Heron radiator mascot identity?

hddennis

Could it be inspired by a Hispano-Suiza radiator mascot--which used a Stork? Maybe an aftermarket representation? The most obvious difference is the neck and head on this mascot arc upward--on the Hispano-Suiza they droop.

Here is a link to a picture of a Hispano-Suiza ornament.

Trivia question: What was the origin of the stork mascot used on the Hispano-Suiza?

Edited by 36chev (see edit history)

Wasn't the stork a WWI Fighter squadron emblem?

Howard Dennis

Yep--that's it! It was a French squadron--perhaps tying it to the French origins that you discovered. I've been interested in WWI aviation ever since the Red Baron and Snoopy were big in the 1960's. Here 's quick link to more for the curious.

Been there, too! It was about 30 years ago when my brother was living near there. A great place--along with the flying what is really wild to see is the rotary engines running--the whole engine spins along with the prop!

Been there, too! It was about 30 years ago when my brother was living near there. A great place--along with the flying what is really wild to see is the rotary engines running--the whole engine spins along with the prop!

As a mechanic, the thing that most fascinated me was learning the only engine control was a blip button on the stick. The engine, when started would go to full throttle and the only control the pilot had was to continually kill the ignition by the blip button to bring the rpm's down. That and the full loss oil system with the castor oil's side effects on the pilot and the planes being drenched in oil made for some really interesting problem's for early aviators.

Howard Dennis

Howard,

Yep, the stories about castor oil problems for pilots were told at Rhinebeck and I've read about them elsewhere. I don't want this thread to be censored or to be crude, but one legend I've heard is that some pilots of the total oil loss rotary cut a hole in the bottom of the seat (wicker), and in the bottom of the fuselage, for some impromptu strafing....

The Fokker Dr. I (triplane with a rotary engine) I examined after it's flight at Rhinebeck had castor oil slathered all along the fuselage all the way to the cockpit. Also, the dashing image (like Snoopy and the Red Baron) of the pilot with the long scarf--I've read that the scarf was there to wipe oil off the goggles.