Tale of Two Pretties - which one to Hershey to sell?

trimacar

OK, so I need to sell one or both of these cars, I have spaces (not car corral) at Hershey, but can only take one.

Which would be the better choice to take to Hershey to sell?

1956 Thunderbird, restored, both tops, all power except steering, which was removed to add air conditioning

1963 Corvette split window coupe, semi-restored, good driver, unusual in that it's a 300 horsepower car with automatic, numbers on engine match VIN, has some paint nicks, stainless around rear window needs buffing

Any input appreciated.....

post-31482-143138656073_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143138656078_thumb.jpg

Corvette, hands-down, especially THAT Corvette. The market for split-window coupes will always be strong. As close to a blue-chip car investment as you can get for under $100,000.

The T-Bird market is so soft, I can find virtually any year in any color you want; it's almost like going to the dealer and buying one new. I think every single T-Bird ever made is currently for sale. It seems that everyone agrees that they're nice cars, but nobody truly LUSTS after one as a lifelong dream, so they're not finding homes now that money is scarce. And when the time comes to cut part of the collection loose, it's always the T-Bird that gets dropped from the team first. And here we are...

I'll also guarantee that there will be two dozen other T-Birds in the car corral, but even if you're unlucky, maybe only one split-window. Unless you're going to put a $12,000 sticker price on the 'Bird, take the 'Vette. It'll surely find a new home on the first day.

Thanks, Matt, makes sense. I agree the Tbird is somewhat of a "commodity" car, as is Model A and Model T, lots out there and you can just write down what you want and go find it.

Hate to part with either one, but too many cars and not enough time to keep them up.....

thanks again dc

Guest billybird

I don't know about the T-Bird market being "soft" A 1957 sold this year for a record $132,000 and a 1956 went for $126,500. True this was at B.J. and I am partial to early birds. All I know is what people tell me when I show mine. They lust. Now, as far as the car to sell at Hershey, I will agree the Vette would be the one most likely to sell at close to asking price because evidently the people who wanted a T-Bird real bad have already got theirs at B.J.

Yeah, Bird prices are strange. You see ones sell at auction for big bucks, then you see Ebay with them in the high teens and twenties, then Hemmings has a flock of them in the 30-50K range.

I'm in the $30K range for the Tbird, the $45K range for the Corvette. I'm in the position of I need to sell, but I don't HAVE to sell. Following along the lines of this discussion, I'd probably play a little bit with Bird price, and it may need to be lower to sell (but it's a really, really good car), but Vette price, well, I kinda like that car, what a kick to drive.....

thanks for comments...dc

Take the vette. I had my 57 Bird up for sale good clean driver. Could use paint but no rust. Ran super, nice interior and tops. I advertised it a bunch and finally only sold it with a partial trade. No one even called on it. Otherwise I had one offer of 20,000 and that was just a little to low. I was selling it to replace it with a larger convertible for the family. There wasn't anything to replace it with for much under 30,000. (I wanted a 50's ragtop)

I think alot of people lust after a Tbird that will never step up to the plate and buy one. It's the same with tri 5 Chevys. I think the more unusual or rare a car is the easier the sell. The phone wont ring off the hook but the guy that finds the add and calls on it is usually a serious customer.

Good luck with the Vette but I bet it will move pretty quick. I always see like mentioned above about 10 early birds there from rough to pristine and some of the nice ones seem to be under 30,000.

Funny thing I got rid of my 57 and bought a 59 Bird ragtop. I didn't even have my shop doors open and a person caught a glimpse of it through the side door and inquired if it was for sale. Never happened with the 57. Probably because you son't see all that many nice 59 ragtops when any show you go to there are always 3 or 4 atleast 55-57's.

Trimacar

If the reason for selling is to make space and not to raise money,

consider this question:

Which car will you miss the most when it's gone? While there are others out there of both styles, one must have more meaning to you. Keep the one you love and move the other one down the road.

Some of these cars get to be part of the owner's family and it's never going to be matched by a replacement.

I wish I had kept our 65 Mustang Convertible that left after 24 years.

Our 1934 Ford Phaeton was sold, but will always be missed, so be careful

of you emotional attachment. If you don't get attached, sell the Corvette.

Paul, I understand your comments, but I'm in a funny position here as far as attachment goes.

My wife always wanted a split window coupe. I made offers on two others over the years, with her consent. Didn't get them. Found this car, and bought it without her knowing, and gave it to her as a present. Didn't work out. She wanted to find one herself and make the deal, so my good intentions were for naught. I was never a Vette person, but really enjoy this car from a driving perspective. But, she doesn't like it nor use it, so what's the point?

The Tbird, I've had a number of them (I think 12 at last count over the last 30 years or so), miss the '55 which was the first I bought, but this one has no attachment. It was just a nice car at a decent price, and I bought it.

So, to answer your question, I'd miss the Corvette, because it is so much fun to drive, but with the other baggage attached, it can go.

Make sense?

Yeah, over 20 would be tough for sure, without a big warehouse, and you'd almost need full time help to keep them all running.

Only have 12, but am thinking 4 of those need to go. Bird, Vette, Austin, and maybe Hudson, the last two of which are projects.

Matt, nice call and dissection!

Mid year vettes always greater demand with the only naysayers being the T bird owners.

With exception to the rare models T's A's and TBirds are not moving upward. Just pulled out an 87' issue of the Restorer-the A's look like they have been at a standstill for about 20 years regarding price. In fact, with the dollar going down as much as it has in the last decade, these cars have actually dropped in value.

I think the law of supply and demand is at work here. My opinion is that half or more of the early T-Birds still exist in one form or another. They have always been popular and continue to be. They are being restored in large numbers. It took a lot more years for the Corvette to reach the same production numbers, so there just aren't as many of them.

In terms of what to bring to Hershey, I think the Corvette is the best bet if you want to sell it quickly and easily. From what I've seen in the past there will be more T-Birds there, which means you're competing against all of those other sellers for the buyers dollar.

Good luck with whatever you bring.!

West, I'd agree with you, except that as noted before, I bought the Corvette for my wife and she wants it gone now, so hard to argue the point.

She's been great over the years about the cars (hey, I've gotten away with lots of excuses to buy cars....need one that color....we've never had one like that before...and so forth....) so, even though I like the 'Vette, it's probably going to leave the stable...

thanks

Lew, you are so right........

It's funny, I'll be talking about a possible car purchase, and she'll start with "no way, we've got too many cars now".

Then, a while later, "Well, what color is it?" And a while later, "Is it all correct?" and so forth, and before long it's "Well, that'd be a nice car to have....."

So, she's great about the cars. The only problem I have now, I've always preached being a purist and liking original cars, not modified. I, like zillions of others, lust after a duece roadster, but she says "no hot rods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" since I turned her "against" them!

David, I know we spoke on the Bird at one point, like yours, my better half is into the hobby, but not into the small birds anymore (used to be her favorite car) - I do think knowing what I do about your car you are fairly priced, and if you avoid the "Hershey Fever (price inflation mentality)" you have just as good a shot at going home empty.

What space are you in, sir?