Car Transport Cost???

Guest cargeek2014

Guest cargeek2014

Hello,

I'm looking to possibly buy a car, but the problem is, it isn't anywhere close. So that's where I turn to the trusty forum. What would be the average shipping cost from Washington State to northwestern Indiana? Or are there any websites I could go to and get an estimate?

Thanks!

Guest bofusmosby

A word of warning. NEVER deal with an auto broker! Only deal with the actual company or the owner/driver. I learned the hard way! Also, NEVER give them your credit card number! This is the way that they get you!

Guest Bob Call

I don't know exactly what Jim means by auto broker, but, there is a service in San Antonio, TX, named UShip (uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves) that is a transportation broker. You tell them what type of vehicle you have, running or not, ship from zip code and ship to zip code and estimated pick up date and estimated delivery date. They have independent car hauler truckers that will give you a bid to move the vehicle. I have not used this service but on ebay a lot of the ads have estimated shipping costs and UShip is usually one of the lowest cost estimates. You might look at some ebay ads to see names of other car haulers. If I used one of these independent truckers I would check with my insurance agent about complete coverage of the vehicle while in transit. A legit trucker will expect payment when the car is delivered and ready to unload. Probably cash usless other arrangements are made before they pick up the car.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

Looking at the Ebay transport estimates was my first mistake. For the most part, these are the brokers. What I mean by brokers is this. THEY are a middle man. They promise you a price to get the car transported, and they ask for payment up front of a certain amount. Then, the broker tries to find you a company that will transport your car for the amount they stated. I bought my car on Ebay, and the shipping quotes determined what I could pay for the car. I bought my car in January of last year, and I didn't get my car delivered until the following May. I finally went with an owner/operator and bypassed the brokers. I also ended up paying about twice the amount that the brokers had given me. Not that the owner/operator was too high, but the brokers had given me a low-ball estimate to get my business. Its a racket!

If someone asks for a deposit BEFORE the car is delivered, walk away!

When I bought my 1922 Studebaker, it was in California. I used Demoise trucking to bring it to NC. The price was exactly what they quoted. The driver called me every day to let me know his progress and location. It arrived in an enclosed trailer, and when they said it would be here. I could have asked for no more. They were $500 more than the next lower bid. I had found out some bad reviews online on the other company. I hated to spend the extra money, but after dealing with Demoise, I think it was well worth it!!! ..B

DeMoise Trk-ing, Inc. - Home

I can speak from experience on this one, as normally I know nothing.

I presently have 4-5 cars coming in by transport. I live in central Iowa. I have a 49 Kaiser coming from near Minneapolis MN and a 36 Buick from eastern Pennsylvania by way of a transporter located near Minneapolis. He charges me $1.25 a loaded mile for the Minnesota move and a flat $900 for the Pennsylvania move.

Transport is expensive and taken into consideration on how much I paid for the cars being transported. In the case of BOTH of these cars, they are rare enough that I could not have located similar cars at similar prices anywhere.

I am getting a 48 Packard from Memphis TN to Iowa for $540. I think I figured 600 + miles so that is a good price.

I am getting a 49 Chryler from SW Wisconsin for $300, that is the shippers minimum and is about $1.35 per mile.

Trulyvintage is the most prolific transporter on this forum and I have seen that he goes to the northwest (or west) in his travels. He is good about updating his itinerary so you can see where he is and where he might be going.

One website that I use to get transports is Yesterdays Tractor. You can post ads and search ads. The corridor you are looking at is probably the least likely to yield a result. But a hauler that can handle an old heavy tractor can handle an old bigger heavier car so that is why I like those haulers.

I have never purchased a car from any further then Idaho becaue of the lack of transporters going that way and back and the extreme cost, but you purchased the car, so now I would get on it. If someone wants $2.00 per loaded mile or more, then I think that is high. The average cost of my 4 moves would be in the $1.00 per loaded mile range. In all, I'll have $2200 in transport costs and that's money I would rather not spend but Iowa is not a hotbed for the cars I am looking for.

On the other hand, these are businessmen providing a valuable service. Even if I had a truck and trailer to go pick these cars up it would have a time and stress cost and with gas, vehicle wear and tear I don't think I could beat $1.00 a loaded mile anyway, so it's a win-win. I stay here and make money to pay these guys, they deliver the cars I want for this hobby.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Guest cargeek2014

Thank you so much!!! I'm going to look around at those companies that you mentioned, as well as on this website. Again, thank you!

Don't you dare go with the cheapest price! I had my Franklin shipped from CT to CA and checked with a lot of shippers. I listened to AACA member recommendations and went with someone who was on the high side. End result - my car was delivered in absolutely perfect condition. No problems, no scratches, no delays.

Get recommendations from this site and others who have personal experience. Plan on paying more than you intended.

I agree with the other Jim, no brokers. They can (will) farm the job out to the cheapest wildcat driver that may or may not be dependable. If it is in any kind of remote area they will have a hard time finding someone to pick it up.

I hired one of these companies some years back. They promised me 2 week delivery. They repeatedly told me it had been picked up and when I called the seller it had not. Eventually the seller moved it into a slightly less remote area and stored it with a friend of his. It still was not picked up for weeks. Anyway it took from mid June till late September to get my truck. I got a call from the driver asking for the rest of payment so he could make bail in Oklahoma. I told him I had already paid in full (OK was not on the way from MT to NY). When he did show up, he delivered it 5 miles away because his truck was acting up and he had stopped at a truck stop (I didn't want to wait the two days he thought it would take to get parts). The truck had scratches on the roof and a couple of cracked windows. He had loaded a Cabover truck on the top of an open carrier where it caught multiple overhead limbs. When I turned in an estimate for their "insurance" they never returned my calls and did not make any settlement. There was a Mustang in the belly of the car hauler that was heavily coated with diesel soot, I may have had the better spot.

My next hauling experience was with PassPort, they picked up on time and delivered a day earlier than estimated.

Guest YellowBird

I also would like to warn about dealing with broker versus directly with a transport company and/or individual who hauls for himself.

Several friends have had bad experiences with brokers, even those personally referred by others. They have received their cars late, damaged, had to rescue them from being abandoned across the country (broker 'quit' mid-stream) and more.

I have sold several vehicles and can highly recommend Reliable Transport for enclosed cartage. Likely priced higher but like other companies of this caliber, their service is worth it!

On the other end is Ebay's U-Ship. Several years ago I sold a 1966 Chrysler convertible. The buyer went with U-Ship to have it transported from midwest to east coast. Broker showed up with heavy equipment truck trailer. He wanted me to drive it up the steep, rickety ramps (no thank you!) then secured the poor unibody car in place with heavy binder chains (attached directly to the body so it could not move at all). I tried to persuade him to tie down in a different manner but he refused to listen. I immediately contacted buyer so that he could TRY to intervene. No luck; car was delivered to buyer in severely damaged condition. I heard the transport company 'totalled' the car and he bought it back for parts.

Another car going to Florida by broker had a non-Engrish speaking driver show up, direct off the boat from Cuba. He had no clue how to operate the push button Mopar already on the 6-car trailer that needed to be moved to get my pristine white convertible loaded. I cringed as he opened the door and chipped the flawless paint and parked it underneath a nasty looking Ford with muffler dangling and threatening the convertible top and windshield. The trailer should have been in the junkyard (that's probably where it was found prior this trip north). A friend, FL truck driver, explained its very easy to buy an inspection sticker from a variety of unscrupulous sources. And yes, windshield was cracked when delivered.

I could go on and on.

Edited by YellowBird (see edit history)

I had a couple part cars hauled by a private party, it work out well for me, as he sold a tractor in Kansas, and just add my car to his load. I had another private party who purchase a wrecker in Texas, pick up my 40 Packard, and bring back for fuel. The Packard got a lot of attention at the Grand Canyon where they overnighted. The private party was in the Dodge Ram Diesel Club club i hang in, so it was a trust worth driver.

Here's an idea you can use.

Go to the best used car dealer you know. (A real buyer and seller, not a new car dealer) They can help you and it's worth it for a fee. They will know of the web sites for car shipping where they can enter the car's, location address & destination address (his lot) and what you are willing to pay. The car haulers who are looking to fill their load will either grab it or counter offer. You will have your car in days.

They'll get the car deliver it to you and collect cash from the dealer you have set up the deal.

You negeotiate the fee to the dealer an everybody is happy. It's worth it.

• 3 months later...

Unloaded miles ....

Enclosed or open ....

Unloaded miles determine time frame

The longer you are willing to wait for connecting loads to

the pick up point and from the drop off point ....

The more reasonable your transport cost will be

Enclosed or open

Enclosed usually costs more

Beyond that - realize you are paying for a service

Folks will promise you cheap prices all day long

A promise is not a transport

Jim

I had a 1940 Packard 160 hauled from Eastern centrall Texas to Portland Oregon for $700, it was a private deal from a dodge club, he was buying a wrecker, and I paid the fuel and the extra 300 miles to go to Houston to pick it up.

Worked for me great.

Guest bofusmosby

Beyond that - realize you are paying for a service

Folks will promise you cheap prices all day long

A promise is not a transport

Jim

Yup Jim, you taught me that!:D

Pilot Transport Detroit MI. They were excellent. I would use them again. Shipped my '41 Buick from Mankato, MN to central California by enclosed trailer. Cost $1,155 August 2010. Car arrived with out damage and in a reasonable time frame.:) Very courteous driver.

Wayne

1941 Buick Super 51

post-78086-143138780304_thumb.jpg

post-78086-143138780334_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
Hi, can someone recomend a direct carrier for Chicago area?

Not enough information ...

Are you wanting a vehicle transported in or out of the Chicago area ?

Vehicle type - condition - pick up and drop off zip codes along with

how much actual time you can wait for transport and whether

you want open or enclosed hauling determine the price ....

Jim

Chicago is a tough market to get hauling out of ...

Most guys are full running I-80 full in either direction.

Insurance auctions attract most carriers to Chicago,

they haul out the wrecked insurance vehicles from auto auctions ....

So, guys would like to get there with a load in to be able to haul out.

But Houston is a problem, not much demand to bring cars in ...

If you are driving anywhere near Houston, usually you are full

headed east or west along I-10 ...

Be prepared to wait several weeks to get a haul and/or

pay unloaded miles for someone to go pick up.

Good Luck !

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
Guest bofusmosby

Like I said before, I would NEVER deal with an auto broker. My experience was horrible with them. Not just one of them, but many. They give you a low-ball estimate, and when you go with them, they can't find a driver willing to do the job for the price they quoted. THEN, they say "If we up the price, they should be able to find someone". Also, if dealing with an auto broker, NEVER give them a penney until you get your car. This also means no giving them a credit card number either. Contact an owner/operator for the best "true" deal.

Like I said before, I would NEVER deal with an auto broker. My experience was horrible with them. Not just one of them, but many. They give you a low-ball estimate, and when you go with them, they can't find a driver willing to do the job for the price they quoted. THEN, they say "If we up the price, they should be able to find someone". Also, if dealing with an auto broker, NEVER give them a penney until you get your car. This also means no giving them a credit card number either. Contact an owner/operator for the best "true" deal.

That is exactly how transport brokering works .....

Jim

Guest bofusmosby

Yup Jim, as you remember, you opened my eyes to the "truth" years ago. I also figured that the poster was an auto broker, or worked for one.

I may have missed it in this thread but insurance for damages is a very important thing to know prior to transporting.

What is the value of the car? Bill of Sale or Market Value in your area?

I had a recent run in with bad damage, I got lucky...the carrier is taking care of the full repair costs which will exceed the value of the car. I could have been screwed for thousands.

Make sure if you have a small truck that you are having to transport your product and big carriers also that they have the correct Auth, Ins and documents to transport your products. A few of these transporters run under the radar. If you have any questions about transport, give me a call. Recently semi retired with 40 years of transport under my belt with 4 million accident free miles.:cool: 209-613-1199 Thanks, Dave

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just hauled a Buick from California to the BCA National in South Bend IN and then on to Wisconsin for a buddy in the BCA. I was going there anyway to pick up a parts car, so he only paid for my gas one way....

Many on this forum have both open and enclosed car trailers and will travel empty one way to pick up or deliver a car. If you post your need on this forum, you can get lucky and have a true car guy haul your car for relatively low $$. Keep in mind that out west we have several high mountain ranges and long distances between cities that add cost for transport.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeoffrei

In a couple of months I'll need to have my truck shipped from NJ to CA, has anyone dealt with shipping vehicles in these 2 states and know what the price is? I know more about car shipping overseas costs as I had my car shipped from Uk some years ago with bidux but Ive never dealt with domestic transportation.

Edited by Jeoffrei (see edit history)

Guest My27ChryslerModel50
In a couple of months I'll need to have my truck shipped from NJ to CA, has anyone dealt with shipping vehicles in these 2 states and know what the price is?

Ive used Transport review dot com.. Excellent rating services of the top transport company in the country... Check them out and call the top company for costs..

Transport Reviews.com - Ratings and Reviews of Auto Transport Companies - Your Source For Finding a Quality Auto Transporter!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest shovelhead

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to stop into this thread as I have read that many have had some bad experiences shipping their vehicles. If you do a search for auto transport and fill out a quote that says get 6-10 free quotes then this is where your problem came from. These sites are lead generators and they sell your info to transport companies. These companies know that your info is going to 6-10 others therefore they compete for your business. By doing so you get those companies that want your business so bad that they give a very low quote and then hit you up with a higher price once they set a driver up for you. This is bad business and places a negative tone throughout the industry. Remember, carriers also have in house brokers, so you cant really say avoid brokers, because you are most likely going to use one. On a side note if you are shipping from California to say

I suggest avoiding the lead sites and get a hassle free quote from the companies that do their own advertising etc. This way you get one quote and one phone call. Drivers get a specific amount to run certain routes, so prices should be within a close range. If anyone would like a quote I can do that for you without any hassle or BS. Just PM zip codes and what your shipping along with whether it runs or not and I will get you a precise quote back to you within a timely manner.

Thanks,

Todd

Edited by shovelhead (see edit history)