1941 Plymouth Special Deluxe 6 volt Positive ground Alternator Installation

Guest yesitsme11

Guest yesitsme11

Hello Everyone,

My generator finally died. I have decided I would like to put on an alternator. I already found one that is a 6 volt positive ground Alt 1 wire. It has a built in regulator. Does anyone have an idea how I can hook this up. I have never owned a 6 volt vehicle so this is my first. Many thanks in advance.

I do this all the time and there is nothing to it. First verify that is a positive gr. 6vt alternator

then all we do is to use the (fat wire) that was the "arm" on the generator to the alt. then on the

old regulator take that (fat arm wire) and move it to the "bat" terminal. Thats it. This way

charging currents path is the same if it still had a generator going to the ampmeter. Forget

about the skinny wire (the field) its now dead we just tape it and leave it there, who knows

you might return to a generator some day and nothing is hacked up. Also be advised

usually you have to race up the engine a little to exite these one wire jobs........

Guest DodgeKCL

I agree with Rusty. Why change out the generator? Remember a lot of farmers still use tractors that are 6 volt. Find an automotive electrical shop and see if they repair old DC generators. It could be just the brushes and those are common parts. They do not have to be from 1941. One caveat. If you do get it repaired , before you take it home ask the guy to make sure it's polarized for + ground. He will almost certainly have repaired it on - ground.

But I have used our old DC generators for 30 years now and other than replacing the brushes have had no problems. I can see no difference in the operation of my 6 volters and the operation of my modern 12 volter daily drivers. My 6 volt batteries last 10 to 12 years. I know the alternator was a step forward and of course the transistorized voltage regulator but I'm not sure what 12 volts did for us. They never did rewind the ignition coil. They're all still 6 volters with a resistor in series with them either in the coil casing or outside somewhere.(I'm not sure if they EVER rewound the coils to 12 volts.)

Don't forget WWII was fought mostly on 6 volts + ground. Only aircraft like Spitfires and Mustangs etc. were 12 volts. All those GM,Ford and Dodge trucks in the war were 6 volts. And those Lend/Lease Studebakers trucks that we gave the Soviets ,and you see those Katushka rockets firing off from, are 6 volters.

Hello Everyone,

My generator finally died. I have decided I would like to put on an alternator. I already found one that is a 6 volt positive ground Alt 1 wire. It has a built in regulator. Does anyone have an idea how I can hook this up. I have never owned a 6 volt vehicle so this is my first. Many thanks in advance.

I guess the highlighted line has nothing to do with the original question and the man's wishes..he's a big boy, his name is on the title I am sure....ever think for a second the man would like to have an output of current at idle should the lights be on?

I only have one input and it is not saying what you should or should not do with your own car but as a reminder that your alternator most likely is one that is ordered in from some distributor and as such will need be replaced in the same manner if a failure occurs..it is not the common big box on the shelf replacement item, well, at least not in my areas....so in the event of a failure you may still have downtime between repairs..

Go with post 3...seems he read your post...

Guest yesitsme11

Ok Gang, I have actually decided to stick with the Generator. 2 reason. #1 the 6v alternator wont fit very easy with the universal bracket that seems to be more for Ford and Chevy. #2. I really like keeping things 100% stock and only wanted the Alternator since it was actually cheaper to put in then the Generator and had a higher out put of power.

Thank you for eveyones input.