What to see on the way to Hershey

Jay Wolf

Only 2 weeks away we will be head to Hershey for 23 consecutive year.

4 of use will meet up in Indianapolis early Monday morning (the 3rd) and head out I70 in the Buick Roadmaster Wagon. Every year we try to find some thing with in 30 miles or so miles to stop and look at to break up the trip. I have run out of ideas. Anyone have any suggestion of collections, museums , great places to eat or anything 4 older car guy would enjoy?

York weightlifting Hall of fame has an odd connection to antique cars. The current owner of York, who has no interest in weightlifting whatsoever, owns a 1929 Cretors Popcorn Wagon, one of only 2 originals of it's type, which was the focus of a very difficult and expensive multi year full frame up restoration. Sadly it is parked in his garage and will likely never see a show field, at least not in the forseeable future.

I was not suggesting that the owner could provide an automotive related experience, but rather an interesting visit to a unique display.

Having been associated with the founder of York Barbell many years ago, I have often visited the site while passing through York, and encourage others to stop in on the way to Hershey.

Ah yes, Bob Hoffman. Bob is credited with being one of the first if not thee first to introduce steroids into sports. Very well documented but of course when he began experimenting I suppose it wasn't illegal. He did a lot for the community in the way of philanthropy before his passing. The York Historical Society has several very early cars built in York, including several Pullman autos, a Sphinx and several others.

Dayton has both the Packard Museum and the Air Force Museum. Motorcycle Museum just east of Columbus, Ohio. Swigart Museum in Pennsylvania. I've always noticed a collector car dealership around the area in Pennsylvania where you jump onto the Turnpike, but have never stopped.

What day are you leaving? Will you be taking any video along the way? :)

We have stopped at Dayton and Youngstown Packard Museums even though both are closed Mondays we made arrangement's and met someone. Stopped several times at the Air Force Museum. Motorcycle Museum just east of Columbus Not on the way to Hershey but stop at the AMA museum every year during VMD. We stopped at Swigart Museum before the auction when they still have the old Olds. What is still in there, I thought the sold ther best cars and I am not in to spitunes and his other collectibles. But might worth returning. But this is the kind of stuff I am looking for. Thanks.

I think we may stop at Cabela's this year. You driving the Packard?

Jay

I will be in the Packard, hitting the road Tuesday morning. I'm confused about your comment about the motorcycle museum not on the way to Hershey. It's right on I-70. You go right by it.

What day are you leaving?

I didn't mean it was not on "the" way to Hershey, I meant that I have visited it several times but not during "my trips" to Hershey. I stop there during a ride from Vintage Motorcycle Day's at Mid Ohio.

I am coming up to Indy Sunday and we are heading out from Indy Monday 8 am and I think we are stopping Cabela's near Wheeling.

I know this isn't quite the answer you're looking for, but if you take the title of your thread literally, the one thing I always look forward to on my way to Hershey (and in fact, on my way home on Sunday morrning), while cruising along in my '62 Olds Starfire, is the beautiful changing of the season, the wonderful array of colors as you drive along the hills, mountains (and tunnels) of Pennsylvania, and the breathtaking scenery of the autumn leaves against the Alleghenys, the Laurel Highlands, and the central Appalachians (if I have my mountain ranges right!).

I'm driving from west to east along the Turnpike, but I'm sure the same can be found regardless of which direction you are coming from, as all roads truly do lead to Hershey the first week of October.

Try checking out "Mershons World of Collector Cars" in Springfield OH. They carry very nice cars. Be prepared, they will make every effort to sell you one of their cars.

They are about half way between I-75 and Columbus. It is about 3 miles north of I-70 at exit 54 also known as Rt 72. Check them out at google Maps.

Their web page is: Mershon's World of Cars: Corvettes and Classic Cars Since 1981

Try checking out "Mershons World of Collector Cars" in Springfield OH. They carry very nice cars. Be prepared, they will make every effort to sell you one of their cars.

They are about half way between I-75 and Columbus. It is about 3 miles north of I-70 at exit 54 also known as Rt 72. Check them out at google Maps.

Their web page is: Mershon's World of Cars: Corvettes and Classic Cars Since 1981

This looks promising.

I know this isn't quite the answer you're looking for, but if you take the title of your thread literally, the one thing I always look forward to on my way to Hershey (and in fact, on my way home on Sunday morrning), while cruising along in my '62 Olds Starfire, is the beautiful changing of the season, the wonderful array of colors as you drive along the hills, mountains (and tunnels) of Pennsylvania, and the breathtaking scenery of the autumn leaves against the Alleghenys, the Laurel Highlands, and the central Appalachians (if I have my mountain ranges right!).

I'm driving from west to east along the Turnpike, but I'm sure the same can be found regardless of which direction you are coming from, as all roads truly do lead to Hershey the first week of October.

I'm curious if you check your gas mileage in the Styarfire? My uncle had a '62 Super 88 2 door hardtop and it would not go much more than 200 miles on a tank.

Here's my qualified answer; I have been getting only about 10-11 miles per gallon, and with a 20 gallon tank, well, the math speaks for itself. My trip is 330 miles from garage door to Hershey, so I start out with a full tank, and fill up twice (at least) along the way--depending on whether or not nature calls during my six-hours of drive-time during my trip. With a 4-barrel Rochester, 3.42:1 rear end, and 10.5:1 compression on Sunoco 93/94, plus some octane boost, and the Starfire isn't exactly what you'd call fuel-efficient. But, as Eddie Cochran once sang, "Who cares!!"

I will be anxious to see what I will now get, given I have just received my car back from my mechanic, after the usual prep for a long trip, and the "new" Slim-Jim that I literally had put in the car three days ago.

I did drive the car up to Cleveland today for the Piston Power Show at the I-X Center this weekend, and I must say it ran great and has never shifted better. Will be interesting to see what the numbers are to/from Hershey. I'll let you know...