Police radio from the '50's or 60's -- $100.

I bought this building that was a storage building for a Dodge dealer from the '30's to the '60's and there was still car stuff in it. On a slelf was this police radio. The remote "head" unit goes in the trunk and is the size of a large suitcase and is VERY heavy. There's a lot of cables that evidently reach up to the dash. There's a hand held microphone (like in Dragnet) and also an old telephone receiver both made of bakelite. I know absolutely nothing about these radios, so the above limited info came from the original dealer's grandson (now retired). I don't know if it's complete or if it even works. I will try to take it to Hershey this week at spot OPJ 26. I'm 50 miles east of Hershey off I78, if you want to come to my place to have a look monday or tuesday. I'll be going to Hershey wednesday. If you're listed at Hershey as a commercial vehicle vendor, i'll probably come visit you to try to unload this thing.

Phil Wright

610-562-4878

Vriginville, Pa.

Phil,

I actually have a couple of GE police motorcycle radios that I really should sell, so I am not interested. Just for informational purposes, what make and model radio do you have? The most common are GE and Motorola. The trunk units normally require a key to unlock for installation or maintenance. If you don't have the key, I may be able to help you with one as before my police days, I actually worked on two way radios. Let me know what you have and if you don't have a key for it, I may be able to bring one with me to Hershey.

I checked the radio and everything has General Electric on it, except the phone receiver with the send/receive button, that has nothing. You can plug both the phone thing or the hand mic into the dash mount unit. There is a paper tag on the trunk (head) unit that also has Motorola on it. The locking handle (to get inside?) turns 90 degrees, but nothing opens. I'm assuming this whole system will only be bought for a police show car and will not be repaired for use. If I do sell this, i'll get in touch with you If the key is needed.

Phil.

• 2 years later...
Guest royhodge

Hello Matt, I know you post about the motorcycle radio is pretty old, but is there a chance you may still have it? If so, are you interested in getting rid of it? Thanks, Roy Hodge

royhodge,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Yes, I actually still have the two GE police motorcycle radios. I would certainly be interested in selling one or both of them. I will send you a Private Message with my email address so we can easily communicate.

Here are the photos of the motorcycle radio equipment: https://drive.google.com/<wbr>folderview?id=0Bwkvul_<wbr>TyYjScG9temMtczNVbHM&usp=<wbr>sharing

For a great photo take a look at this site and see the Bike restored as a Mobile Police motorcycle that the radio is going on:

http://policemotorunits.com/mobile--al-police.html

Guest royhodge

Thanks Matt! I really appreciate you getting them out to me so soon. I will send you some updated photos when everything is cleaned, painted and mounted.