part for your car but they will give you an idea of what to look for. These books usually cover several years and the pictures reflect the newest model. The Chrysler book may cover 1936 to 1942.

If you are going to modify the car from original you should source out other locations on the internet to find people that have already done it to get pointers. Most everyone here keeps their cars as original as possible.

Don....scroll on down to the "Lincoln and Lincoln Zephyr" forum. There is a guy there making up plastic parts for the Lincolns. Maybe you can start something with him for re-popping Chrysler dashboard parts.