OK, HOW OLD ARE YOU?? FUTURE OF LZOC

Mssr. Bwatoe

I have noticed a change in the club magazine, reminds me of the Continental Comments of past years...lots of pics of a few cars and folks with trophys. Seems more and more obits and reflections from retirees. I have been reading it since the beginning, and through several editors..,it has always featured a half dozen members and their very high end cars. I was saddened to read of Mr Coombs passing, and recall him telling me at Dearborn '89 that the cars were too old to drive anymore, saddened I grumbled away and thought, gee I guess I missed the boat...

Well 20 years later, I am really enjoying my car but not the club or the oddly timed meets..Soooo, the question is.....what is the future of this LZOC...seems most active members are getting up there!! see this thread http://forums.aaca.org/f169/our-future-board-directors-312486.html

Most car guys that I know are rodders...they like my 12, but chuckle and cant believe I actually drive it! I am 52... I know jim zephyr and Paul 40zeph

are 2 good exceptions...but just curious...Are these car destined to be museum pieces and rat rods?? Lzoc fades away after Mr Cole stops, rumor has it Mr A from PA is looking to move his priceless 39....and talk seems to often focus on leagcys as opposed to roadtrips.... Long live Bob Olmstead!! (see your magazine index)

OK, 65 in November, but not feeling it nor ready for retirement, tho I'd get the '41 done a lot quicker if I did. I think Cole does a very professional job on TWOTZ but I miss the get-your-hands-dirty journalism that should at least be covered in Tech Tips, and I do sense a bit of elite-ism. I'm less interested in what bracket came with center bumpers than how to seal a transmission leak. I'm a little irked that I gave him lots of information on Rolf Burdette, who contributed his vast knowledge, skills, and parts to many of us but he hardly got a mention in the obits. Still, I'll never want Cole's job.

Well Hello I am 72 and was a member back in 59 LCOC and was there when the LZOC was started. I recently rejoined both clubs and AACA mainly to sell parts that I was storing. Instead I bought a 42 Lincoln Continental coupe that had been in storage for 45 plus years. What a differance 31+ years has made in the clubs and parts. I am trying to build a driver I always enjoyed driving my L C's and I had a senior 42 back in 62-63. LCOC. The computor has changed our world I would go to meets with a parts list and problems of restoration. Now I go to my computor and have answers in no time at all.

I believe the club will keep going but it has and will change as we all do. I was only doing original upholstery and Bob Anderson told me back in the 70's that I had to change or become obsolete. I now do a lot of original but street rod and customs pay the bills. I still enjoy auto upholstery just a different attitude. Leroy Waldren Fort Myers, Fl,

Happy Birthday Keith!! thanks for responding...you are one of the young'ins

I have always felt like a beginner who looked up to guys like Jake F and Bob Anderson, and of course our friend Mr Murphy and his very nice wife (God rest her soul).

The old guard is fading away...that was my point.

Did Mrs. Murphy passaway?

I am 76 and about to retire from a 44 yr career with State Farm as an agent. A wonderful experience I might add. Our cars are a classic thing of beauty. The design put into a three d object by Bob Gregorie will live long after we are ALL gone. There will always be those who appreciate these cars and they will keep the faith and the" faithful" alive. The organization I really appreciate.

The wisdom and information coming from this org is a wonderful well spring. I have to believe that the latter is the life blood. Thanks to everyone who helped me rebuild my 48 LC. Glenn Lorei b6vt

Will turn 65 at the end of October, and don't look or feel a day over 64, honest! Rode the Harley from Kent, Ohio to Wyoming and Montana this summer so driving a Lincoln should be a snap.

My plans with my 41 Continental are to finish it this winter which only requires the motor installation and replacing the top motors and screws with a set I recently bought. Then to take it to one national Lincoln meet for judging, then watch out world cause I will put the top down and drive it as it was meant to be.

I have been a member of LCOC, or should say used to be for years, then as it started getting away from V-12's I started moving away from LCOC. Joined LZOC a few years ago and it was light years ahead of anything the LCOC offered at the time in my opinion.

As a lot of us are baby boomers, I think it is only natural the shift in direction of the club magazine but as the pendulum swings, younger members will step up and bring the focus back the other direction.

I personally would love to see more interest in small local gatherings a couple of times a year with our cars being actually driven and enjoyed. The national meets are fine but once a year doesnt really do much for those of us to actually get out and enjoy our cars.

John Murphy's wife Marjorae did pass away, a wonderful lady and a horrible loss to everyone that knew her.

Tom

post-55048-1431386744_thumb.jpg

Guest zazothex

Well, shoot. Looks to me so far that I'm the Spring chicken here. I'm 31.

I enjoy the LCOC when it comes, but having come up on hot rods and more DIY-focused stuff, I can see what you're talking about. I would love more tech tips and "dirty hands" articles. But that being said, our rides are supposed to be show pieces. Even daily drivers are better looking than almost anything out there. So I understand that if the average age of the clubs are skewing high, they would be more inclined to show off their labors of love. I like all the pictures -considering that my '48 is so far from complete that those pics give me something to hope for.

ok here i go, i am 72 and the only thing i say is if i can not drive it i dont want it.

1937 chevrolet------takes me coffee ever morning.

but i drive them all-------dont really care for car shows

1947 V-12 Lincoln

1948 flat head cadillac

1956 thunderbird

1927 Huomobile

Well here is my "2 bits" I agree with a lot Tom Overfield said. I have been in the

LZOC since 1986 , charter # 86 . When I started my 1st car , a 1942 LC cab

I joined the LCOC, that lasted until about 1972 or 1973 when that club seem

to be going in a different direction. I'am a "hands on " type of car guy and

so was my mentor , Tom Learch. It took me 32 years to finish my 1938 LZ

conv. coupe, and what did I do at the age of 69; I bought a sad 1948 LC

coupe and here we go again ! Several nights this summer I have worked un-

til 11:30 pm trying to save this part of Autumotive History. Enough about me,

if the club is going to continue, we need more "hands on " type of members. I

feel the hobby is about the cars , not the money . It is a great feeling to hear

a HV12 engine come back to life after so many years neglected. Sorry if I ramble on, I think I used "4 bits"

Larry Butcher

Well, I turned 78 a couple of weeks ago, and sometimes I really feel it. However, I just embarked on a project to install a Columbia Overdrive in my 1941 Lincoln Continental. It's somewhat more difficult now than it used to be.

I've been a member of LCOC since aquiring my 1947 Lincoln Continental in Santa Maria, California in 1964, where I first met Dave Cole. I didn't find out about the LZOC until about 1970, after relocating from Santa Maria to Los Angeles.

I got lucky in 2005 and got the 1941 Lincoln Continental I've REALLY wanted ever since I can remember. It's amostly original (tired) car with 84k miles on it and it definitly needs the Columbia Axle!

Now that us old-timers are passing away, I wonder what the LZOC will be like in a few years......

post-31768-143138675038_thumb.jpg

post-31768-143138675041_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil Knapp (see edit history)

Guest hannibalhann

hi y'all, turn 63 on labor day !!!!!!!!!!!!! an old lincoln zephyr guy named sherman renard???? was a president for the lzoc he live in burton, oh. i think? i was about 32yr old turn me on to lincoln zephyrs boy did he have some cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)larry

post-42794-143138679807_thumb.jpg

Great responses guys!! I was turned on to Lz's from charter member Tom Mauder, He took me to a Lcoc meet in Angola Indiana, 71/ 72?? I was hooked..I always liked old cars (all 12 years of my life) but when I saw those gleaming aluminum heads and awesome shiney engines ..I knew I had found my true love.... Tom included his nephew (jim zeph) and I on his Lincoln excursions....He taught me the Lincoln Faith....and he was strict..it had to be as Henry built it period... Sherm Rinard...he had a Custom I believe..is he around anymore??

Edited by Mssr. Bwatoe (see edit history)

Well the issues are that the cars are not desirable to a younger age group, nor are they able to buy them due to the astronomical prices for the cars and parts. The younger generations also have no memory of these cars, nor sentimentality. Those are the issues.

Sherm Rinard in Burton, Ohio? Is this the guy that had a couple of HUGE buildings full of cars and parts mostly all Lincolns?

I went with Tom Lerch and several other guys to his home one winter to look at a 40 Continental Convertible he had stored in a barn a few miles from his home. After we finished there, we went to his home and had a tour of one of the buildings housing I dont know how many cars and floor to ceiling shelfs with Lincoln parts, and that was just one building. If this is the same person, I think he passed away not too long after we were at his home.

Interesting thread. Perhaps the fate of the Model T can be instructive. All the folks who bought them new are gone. Most of their children are going, or are getting too old to drive. A whole new generation is buying, joining clubs, and enjoying. I think my car will be around long after I'm gone.

I'm in the middle of the pack, 65, and when I retired, I bought a motorcycle, and electric guitar, and a 48 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet. No lack of things to do around here.

Abe

Guest 40-41 connies

Talking to Peecher the other day about my age of 81 and the fact that the Lincoln starters

have increased in weight in the last ten years. That is if you have to lay on your back and lift

one out and another one in to bolt up.

Talking to Peecher the other day about my age of 81 and the fact that the Lincoln starters

have increased in weight in the last ten years. That is if you have to lay on your back and lift

one out and another one in to bolt up.

It seems like all parts have gotten heavier. I'm 72 and was only 20 when I restored my first 42 coupe. This one is taking a lot longer. Lee Waldren

Guest Fortyone

I'm 74 and still love to drive my '41 continental.

I once had the chance to trade a '39 Ford standard with a 6o hp engine for a '46 Lincoln convertible. The guy wanted better gas mileage. I didn't trade.

Guest 40-41 connies

Fortyone,

Looking back, I owned a 1950 Studebaker Convertible, 1958 Chevy Impala, 1955 Fprd TBird,

1951 Cad Coupe Deville, 1950 Rocket Olds, 1935 Ford, 1928 Plymouth coupe with rumble,

1948 olds, 1955 Chevy, 1956 Chevy and 1957 Chevy. Traded all of them in{gave away] with

not much trade in value. O why did I not keep them!

Guest hudsoncustom

Well, I just turned 36 last week.

I've been a Zephyr fan for a few years now, but one of the problems I see are the astronomical price for LZ parts.

I've got a 39 sedan, and a 38 coupe. Fortunately, I purched the pair from a friend, but just trying to find a set of 39 bumpers and taillights about put me in the poorhouse! ha ha!

Perhaps one benefit of the high prices is that the younger guys may be building cars that would otherwise have never been looked at twice. My 38 coupe was full of rust, and someone had cut the roof off of it years ago to haul a canoe. It was in such bad shape, perhaps I'm the only one who saw the potential in it!

Thanks,

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim_Edwards

In nine weeks I'll be hitting 70 and with 54 years of being a car freak behind me, I have seen many of the brand and make specific clubs begin to suffer in membership and participation. It would seem the "muscle car" era cars are the focal point of interest these days, and in ten years even those cars will become more rare and too costly for the younger crowd to buy.

I just acquired a low mileage, pristine '78 Lincoln Continental Town Car and while it got a lot of lookers on my drive to its new home in Texas from Eastern Tennessee where I picked it up most of those who really wanted to look at the car anywhere I stopped were well over 50. As someone mentioned cars tend to follow those who remember the times in which they were produced. Of course with due respect to the younger folks, you know it has to be boring has hell for them to hit a club meeting or gathering where everyone looks like their parents or grandparents and retell the same stories month after month after month. Hell I find that becomes a bore. In truth, club shows and meets can even become a bit boring when the same folks show up with the same car month after month or year after year.

If some of the brand clubs are to be saved in part or whole we need to find a way to get them out of "Granny" mode. Sorry, but I do see most clubs and many club functions as being in "Granny" mode and less than exciting.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me put my .02¢ worth in here as well.

The truth is that the face of America has changed and so has their attitude. The people buying cars these days have a instant throwaway no fuss laid back lifestyle. When did whitewalls start disappearing?

It isn't only cars as I live in a historic neighborhood in our city and own one of the oldest houses there (turns 200-years old this New Years) and we have an ongoing battle now with the attitude of city hall to protect these properties. They want to modernize and combine style elements geared towards the 20-something crowds - not true to the original facades and change interiors to no fuss convenience to fit their lifestyles.

Then of course there is the economy. Antique cars are expensive and lets face it... though we don't feel our age we are well over antique status ourselves. Cars we could have purchased back in the 1960s or 1970s dirt cheap are now almost unapproachable to find in pristine or sound condition.

Remember when our grandparents use to talk about the good old days - probably the 1920s or 1930s? We are those grandparents now and the kids driving, to them the "old days" is the 1980s. Geezzz. How many Ford Pinto's do you see at antique car shows let alone the road?

Eric

Well the issues are that the cars are not desirable to a younger age group, nor are they able to buy them due to the astronomical prices for the cars and parts. The younger generations also have no memory of these cars, nor sentimentality. Those are the issues.
Edited by X-Frame (see edit history)

Guest zazothex

All great points. I think there is not so much a lack of "gearheads" in the younger generations (myself being one of them, comparatively), but they just don't dig our cars. I see dozens of students tooling around my local college campus in tricked-out rides. I feel they're no different from hot rodders in the 50s and 60s. Sure, I may cringe at the giant tailpipes and assinine colors and decals, but really it's the same mentality.

What we gotta do is just convince them that if they're going to spend that much time and money on a car, might as well be one with history.

Problem is that they will take a low production and often rare car and strip it down as well as alter the body to make a custom ride. That doesn't help the playing field who wants one that is stock.

Those rat cars and hot rods from the 1950s-1960s were done from basically junk cars with little value. Today people are tricking out cars otherwise would be worth money as antiques. I saw one not long ago purchased from a auction... a car that would have earned points at a show totally restored bone stock. The new owner promptly tossed the chassis and engine and began doing a full blown custom and chopped job of it... OUCH!

All great points. I think there is not so much a lack of "gearheads" in the younger generations (myself being one of them, comparatively), but they just don't dig our cars. I see dozens of students tooling around my local college campus in tricked-out rides. I feel they're no different from hot rodders in the 50s and 60s. Sure, I may cringe at the giant tailpipes and assinine colors and decals, but really it's the same mentality.

What we gotta do is just convince them that if they're going to spend that much time and money on a car, might as well be one with history.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Well, it is up to us to move the LZOC forward. We are the future of the Club. We are the future Dave Cole's, etc. Jimmy, JB, et all ... we are the future!

Rick Gregg

Elkhorn, NE

PS. Go Buckeyes and HUSKERS!

You might well be part of the future should you accidentally find a bit of humility!

Guest 65Starfire

45 and are having the 39 LZ I saved from the scrap (not junk but scrap!) yard painted. But part of the problem is finding sound advice on these old cars. I have a 56 Mark II and there is a lot of info and parts out there but in even trying to find out a paint mix code for Coach Maroon has been a weeks long track to nowhere so far.

That said I think the thirties cars are hitting the same wall the brass era stuff hit in the 80's - if you want to fix it invest in machine tools or pay through the nose... But I am still going to keep the 12 even thought the engine gets dogged by the flathead 8 guys :)

Next on the list to find (after a valid paint code) a Columbia 2spd rear end!

Guest Harry Connors

After recuperating for the past eight months due to a destroyed shoulder I am back working on my 1948 Continental Coupe. I got a full days work in on it Saturday and it was great to work on it again. I just turned 70 and have been messing with old cars since 1955, back then Model A's. I am reducing my collection down to manageable size so I can get the Connie up and running before I depart Germany. My WWII Sd Kfz 222 Armored Car was purchased by the August Horch Museum in Zwickau so I will have some room in my work Hall again. The Heinkel Kabine and DKW four-door departed early October. I think that there will be a future for us as I have seen a lot of young folks that are very interested in the Lincoln's. Harry

I am 46 and a member of four car clubs. The earlier comment about "Granny Mode" is what I find in all of the clubs I belong. Only about 10% of the members participate and it is always the same members. However, to defend those 10%, there would be no club activities or meets especially on a local level with out these dedicated members. Usually, 100% of the work it takes to run a club is done by 5 to 10% of its members. Everyone else gets a free ride. I've done my time as a Board member on a couple of other clubs and done my share. But, political stuff and egos get in the way and the fun gets lost.

The internet including forums like ours have impacted club participation. Remember when you went to meet to speak to a person and view their car or part of their car to answer a question you had? Now we just put up a post and receive a picture. It is convenient, but it hinders the in-person social interaction.

Edited by Paul K. (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest V12Bill

75. I bought my first Lincoln Continental in 1972 when you could find a Lincoln in a junk yard now and then. The price of parts was always high as my wallet recalls, but the parts have never been abundant. I have attended the Eastern Swap meets since the early 70's, my first being at the Zimmerman Holiday Inn just off the PA Turnpike at the Lebonon exit. I left the LCOC after 35 years of membership because they seem to have forgotten that 10 year old cars are not antiques. I like the minutia that Dave Cole gets into. I would like to see more hands on in the tech articles also. I sold my first Lincoln 3 years ago and still have 2 more in the garage, but the high cost of these cars and the present economy has reduced the number of big boys who want or can afford the big toys.

I will be 38 next month. I've been in the LZOC since 1999 when I bought a fairly orginal 40 sedan from a friend of mine's grandfather. I still have the car and work on it whenever I get the chance. I've tried to attend a few of the GOF's whenever I can and I've met most of the guys that have been with the LZOC for a long time. They have been very kind to me and have offered all kinds of knowledge when I've asked for help. As for the future of LZOC, I would love to be a part of it but my biggest problem is that the cars are just so expensive these days. I would love to have another Zephyr or two but the costs of a good example are beyond my reach. Nevertheless, my sedan will keep me busy for years to come. I hope the LZOC can generate a new generation of Zephyr lovers that want to honor the tradition of these great cars.

Guest Jim Zephyr
Well, it is up to us to move the LZOC forward. We are the future of the Club. We are the future Dave Cole's, etc. Jimmy, JB, et all ... we are the future!

Rick Gregg

Elkhorn, NE

PS. Go Buckeyes and HUSKERS!

Spot on Rick! Hope all is well -

JB

Edited by Jim Zephyr (see edit history)

Well, I have done my best with my old cars, and the limited budget I am working with as a 23 year old grad student. My Continental may not have the original 12 cyl in it (it has a merc flathead v-8 put in sometime during the 50's or early 60's) but, I have done my best to keep the interior up (though it is deteriorating due to the heat it was in for many years) I have also kept the paint up (it is about 40-50 years old, some rust, but, what can you do?). Same thing with the others. But, I have a zeal for the classic cars, where many my age do not, I am willing to put my extra $ into an old car rather than a flat screen tv or some other waste. Young people willing to do this are rare and far between...