29 DeSoto K delivery panel

Guest willeys41

Guest willeys41

Have a RARE 29 DeSoto model K commercial sedan{delivery panel}6cyl, Stock,44000miHas not been started in 40 yrs but has been in dry storage.You have never seen another,Make offer.In good condition.extra parts and engine

My first thought was that it's a sedan with a modified rear window. That was reinforced by seeing what appears to be a more current paint job than "40 years not started".

Then, I see the rear door. If it's not real, someone went to a LOT of trouble to make it.

I'll leave it to the experts, but if it's real that's one rare car.............

Guest stephen48

Hmmm... it appears to have the same dimensions as a two door sedan whereas the panel deliveries are usually longer in the body and badged as a Fargo !

Most sedan delivery vehicles had the same body sides as a two door sedan. Look at Model A Fords or other makes. The DeSoto is a sedan delivery, not a panel truck which would be longer/larger and probably would have double rear doors. I believe that the DeSoto in question would be called a "commercial car".

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Most sedan delivery vehicles had the same body sides as a two door sedan. Look at Model A Fords or other makes. The DeSoto is a sedan delivery, not a panel truck which would be longer/larger and probably would have double rear doors. I believe that the DeSoto in question would be called a "commercial car".

Model A Ford sedan deliveries have longer bodies than the tudors at least the 30-31s.They make a kit to convert a tudor into a sedan delivery but it's easy to see that it'sa fake.

Edited by Dave Mellor NJ (see edit history)

Guest stephen48

The above vehicle has got separate front seats as does the two door.Also there is not an example of such a vehicle shown in the Crestline book on Plymouth/ DeSoto which is the most detailed pictorial publication that I know of on DeSoto.

The above vehicle has got separate front seats as does the two door.Also there is not an example of such a vehicle shown in the Crestline book on Plymouth/ DeSoto which is the most detailed pictorial publication that I know of on DeSoto.

Good to know about the Model A. Are the 1928 and 1929 Model A sedan delivery bodies longer than the passenger car body, too? I see that one pictured is newer. The Crestline book does not show most of the commercial vehicles. Most Chrysler products had those rear spare tire mount holes. If the location of the spare was moved, those were plugged with round plugs. I still say it's real.

Guest willeys41

If you disbelievers would look in The Book,the Ply and DeSoto Story By Don Butler you will see this model K commercial sedan with the side mount.I put Deliverey panel in because most would not Know the differents anyway.This is the real thing,if anyone was serious they would come look.It will be turned into a Street Rod if no one is serious.

I am a total believer....just no money. I will offer my whole toy collection for it. I have a room full and everyone says I must have at least a couple of hundred thousand $$ worth of toys. Let's talk.....I have other trading material. keiser31@charter.net

post-37352-143138665924_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138665941_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138665951_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138665961_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14313866597_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138665979_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138665984_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138665992_thumb.jpg

Guest stephen48
If you disbelievers would look in The Book,the Ply and DeSoto Story By Don Butler you will see this model K commercial sedan with the side mount.I put Deliverey panel in because most would not Know the differents anyway.This is the real thing,if anyone was serious they would come look.It will be turned into a Street Rod if no one is serious.

The photo you are referring to is in the 1930 pages but the caption says among other things that the photo was taken in 1956 . Also that it is in the Pacific North West so maybe it is the same vehicle.There are other comments about it that could be quoted .

Well, they must have made at least two because the one in the book has chrome headlamp buckets and cowl lamps. The one in question (to some of you) has no cowl lamps. Actually, I don't know why some of you are doubting that it's real when we all know that during the depression, you could get almost anything you wanted from Chrysler Corporation. Never say 'never' when it comes to these cars of that era. To add...I have found that the Butler book has a few errors in the early Plymouth section, so it's possible there are errors in the DeSoto area, too.

post-37352-143138666234_thumb.jpg

Hey

I won't question it till I see bigger photos, it is something I'm intrested in, if it is correct, I'm 1/2 way round the world and can't go and see it so have asked for detailed photos (and a start price would be good?).

I'm a potentialy serious buyer, but I haven't had a responce yet, just seems strange to me?

Guest stephen48
Well, they must have made at least two because the one in the book has chrome headlamp buckets and cowl lamps. The one in question (to some of you) has no cowl lamps. Actually, I don't know why some of you are doubting that it's real when we all know that during the depression, you could get almost anything you wanted from Chrysler Corporation. Never say 'never' when it comes to these cars of that era. To add...I have found that the Butler book has a few errors in the early Plymouth section, so it's possible there are errors in the DeSoto area, too.

Hmmm... I can see a cowl light in photos 6 and 10.

you must have an understanding wife Keiser. Willys41, you should reconsider the street rod idea, plenty of them around already and the value would be higher in the long run kept stock, maybe with a more reasonable paint scheme. Do you have a starting price?

you must have an understanding wife Keiser. Willys41, you should reconsider the street rod idea, plenty of them around already and the value would be higher in the long run kept stock, maybe with a more reasonable paint scheme. Do you have a starting price?

Yes....she's VERY understanding. We keep the door closed for my toy room/office. Any woman that will let you have a pile of stainless steel hubcaps in the yard that you can see on Google Earth, is quite understanding.

post-37352-143138666319_thumb.jpg

Very rare indeed. I was a Model K nut back in the 70s.

There are some minor differences in many parts used through the long run of K's which were built from later half of 28 to spring of 1930.

The B&W Chrysler Company photo posted is a very, very early K, and the car for sale is a very late K. A serial number check would verify that, as it should be a higher number comparing the production numbers listed for K's.

There was one for sale in Hemmings in the last half of the 70s in California, and back then I wondered if it was the one that Bulter said was in the PNW in 1956. Might have been this car, or maybe a second survivor.

Anyone seeing it in person and looking closely at how the rear door is assembled, would/should be able to quickly tell if it is not a fake.

Sad thing is, that ultra rare may not bring lots of money as time has marched on. Most people who liked the cars of that age (like me) have either passed away or are downsizing or just can't keep adding to their fleet. I would think an elder buyer with money, would rather find a K roadster or better yet, a 32 DeSoto conv.

Maybe Keiser will hit the lottery and the problem will be solved. :)

Guest willeys41

F&J, If you can e-mail me about the DeSoto i can send new pic i took today and maybe you can tell me something about the car??? willeys41@yahoo.com I think this is the only stock one left??There are a lot of disbelivers out there.I cannot find anywhere for information.Thanks Dave