1934 Model F Roadster

Hupp36

This may look a little rough but what it is, is a diamond in the rough. In 1933 Hupp produced 260 F models. Most were 4dr sedans, 2 dr sedans & a few coups. It would be safe to say that 1 could count the # of roadsters on 1 hand. There is 1 listed in the Hupp Club roster. I have a frame and correct 8 cyl engine. I did not put the parts on the frame because the frame is stored in a building with 6 other Hupps and today is 1 day away from going to a Hupp Club weekend meet in Conn. I am currently finishing up a restoration on my friends 1929 Hupp A sedan. If any one that reads this and knows where I might find the back half of the body, let me know. All the other parts I have leads on. Hupplingly Yours Chuck

After looking at the serial# tag I find what I thought was a 5 is a 3.. This makes the car a 1933 instead of a 1934. But I will still have the same problem finding the back body shell as they are the same.

post-60296-143138667285_thumb.jpg

post-60296-143138667291_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hupp36
Wrong year posted (see edit history)

This weeked I aquired ft & rear bumpers, headlights,grill,rad shell, front splash pan to connect the front fenders together and the struts that hold the rad to the firewall. The major deal will be getting the back body that holds the doors,rear fenders and trunk lid. Luckily there are a few models that this part can come from.

• 2 weeks later...

After doing some reserch, I found out that 1932-34 Models K, KK, F and I in the coupe and victoria models used back body panels that would work for the roadster, with some modifications. Here is a pic of the back of an F model. I have the trunk lid and the fenders. What I need is the piece that holds the doors trunk lid and fenders. Basicaly need is the back half of the body. If any of you are out looking for vintage tin and happen to see anything that resembles the pic,please let me know. Thank you Chuck

post-60296-14313868672_thumb.jpg

chuck, did you see the cars west peterson says were at hershey? i didnt get to the show. my book says yours is a cabrolet not a roadster. if so you need a boat tail rear body. doug in nj. the 33 hup red one is the one i worked on. but i believe its not a f car. will check tomorrow. need to see the 34 one.

I did not make it to Hershey this year, so I did not see the Hupps you are refering to. Hupp made 3 different models that the rear came to a point to give the effect of a boat tail. The model B,S and L roadsters. The pic with 2 cars are model B's and the pic with 1 car is a model S . The B and S model are 6cyl and the L is an 8 cyl. Chuck

post-60296-14313869166_thumb.jpg

post-60296-143138691676_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Keiser Unfortunately I could not be further away from you and still be in the US. I live in N.H. But looking at that back half of the body you have with my smoke wrench & my wire feed welder, I could make it work. Thank you for the pic. When I see another back of a non Hupp body that will, with some work do what I need it tells me that there is a way to get to where I want to go.

AJ thanks for the pic. The left pic looks like a 1932 Model F, K,kk or I roadster.The rigfht car is a1933 Model K-321. This pic was taken at the 1933 New York Auto Show. The wheels turned and the scenery backdrop moved to suggest speed. Thanks AJ You guys are super

Very cool and unusual car, will have great lines when it is done. A quick thought on the rear, if you could get specifications from an existing car what you need could be fabricated. I attended a meeting of our region a couple mos. ago at a shop that does restoration and coachbuilding in Bristol, CT. CT is not too far from NH. He may be just the guy for this project. Google "Morton Coach" or "Morton Coachworks" if you are interested.

If you attended Hershey 2010 you may have seen his RR boat tail in the Chocolate field. It is around 60% done now. He went over the process in detail which was amazing. Thin gauge aluminum mock up first, then the real deal. There is another guy in RI I believe, with these skills as well.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
added info (see edit history)

I would like to thank everyone that has given me good ideas, but I do not have a lot of money that can be put into this project. I need a back part like what Keiser posted in his pic. I have the ability to fabric one from there. I have a 1923 Willys Knight 3 Dr Sedan and if I get it sold when I get to FL in Dec. I may have 1 fabricated. Last year I sold a 1932 Hupp Model F Victoria and I wish I had not done it. But there is a saying. If wishes were horses, beggers would ride. So I will have to live with what I did. I guess when I found this 1933 F Roadster it was almost like bringing back the Victoria. I will keep Hupping. Chuck

• 1 month later...

Towing a 1930 Hupp Model C parts car to a fellow Hupp Club member in Ohio and then headed to our place in FL. I have a lead on a parts car for my 33 Hupp roadster project. I hope it turns out good , will post the results. Now I know why the doc has me on blood pressure pills.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest jerry serghis

hello freinds, this is jerry, im a new member, i have been working on my 1934 hupp 3 window coupe model W417 for the past few months now, i have gone all the way to the frame and i am on the way up, i have been talking to hupp 36 on this site, and he is going to call me on some info, if anybody has any info on extra parts at all for my car, and steel parts, or any info on this body type this would be great, my email is serghisje@comcast.net and my number is 732-291-7244

thanks all jerry

hello freinds, this is jerry, im a new member, i have been working on my 1934 hupp 3 window coupe model W417 for the past few months now, i have gone all the way to the frame and i am on the way up, i have been talking to hupp 36 on this site, and he is going to call me on some info, if anybody has any info on extra parts at all for my car, and steel parts, or any info on this body type this would be great, my email is serghisje@comcast.net and my number is 732-291-7244

thanks all jerry

You will probably want to start a new post on the topic of your car. It may get lost in this post.

Guest jerry serghis

thanks All, if anywone has first hand parts on a 1934 hupp coupe Model W417 please let me know my number is 732-291-7244 thank you all. jerry

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jerry serghis

hello, your car looks great, who did you use to find parts, i also have a 1934 hupp 3 window coupe model w417 that needs a lot of parts, thanks jerry

• 6 months later...
hello, your car looks great, who did you use to find parts, i also have a 1934 hupp 3 window coupe model w417 that needs a lot of parts, thanks jerry
Well I am following another lead on my quest to find the missing back part of my 1933 Model F Roadster. I have been trying to call this gentleman for a year and decided to go old fashion and write him a letter as the phone calls never made it through. The lead is 4 years old so I am not going to get my hopes up to high. If I do not find it in my life time, I have a grandson who will try to finish the job.

Chuck, I think you are going to need to fabricate what you are missing. If you can get detailed pictures from one of the existing cars I know a guy in Conn that could fabricate it perfectly for you. If the door jambs are the same on the other bodies than a parts car would be helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

Well its been 3 weeksand no reply from the last lead, I sent this gentleman a SASE and it did not return. Next is a friend in Minn. I know that has what I need , Its just getting him to part with it.This is what makes life interesting and keeps us going.

• 4 months later...
Guest Cyclone Kevin

Making an introduction: Hi, My name is Kevin and I've owned a W-417 for about 10 yrs. I was intrigued with this model because its relation to the Model 40 Ford Series. I've owned several Model 40's of different models, One a being an unrestored Woody Wagon, 2 others being 3 Window Coupes, and the last being a roadster.

I happened upon the knowledge of a Hupp 3W Coupe as a street rod back in the late 80's in a Street Rodder Magazines coverage/feature. This particular W-417 was red, and wore FoMoCo front sheet metal. It was set up as a Hiboy and had a very unique I thought at the time "Hardtop Window Treatment". I learned that this body was so close to a Model 40 3W coupe,that someday I'd have to get one.

Mine came about in a email that my elder brother had sent me. Basically saying "1934 Hupmobile 3W Coupe W-417,looks like a Ford". I remembered seeing that feature in Street Rodder and had my brother contact the owner and seeing it right away. My brother was as intrigued as I, he called me back after taking 35mm pix and I wired him a down to hold the car till I could make the 1000mi round trip to see it for myself.

When I 1st viewed this 34, it was in a house! I couldn't believe it, but it kept the car very well preserved. Upon returning home with the car, I parked between my roadster/coupe and realized what I was really looking at was a combination of 2 of Fords Model 40's and Murray Body Co built units. This happened to be really a cabriolet body with A pillars and using an Extended 3 W coupe roof.

This I felt was very Kool! I feel fortunate that I was able to get it. It awaits a partial restoration of its body and interior.

I have often wondered what a W-417 roadster would be like or even a cabriolet? I really have never seen either in Hupp form. Someone has to build one or the other if not both. I'm glad that I happened upon this post.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUNC5RVM6hfO4R6n5rApBPJPHm2IQN8qUe-8CyKPGEw_G5T2Z5JmqvTg1ceQimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6RjKtSQr7ux4SLbO3RxO-30rATXIy6mQ_arltbREB2MXoxJ9OMtzQdJ8glQ

Edited by Cyclone Kevin (see edit history)