1923 Pierce Arrow 33, Limousine

1923 Pierce Arrow Limousine. It is one of only 6 left known in existence. It is in original condition. It has some wreck damage on the right front end, to include fender and the axle is knocked loose due to a broken spring. Engine does not turn over. All the major parts are there and most of the small items. Complete set of pictures are available upon request of serious interested buyers.

$10,000. or best offer

Update: we have fixed the front suspension except for the broken main leaf. we have installed all new tires so we can roll it around. as of today 01-12-2012 the engine still does not turn over.

post-60317-14313868287_thumb.jpg

post-60317-143138682873_thumb.jpg

post-60317-143138682876_thumb.jpg

post-60317-143138682879_thumb.jpg

post-60317-143138798424_thumb.jpg

post-60317-143138798425_thumb.jpg

post-60317-143138798431_thumb.jpg

post-60317-143138798438_thumb.jpg

post-60317-143138798443_thumb.jpg

Edited by clawson
update (see edit history)

Guest prs519

Looks to be all aluminum...I think that was a very expensive metal at that time? Anybody know how expensive aluminum was in 1923?

not so much the cost of aluminum but the cost of working it, Pierce always had the finest craftsmen.

Looks to be all aluminum...I think that was a very expensive metal at that time? Anybody know how expensive aluminum was in 1923?

The bodies of most aluminum bodied cars are carefully worked thin sheet aluminum. Ten years or so previous to this car Pierce Arrow ; and at least a few others such as Marmon , used bodies constructed out of aluminum castings. I have a 1914 Marmon body {unfortunately not the rest of the car} and the way it is constructed is amazing. Obviously not suited for large quantity production. If you ever see a 1960's Mercedes {full size not SL} convertible stripped down for restoration , you will be astonished at the large aluminum castings used in the body construction. It's wonderful when cost is secondary to quality.

All the best Greg in Canada

Guest A1915dodge

Cheaper parts easier to work on.4cyl so less gas. I have a 1928 A sports coupe and its a fun car! I know lots of Horsless carriage members who have pierce arrows,wintons,loziers,etc. and guess what they drive out on most tours there model t.Sombody buy this pierce already its a great deal and can blow most any other car of the era out of the water when restored!:)

supposedly some where there is a picture of a u.s. president who either used to rent this limo or owned it, with him standing in front of it or with it... have not been able to find it yet. that is the information I got from the previous owner.

and it is priced to sell.

I remember reading or talking, years ago, about traveling body craftsmen who made regular rounds forming the more difficult panels for body builders. The rear sections with the compound curves were hardest and left for the out-source guys. In-house did the lightly curved easier ones.

Bernie

Guest Harold Phillips

This was common on high end car bodies, might like to see. I am in San Bernardino Co. need to see where you are, Last thing I need is another project but this looks interesting

This was common on high end car bodies, might like to see. I am in San Bernardino Co. need to see where you are, Last thing I need is another project but this looks interesting

the car is in Arcata, ca. I can send more pictures if you would like.

It is in fact a T head,,,BUT with detatchable head,,,dual valves and dual[coil] ignition,,The block is cast as one piece,,,

Top quality all over,,Cheers Ben

It is in fact a T head,,,BUT with detatchable head,,,dual valves and dual[coil] ignition,,The block is cast as one piece,,,

Top quality all over,,Cheers Ben

Is there a flow chart somewhere that shows the T head configuration? I haved never heard of the T head before.

Do you have a friend with old car books and manuals,,,its pretty much coverd in the older books,,,Dykes [automobile and gas engine encyclopedia ]]]]],,aah]] Homans book,,also ,Victor W Page' books are good too,,,Pierce used the T head from 1904[or earlier] to the end of the big 6s ,,,model 36 in 1928,,, The dual valve engine came in with the series 5 around 1918,,and was the introduction of the removable head on Pierce,,

When the President died,,,the Vice Pres made a hasty trip from Vermont to Washington,,There is a photo of the party in front of general store getting provisions for the nonstop trip,,So one way or 'nuther Pierces were involved in Washington,,

Hope this helps,,Cheers Ben ///Ok-OK I cant recall the lineage///Woodrow,, Warren G,,Calvin,, Herbert,,FDR,,,cb

Warren G. Harding died in office in 1923. He was succeeded by Vice President Calvin Coolidge who was in Vermont at the time visiting his family.

we are told by the previous owner of this car that it was used by calvin coolidge as a lease car or rental and there is a photograph of him standing next to this car. but I have not found it yet, and at this time have no way of verifying the serial number to see if it is infact the care used by the president.

Beg your pardon,,,,The Coolages were likely to not borrow or rent anything,,,

Simple to tell the butler what was needed in the morning,,

I dont know if they kept their own staff or used the federal staff,,

[[[[Please don't take my words seriously,,,,,only trying to inject the stiff words of those days,,,,a different vocabulary,,,,clumsy for my generation to choose a style in keeping with the time frame,,,The kids prolly d'notce,,,Cheers Ben

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You will find the engine is a T-head, which is a side valve, which exhaust valves on one side and inlets on the other. There are four valves per cylinder. The reason that photos may make it look like an overhead valve is that the company boss at that time, a Colonel Mixter, was so pleased by the improved performance of the engine of this model that he decreed it should have a dress cover over the top of everything. They called it "Mixter's Top Hat".

Best wishes to whoever buys and restores the car. They are beautifully built to the highest standards, and I always wanted one but there were none about here. I had two L-head sixes that did not interest me much, and so I gave them both away to friends.

Thanks for the information Ivan, always nice to find out more about this car. this engine also has duel ignitions systems so there are 12 spark plugs in the head and two distributators. I wish I had the ability and money to get this engine running. would love to hear it run.

If the engine is free,,,,put oil in the cylenders and crank it over,,,

The starter has the most enjoyable sound,,,

caused by the double reduction gears,in the starter drive,,,Music,,,

Of course take all precaution of turning an old engine,,dump krap out of oil pan etc,,,

be sure the valves are not stuck,,before turning,,

Cheers Ben,,,

well not sure the engine is free, cannot turn it via the front of the crank, it has had diesel in the cylinders for a couple weeks not and still can't turn it, but you starter idea might be the ticket, may have to try that. will advise what I find.

thanks

craig