Fall Hershey Meet "Like" on Facebook?

starfireelvis

Just saw on my FB page news about Fall Hershey; while I obviously have put "Like" down for the AACA and also the Museum at Hershey, would be nice if someone did create (or already created?) a page to provide updates specifically for and from the Meet.

Have found this to be a great way to receive information without having to hunt for it!

Without being contentious, may I please ask why? The AACA is on Facebook, so is the Museum. And, I am 48, not some young, Generation whatever kid.

One salient point for you to consider--Left, right, up, down, and sideways, almost everyone in the old car hobby is worried to one degree or another, about the "graying" of the membership of their respective organizations, and how to attract younger people into the hobby. To do this, like it or not, you must "get to them" via the means in which they utilize for communication--and in 2011, that includes Facebook.

I, too, had a disdainful attitude to some degree about Facebook when it was first introduced. I don't particularly care to read about what some people decide to put on there about every waking minute of their lives. The VALUE of Facebook is that, by me selecting "Like" for the AACA, the Museum, or anything else in this whole wide world that I am interested in, guess what happens. Whenever the AACA has something to say or announce, they send it to all the people who "Like' them, and now--I am an INFORMED person, as the news has COME TO ME, not me having to search for it.

To each their own, and you are free to ignore or not sign up for these new means of communication. However, just because you don't like it, don't begrudge MY desire to utilize this new, and effective, means of communication and information.

I agree with you starfireelvis. It would be relatively easy to set up, it would be a valuable tool for attracting the younger generation, and it does nothing to harm anybody who does not participate in facebook.

I too receive updates from AACA via facebook. It is simply another communication method. I visit this site constantly, I receive speedster emails from headquarters, and I also use facebook, and to a lesser extent Google+. Eventually Twitter will probably end up in the mix as well... I just have not gotten into that one yet.

Here is a GREAT example of how HELPFUL Facebook can be. Back during the first week of September, and all the flooding in the Hershey area, I "searched" for the Derry Township Police Department on Facebook; Derry Twp. serves the Hershey area.

So, as simple as this, I clicked "Like" for the DTPD, and as I said, ALL updates for the flooding and all goings-on directly from the Police Department CAME TO ME without having to search for it and wonder what was/is going on. That truly is an invaluable service, and I dare say as a result, even though I'm 330 miles from Hershey, I am as up to date and informed as anyone could be from a remote location outside of Hershey.

So, you see, "Facebook" isn't just some sort of amusement or pastime, it is another resource for information, and as I have said time and time again, the news COMES TO ME without me having to spend time researching it. How anyone could object to that is beyond my comprehension.

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Um, that's why it's called "social" media and not private media. I love Facebook and Twitter and use both platforms to share information about our museum and antique cars in general (even sent out a tweet about Hershey a few days ago).