1934 Model F Roadster

Hupp36

Guest kiliandusey

Hello, my name is Mike Kilian. I have a 1932 Hupmobile Cabriolet and am looking for parts to restore it. I was wondering how your project was coming along, and if you'd be interested in selling it? email mk@kiliantruckline.com, or by phone at 320-251-4228. Thanks

post-95356-143142056696_thumb.jpg

post-95356-143142056702_thumb.jpg

post-95356-143142056705_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...
Guest rcengco

My friend has a 1934 W417 Model F Roadster three window , two door, rumble seat six cylinder - ( I believe that's right) that has trouble running/overheating. I offered to help. He presented me instructions using a vacuum gage to check/set the timing. Is there a way that the timing can be mechanically set set and does anyone have instructiontions?

Thanks for the help

You can reply to the forum and directly to rcengco@comcast.net please

Just so you understand, you are talking about 2 different car models, the W-417 is a 6 cyl. engine And the model F is an 8 cyl. engine If it is the 6 cyl. which I think it is, may be, can you post on here weather it has had any work on the engine such as some body removing the side plates & cleaning the build of rust & debris that builds up there. Just remember we are talking about an 80 year old engine.There are a lot of factors that can make these cars over heat. Yes you can start with the timing. I do not have my book with me that shows a pic of the timing marks. I will email our Hupp Club tec. advisor on this model & I am sure he has a pic. Other factors, radiator, water pump, carbon build up in head. So if timing does not help, look to the other factors. You may want to start a new thread with the Title 34 Hupp overheating.

Guest rcengco

Thanks for your reply Hupp36-

Forgive my "newbee..ism" you are indeed correct. I've only had an interest in the Huppmobile for one day trying to get my friends car going and this is my first day on this website/forum and I appreciate everyone's input. It is indeed a W417, three window six. The "Model F" was my interpretation from only 4 or 5 pictures I saw. All the W417's were four doors.

Back to the running/heating problem with additional information. I guess the car runns with the distributor fully "advanced" ? but overheats in this position. When atttempting to dial the timing back using a vacuum gage, the car will not start but will start in the "advanced? " position. The side panels where removed some 20-30 years ago for cleaning. The radiator has been flushed and "adequate" flow was observed last year. Nothing has been done as yet to check the water pump. My thought was to start with a mechanical setting to get the car running and work it out from there. If you can forward those pictures showing the timing marks it would be a great starting place for us. Thanks

Bob rcengco@comcast.net.

I got an email from the tec. guy & his scanner is in his office & he is going to the Bakersfield swap meet & will not be in his office until Monday If you have access to a Motors Manual in the 30's, I believe its in there.

• 7 months later...

While at Hershey Thursday and Friday helping the club members man the Hupp club booth,We had a chicken barbecue on Friday.After the barbecue, one of our members asked me what I was going to do with my 33 F roadster project. He asked if I would consider selling it to him as he had the parts I was missing and I had the parts he needed to make a complete car. As I was not able to sell the 1929 Hupp A that I had listed, I felt that it was more important to get another Hupp cycle fender roadster back on the road.

We came to an agreement and my wife and I delivered the parts of the car to him. It took 5 days and over 3,000 miles. I am happy to know that Mike will be able to finish the car as he has a good start. Another plus, I get to drive the car when its finished.

Guest jerry serghis

Kevin's posting, has posted some photos of his 1934 W coupe, the same as my car, I was hoping to get some larger photos of his car also if he has some extra parts that he may have that may be for sale. thanks jerry 732-241-7212 or email serghisje@Comcast.net thanks again jerry