Car Transport Cost???

Guest cargeek2014

Guest My27ChryslerModel50
Hi Everyone, I just wanted to stop into this thread as I have read that many have had some bad experiences shipping their vehicles. First, its not so much the brokers that are the problem. If you do a search for auto transport and fill out a quote that says get 6-10 free quotes then this is where your problem came from. These sites are lead generators and they sell your info to transport companies. These companies know that your info is going to 6-10 others therefore they compete for your business. By doing so you get those companies that want your business so bad that they give a very low quote and then hit you up with a higher price once they set a driver up for you. This is bad business and places a negative tone throughout the industry. Remember, carriers also have in house brokers, so you cant really say avoid brokers, because you are most likely going to use one. On a side note if you are shipping from California to say

I suggest avoiding the lead sites and get a hassle free quote from the companies that do their own advertising etc. This way you get one quote and one phone call. Drivers get a specific amount to run certain routes, so prices should be within a close range. If anyone would like a quote I can do that for you without any hassle or BS. Just PM zip codes and what your shipping along with whether it runs or not and I will get you a precise quote back to you within a timely manner.

Thanks,

Todd

I have used Transport Review 4 times(2 cars from Cali) and recommended it to others and not one issue came up upon using there top rated auto transporters that is rated by customer feedback... I feel its an excellent site to see who and what companies out there with customer feedback to support ones decisions..

Guest bofusmosby

Sorry Todd, but I hold the brokers COMPLETELY RESPONSIBLE for what I had to go through. I do NOT like to be lied to, or deceived in any way, shape or form. When I looked into getting my car transported, I knew nothing about how much having a car transported would cost. On this site, Jim (Trulyvintage) set me straight. Because of everything that I had been told by these "brokers", I got pissed at Jim. I then did some more research on the subject, and realized that Jim was telling me the way it really was, and to not go by the things that these brokers were saying. This doesn't mean that all brokers are bad, but EVERYONE that I delt with (there were quite a few) flat out lied to me! When you put dollar signs in front of a lie, this doesn't make it any less of a lie. I finally delt with an owner/operator, and got the job done.

I for one will NEVER deal with a broker again if needing my car transported.

Guest shovelhead
Sorry Todd, but I hold the brokers COMPLETELY RESPONSIBLE for what I had to go through. I do NOT like to be lied to, or deceived in any way, shape or form. When I looked into getting my car transported, I knew nothing about how much having a car transported would cost. On this site, Jim (Trulyvintage) set me straight. Because of everything that I had been told by these "brokers", I got pissed at Jim. I then did some more research on the subject, and realized that Jim was telling me the way it really was, and to not go by the things that these brokers were saying. This doesn't mean that all brokers are bad, but EVERYONE that I delt with (there were quite a few) flat out lied to me! When you put dollar signs in front of a lie, this doesn't make it any less of a lie. I finally delt with an owner/operator, and got the job done.

I for one will NEVER deal with a broker again if needing my car transported.

Remember to find a carrier running your route is pretty tough for the general public to find. If you are shipping say from Missouri to North Carolina who would you call? Most would think they could google a carrier and get it shipped, right? No, most likely the driver that could be running that route isnt from either state. But, a company you may call will have in house brokers that will say yes we have our own trucks but end up brokering that load out because their trucks don't run that route. Keep in mind as well that there isnt always a truck running the route you need. Alot of people think there is always a truck waiting to pickup their vehicle and that couldnt be farther from the truth. Check the reviews of companies like was mentioned in an earlier post and stay away from those lead generation sites.

Keep in mind that every day there are around 20,000+ vehicles needing to be shipped nationwide. Most drivers run where they can fill up and get on the road the fastest. If you are off the beaten path and 250 miles away from anyone else your gonna pay for it. A driver isnt going to run his 60 foot carrier 100 miles out of the way for the same price as the guy thats on the main route. Also, the industry works in time frames and not exact times. Its hard telling whats going to happen when on the road whether its a flat, traffic jam, storm etc. When people realize this it sure makes the shipping process so much easier for everyone.

Our drivers deal with a lot while on the road. For example, I had a customer call me every single day sometimes 3-4 times a day asking about her car. It was being shipped from New York to Los Angeles. The driver showed up early and she made him wait for 4 hours to drop off her vehicle because she was mad the vehicle was early and she was having coffee with a friend. The driver had to sit around and wait because the next drop was 100 miles away and it would have cost him too much money to drive 100 miles and then back with a 10 car carrier.

Take a look at this guide I wrote. It may help you guys understand how the shipping industry works. http://www.ultimatetransportguide.com/redirect.html

Edited by shovelhead (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

I will only deal with an owner/operator, never a broker. It took 4 long months for me to get my car. Constant lies from one broker, and then the next broker I got the same. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Nope, never again. These brokers have a real racket going. Promising the moon, but getting only salt. They lie to you about the price, knowing all to well that they will NEVER get a carrier to do it for that amount. Then, they say "well, if we offer them this much, I believe that we can get it done". Nope, that doesn't work, so they then say "well, they will do it for this much" but that doesn't do it either. Once I contacted an owner/operator (thanks to the membership here), that's when things happened, but not before.

I don't know you, and for all I know, you might be a decent guy. All I am saying is that there are a lot sorry people giving the rest of you a bad name. Like I said, never again!

• 3 weeks later...
shovelhead said:
Remember to find a carrier running your route is pretty tough for the general public to find. If you are shipping say from Missouri to North Carolina who would you call? Most would think they could google a carrier and get it shipped, right? No, most likely the driver that could be running that route isnt from either state. But, a company you may call will have in house brokers that will say yes we have our own trucks but end up brokering that load out because their trucks don't run that route. Keep in mind as well that there isnt always a truck running the route you need. Alot of people think there is always a truck waiting to pickup their vehicle and that couldnt be farther from the truth. Check the reviews of companies like was mentioned in an earlier post and stay away from those lead generation sites.

Keep in mind that every day there are around 20,000+ vehicles needing to be shipped nationwide. Most drivers run where they can fill up and get on the road the fastest. If you are off the beaten path and 250 miles away from anyone else your gonna pay for it. A driver isnt going to run his 60 foot carrier 100 miles out of the way for the same price as the guy thats on the main route. Also, the industry works in time frames and not exact times. Its hard telling whats going to happen when on the road whether its a flat, traffic jam, storm etc. When people realize this it sure makes the shipping process so much easier for everyone.

Our drivers deal with a lot while on the road. For example, I had a customer call me every single day sometimes 3-4 times a day asking about her car. It was being shipped from New York to Los Angeles. The driver showed up early and she made him wait for 4 hours to drop off her vehicle because she was mad the vehicle was early and she was having coffee with a friend. The driver had to sit around and wait because the next drop was 100 miles away and it would have cost him too much money to drive 100 miles and then back with a 10 car carrier.

Take a look at this guide I wrote. It may help you guys understand how the shipping industry works. http://www.ultimatetransportguide.com/redirect.html

Been hauling cars for 40 years retired. That incident with the customer making the driver wait 4 hours? That would not have happened to my driver. I would call the customer and tell them after 30 min, you're going to be charged 100.00 per hour or it's going to a terminal of the drivers choice. Never had a problem and its in the contract that 90% of the customers don't bother reading.

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

Guest MB49Caddy

Concur completely. Do NOT use a broker. I run a business doing this, but can't help you as I am based in DC and don't go coast to coast. Call someone like Tom Sunday or someone else who is trustworthy. I started my business because I was so upset with the way my car was shipped using a broker...

Regards,

Matt B

Guest MB49Caddy

"I have used white glove car shipping to move an 87 mercedes from georgia to new york and found the service to be affordable and safe"

THAT is a broker. Good luck using that means...sometimes you will luck out, sometimes you won't.

Edited by MB49Caddy (see edit history)

• 5 months later...

I HIGHLY disagree with using a carrier over a broker! I have been a carrier since 1997 and an auto transport broker for 5 years. Unless you are skilled in detective work or know your carrier personally you are taking a HUGE risk hiring a carrier. As a broker it is my job to protect my customers from putting their priceless vehicles on any transporter without first checking that their licensing is current, that they have adequate insurance to cover ALL the cars they are transporting, that their safety rating is at 90 or above with DOT, and that they do not have a negative performance rating with the national transportation review company. In addition, I belong to a national board of brokers and carriers who rate the performance of each and I use only transporters that rate 96% and above. Unless you are capable of having all that information in hand you have no idea what is going to happen to your vehicle. Here is a perfect example of hiring a carrier instead of a broker. One of my drivers recently sent me these photos of priceless cars sitting in a parking lot, UNATTENDED, IN THE RAIN! This particular carrier is using this truck stop as a terminal and brings his vehicles here in nice enclosed trailers, drops them and then takes them to their destination (in this case the port) on an open carrier. I know this company and their ratings and if you did you would NEVER use them. Yes, there are brokers out there that are ridiculous and take your deposit then leave you hanging but like all businesses you do your homework and avoid the obvious pitfalls ("get 10 free quotes quick") and you hire a responsible company that has a good rating and references, like mine. Here is a picture that speaks for itself as to why you don't hire a carrier instead of a broker!

post-60515-143142439675_thumb.jpg

Bonnie McAlexander, Owner

American Dream Transport Services

Web: www.AmericanDreamTransport.com

I HIGHLY disagree with using a carrier over a broker! I have been a carrier since 1997 and an auto transport broker for 5 years. Unless you are skilled in detective work or know your carrier personally you are taking a HUGE risk hiring a carrier. As a broker it is my job to protect my customers from putting their priceless vehicles on any transporter without first checking that their licensing is current, that they have adequate insurance to cover ALL the cars they are transporting, that their safety rating is at 90 or above with DOT, and that they do not have a negative performance rating with the national transportation review company. In addition, I belong to a national board of brokers and carriers who rate the performance of each and I use only transporters that rate 96% and above. Unless you are capable of having all that information in hand you have no idea what is going to happen to your vehicle. Here is a perfect example of hiring a carrier instead of a broker. One of my drivers recently sent me these photos of priceless cars sitting in a parking lot, UNATTENDED, IN THE RAIN! This particular carrier is using this truck stop as a terminal and brings his vehicles here in nice enclosed trailers, drops them and then takes them to their destination (in this case the port) on an open carrier. I know this company and their ratings and if you did you would NEVER use them. Yes, there are brokers out there that are ridiculous and take your deposit then leave you hanging but like all businesses you do your homework and avoid the obvious pitfalls ("get 10 free quotes quick") and you hire a responsible company that has a good rating and references, like mine. Here is a picture that speaks for itself as to why you don't hire a carrier instead of a broker!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]240015[/ATTACH]

Wow! who knew, I would be pissed if I had someone transport a car and leave it out this way....I will save your info: thanks for the heads up...

Steve

• Like 1

Guest MB49Caddy
Wow! who knew, I would be pissed if I had someone transport a car and leave it out this way....I will save your info: thanks for the heads up...

Steve

We can go on about this for hours, but that is why you choose someone like us where you KNOW who is coming to pick up your car. No offense intended but if you call a broker you are relying on them to send someone to your house who knows what they are doing. As a broker you may know some companies, but do you know the individual who is showing up to the client's door? If you do, more power to you, I would call you too.

Our disagreement may lie in that I only transport high end automobiles, so my clientele know me and know who is showing thier car...me (or Garth). I still say I want to know the person who will be showing up at my door. If I don't I wouldn't use that carrier or broker regardless of who it is.

Best,

Matt B

Edited by MB49Caddy (see edit history)

I have only hired someone to move a vehicle twice so I'm sure it is not a good representation of the industry and I'm sure there are good brokers and bad owners. The broker took my money and promised 2 weeks delivery, that was the middle of June. In truth he had no trucks lined up in that area, after not getting anyone to go 40 miles past the end of the world to pick it up the buyer who had already stored it for free for almost 2 months hauled it the 40 miles to the edge of the world and stored it at a friends shop, again for free. Another couple of weeks went by with the broker claiming it was on the way many times, I would call the other end and it was still there. Finally got picked up and after more than a week on the road I get a call from the truck driver wanting me to wire him the rest of the pay for bail in Oklahoma (not on the way and he wasn't licensed in OK). Told him I had already paid in full. Another week or so went by and I get a call and he is at a truck stop 5 miles away and wanted to know if I wanted to come get it or wait till he got his truck fixed, this was about 10pm on a weekend. I went and got it and found cracked side windows and scratched roof. The bright driver put a truck that is over 6 foot tall on the top front of the car carrier where it caught all the low limbs. Filled out papers, took pictures got estimates never collected a dime from "their insurance". By now it was September and I had lost a whole season of old car shows.

Next truck was with a real carrier was picked up the day they said it would be and delivered less than a week later, a day early. Driver would not turn it over to me till he dusted it off and had me visually inspect it. Oh and it was delivered at the end of my driveway.

Amazing that a good story takes so few words compared to a bad experience.

Guest LAT1149

I agree. Our last sale we delivered 1800 miles ourselves. To complete the deal, it had to be perfect. The only way to do something perfectly is do it yourself. Now that being said, we have had some excellent haul services, but it has not been consistent.

Guest bofusmosby

The brokers I delt with (yes, there was more than one) did nothing but promise me the moon, with nothing but lies! I tried more than one, and the ones I delt with were all the same. Once a member here turned me on to an owner/driver, then things started happening. My car was supposed to be picked up in Feb, but only when I hired the owner/driver was it finally picked up in May. I for one will NEVER go with a broker again. I don't like to be lied to!

Guest MB49Caddy
The brokers I delt with (yes, there was more than one) did nothing but promise me the moon, with nothing but lies! I tried more than one, and the ones I delt with were all the same. Once a member here turned me on to an owner/driver, then things started happening. My car was supposed to be picked up in Feb, but only when I hired the owner/driver was it finally picked up in May. I for one will NEVER go with a broker again. I don't like to be lied to!

Agree FULLY. THAT is why I say call someone who OWNS thier own transport business. Heck, I don't care if you use us, most of you never will. Just providing my .02 here. As an owner of my own transport company, I stopped using brokers to help grow my business after the second time within a month when I got screwed being told they had a car for me to pick up on a return leg and when I got there the car wasn't there. As a small business owner I can't afford to get yanked around like that.

If you call us or anyone like us, you can talk to the owner of the business and get your car moved. Why use a broker? No need. Again, I would NEVER use a broker, but hey, it is a free world. Best of luck if you choose to do so.

Regards,

Matt B

Guest Envision Auto

Hello everyone! I'm reluctant to post here...being a new member I don't want you to view my comments the wrong way..but the auto transport topic is a major point of interest to me; it's what I do for a living.

I can say that I respectfully agree and disagree with some of the previous comments that I've read. I've been in this business for 10 years, and I've seen the cycle of GOOD vs. Bad brokers play out over time. Personally, I blame the lead providers and the FMCSA for most of the problems out there. To keep it short, both parties provide a low barrier to entry in this business...and that allows this commoditized service to be flooded with inexperienced agents, and dishonest owners.

This is true for both brokers, and carriers also. While some of you may have had bad experiences with auto transport brokers; I've run into a few bad eggs myself.

A great auto transport broker uses great car carriers. They have a relationship, a history, an understanding of expectations, deadlines, and procedures on how your classic car, or antique vehicle should be handled.

I for one have a ton of respect for what my drivers can get done for me. I've personally done a 48 hour turnaround from my home in South Florida to Easley, SC and back..1400+ miles..arrived Saturday morning, got home Sunday night. It's not easy!

For those who don't have experience even driving a distance like this...imagine what it's like for someone hauling an enclosed trailer full of classic cars. Stressful, tiring, sometimes frustrating (like any job).

I'm trying to make a point without being to direct. A great broker gives his clients reasonable expectations, and always looks out for their (client's) best interest. I lose more business than I'd like to, by being completely honest with my clients regarding how I believe (with my 10 years experience) that their shipment should be handled. I provide a service to my clients that they see value in. I'm not concerned about your "deposit", and frankly I despise the fact that no one calls it a "SERVICE" fee. I strive to build lasting relationships with my clientele, because I know from my father (an old school salesperson) that it's the only way to build a sustainable business.

I'm a confident and honest guy. I believe that my skills are invaluable to a classic car collector, a car dealer, or anyone buying a car. I tell my client's a realistic amount that they will need to invest in shipping their vehicle. 99% of the time, if it's a classic car I recommend enclosed transport. Investing in the right broker, and the right equipment WILL save you money, and a whole lot of headache. If you stay out of the whole "get 10 quotes" racket, and just establish a relationship with an auto transport broker you trust, life gets easier.

Not to toot my own horn...but I have dealers and collectors who call me prior to purchasing cars all the time just to check on shipping cost. If the deal makes sense, great!....everybody wins. I get another transport job, and they buy a car they can make money on. Annndddd they can usually move their inventory way faster because I have access to a large network of great carriers. Again, not knocking the hard working car carriers; my business wouldn't exist without them. I also know thousands of drivers who wouldn't exist without my service either.

Thanks for reading if you made it through. Excited to read responses!

John

• 1 month later...

I'm not saying if you go with me everything would be perfect but you can bet your butt that I am going to work hard at making sure your experience with our company is a good one because I am not a large conglomerate. I am a decent sized broker who still answers the phone and my livelihood depends on my name and my rating. That is why I protect my 5 Star rating with my life...because it is. I don't hide anything and even send you a link with your quote so you can check us out at TransportReviews.com, which is the main go-to review site for carriers and brokers. Here is the link I send all my quotes: http://www.transportreviews.com/company/american-dream-transport-services.asp. Even if you don't use our company, make sure you stay away from the very large companies that offer 10 quotes because they are nothing more than a clearing house that has bought your lead and their job is to complete the sale at all cost and get your deposit. They will price it very low to get you and then once they got you sell it to one of the 100 companies that they work with. Choose a smaller company who has a good rating and who answers the phone.

Next truck was with a real carrier was picked up the day they said it would be and delivered less than a week later, a day early. Driver would not turn it over to me till he dusted it off and had me visually inspect it. Oh and it was delivered at the end of my driveway.

Amazing that a good story takes so few words compared to a bad experience.

Jim, I smiled at your last two sentences. My husband hauls high end enclosed vehicles and he would do exactly that. He is a rare bird and takes pride in what he does. As a broker, when I get a vehicle like yours to move I go straight to my best enclosed carriers that handle white glove enclosed freight. I wish I could get them to let my husband be the driver on any of my loads but I know the rest of their drivers are good. The other thing to watch for when getting a quote for an enclosed transport is to know whether you are getting a "hard side" trailer or a "soft side". They are both considered enclosed transport but the soft side is a trailer with a hard top but the sides are canvas. Avoid those because your car will be no more protected than if it was in an open trailer. The dirt still gets in the bottom and if there is any tears in the canvas your car gets even more dirty AND in winter the salt from the road comes up through the opening in the bottom of the canvas onto the cars. Just one more thing to look out for.

As a small business owner I can't afford to get yanked around like that. If you call us or anyone like us, you can talk to the owner of the business and get your car moved. Why use a broker? No need. Again, I would NEVER use a broker, but hey, it is a free world. Best of luck if you choose to do so.

Regards,

Matt B

Matt, I agree wholeheartedly! If you KNOW a carrier and have good experience with them then that is the way to go. If you DON'T know a carrier and need your vehicle moved and are looking blind, THEN you want to look for a company like mine that IS a broker but like Matt, my company is small and I am responsible for every car moved so I am going to make sure to match you with a carrier that I have had experience with and has an opening going your way. Stay away from the big companies. Once I match you with a carrier and you have a good experience with them I fully expect that you will call them first next time you need your car moved. If he isn't available and I did a good job finding him for you, then you call me and I match you up with another good carrier. Stay small and know what you are looking for and you can have a good experience with a carrier AND a broker. Save this link and look up ANY company you are considering going with: http://www.transportreviews.com

• 1 year later...
Guest LAT1149

The last vehicle I sold, I did it myself. Hooked up my buddy's enclosed trailer, and a couple of good friends and saw the great northwest tourist sites. Great time!

There are great services out there but nothing like 'do it yourself'. Good day.

The last vehicle I sold, I did it myself. Hooked up my buddy's enclosed trailer, and a couple of good friends and saw the great northwest tourist sites. Great time!

There are great services out there but nothing like 'do it yourself'. Good day.

Most people don't have that option and the experience to haul a trailer long distance.

• 2 months later...

Brad can't answer your question because someone else reported him to the moderators. Since he was a spammer, he is now banned and his post is deleted. It would be better to report spammers than to just reply to them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great options when pulling a trailer. A tongue weight scale and a device to put on your hitch when backing. we use these and they are great!! Saves the bumper, plates and great for night time. The scale can save you a major accident waiting to happen if you'r loaded wrong.

Backup Camera; Magnetic Mount;Trailer hook up parking

post-121135-0-15333600-1441410106_thumb.

post-121135-0-35399500-1441410387_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2015 at 4:19 AM, Restorer32 said:

Who carries the insurance? eShip or the individual drivers/truck owners and do you provide a certificate of insurance before pick up? Before using your service I would want absolute proof that adequate insurance is in place.

You as a car owner have your car insured. And me, as a car hauler will ask for a copy. Brokers only carry a 10.000 min cargo ins. When you have a 1 million dollar load, not going to cover much. Broker cargo only kicks in if hauler cargo falls short. The car hauler carries the main ins. 750.000 min liability, 50.000? cargo min. I would carry 2 MM in liability and 2 MM in cargo because I would haul high-end cars.

Reasons for your car to be insured:

#1 Something comes off your car and does damage. Ins companies coming after you and me. 

#2 Your car catches fire and does damage to my truck and or car. Ins company again coming after you.

#3 Act of God, beyond my control.

Bottom line-Ins companies going look for reasons to get out of paying and its getting worse.

This is coming from a car hauler that is semi-retired. Had 10-10car haulers with 4 MM miles under my belt.

Problems mentioned above very seldom happens. Some have happened to me or others.

Here is a good example below. This happened when the brakes failed. Should my insurance be responsible for this? The insurance company did not cover the damage.

image0044.jpg

• 6 months later...
Guest carshipping

I like how most of these people are saying to not work with a broker or to use uShip.  Go ahead and try to find the actual carriers online...... wait.... that's right it is nearly impossible.  This industry is run by brokers because nearly every trucking company in the auto transport industry is a small business that owns one or two trucks.  These companies are not online, do not have websites and have no other way of getting cars to transport unless they use brokers.  As for uShip, I do not know how this company is even allowed to still be in the auto transport industry.  It is against the law to double broker a car and nearly half of the vehicles that are accepted on bids are bids from brokers.  So now the customer has to pay uShip a fee, pay a broker and then pay the carrier.  It is MORE EXPENSIVE.

So, if you people do not know what you're talking about PLEASE don't speak at all.  At the end of the day, 9 times out of 10 you're going to be working with a broker.  It is the simple fact.  Are all brokers good?  Hell no.  Most are piles of garbage.  To find a good reliable broker you need to check out Transport Reviews, BBB, Google+, Facebook, and Google their company name.  Find info on them.  Make sure they are reliable and have good customer reviews.

A brokers job is to get a reliable trucker to take their customers vehicle at a good rate.  Our job as a GOOD broker is to help the customers.  We want to make money, but we also want to the customer to get a good deal as well.

What planet are you from? Takes about 2 seconds to Google, say, Intercity Lines directly and request a quote. What value exactly does a broker add when I can go directly to the transporter and rest assured that they have insurance in place and experienced drivers? If you want the cheapest possible transport with possibly shady operators with often sub standard equipment then by all means go with a broker. I would never entrust a customer's car to a broker.

• Like 1

For good stuff I would definitely go with a reputable transport company or known individual.

However,  I have shipped parts cars all the way across the country and used uship.   In fact, when one guy went to pickup the car he called me and said  "Do you  know this is a POS?".  He was an open carrier and working his way across the country.  Probably less than 1/2 the cost of going the safe and secure way.  Of course, the car was a POS!

Restorer32 IS CORRECT. Any car you care about should be hauled by one of the national exclusive door to door haulers. A truck that only has insurance for two million dollars? What a joke, cars of one million dollars today are common, and sad to say not even noteworthy. I often see a  ten million dollar loads, while most transporters try and split the loads when the values get high, there are so many big dollar cars today it is almost impossible. I KNOW if I use one of the top three companies I don't need to ask for a copy of insurance. I have had a lot of cars hauled from 900 dollar parts cars to the absolute highest end rolling sculpture, I have never been asked if I have insurance or for proof. Just yesterday I contracted to ship a car by air, they did ask for a lot of paperwork, only because customs needed it. Shipping a car is simple, ask someone in the hobby who has done it a few hundred times, you will get the same answer. Ed.

PS. I haul my own stuff as much as possible, no one takes care of my cars better than I do. My truck and trailer receive proper service for EVERY trip. Yes, I spend several hours a month servicing my equipment. Last month after a three day 1500 mile haul I spent several hours going over the truck and trailer.(Truck was new.) Inspecting for weld issues and pulling wheels to check bearings and brakes. 

Edited by edinmass
Spelling (see edit history)

By the way, in 35 years of hauling my own cars, they have suffered more damage from loading and hauling than driving by ten times. I admit I have had a learning curve, and my cars suffered for it. I now make special brackets for my cars to attach tie downs to prevent damage to the car and the paint. Best thing I ever did. I remove the brackets for the big shows, but leave them on 95 percent of the time. Also, most modern roll back trucks can't safely secure a 100 point early car, so custom brackets help if you drive and break down. I carry straps and loops whenever I can in the car just for safety.

On 3/26/2016 at 7:07 AM, carshipping said:

I like how most of these people are saying to not work with a broker or to use uShip.  Go ahead and try to find the actual carriers online...... wait.... that's right it is nearly impossible.  This industry is run by brokers because nearly every trucking company in the auto transport industry is a small business that owns one or two trucks.  These companies are not online, do not have websites and have no other way of getting cars to transport unless they use brokers.  As for uShip, I do not know how this company is even allowed to still be in the auto transport industry.  It is against the law to double broker a car and nearly half of the vehicles that are accepted on bids are bids from brokers.  So now the customer has to pay uShip a fee, pay a broker and then pay the carrier.  It is MORE EXPENSIVE.

So, if you people do not know what you're talking about PLEASE don't speak at all.  At the end of the day, 9 times out of 10 you're going to be working with a broker.  It is the simple fact.  Are all brokers good?  Hell no.  Most are piles of garbage.  To find a good reliable broker you need to check out Transport Reviews, BBB, Google+, Facebook, and Google their company name.  Find info on them.  Make sure they are reliable and have good customer reviews.

A brokers job is to get a reliable trucker to take their customers vehicle at a good rate.  Our job as a GOOD broker is to help the customers.  We want to make money, but we also want to the customer to get a good deal as well.

Uship is not a broker. They are a Freight Forwarding Company. Big difference. And there is a ton of owner operators that advertise in the transport world. Pilot, Reliable, horseless carriage to name a few. Been doing this gig since 74 until 5 years ago. I'm still on the Central Dispatch Board. 

On 3/26/2016 at 7:07 AM, carshipping said:

Uship is not a broker. They are a Freight Forwarding Company. Big difference. And there is a ton of owner operators that advertise in the transport world. Pilot, Reliable, horseless carriage to name a few. Been doing this gig since 74 until 5 years ago. I'm still on the Central Dispatch Board. 

On 3/23/2014 at 10:03 AM, ADTAutoTransport said:

reason 6-2.JPG

I have done this many times. I would gather all my cars if most pickups were in the local area. Go to the truck stop and I would unload my trailer and reload in the order of my drops. Also sometimes to reload because of weight. Just a possible sale pitch from a broker that got this from the internet.

This would not be an enclosed hauler as there are too many cars. Also, I would have cars brought to me at the truck stop if I could not get my rig in your area. I would have a local pickup or bring the vehicle to me if the car could not be driven locally.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:04 PM, countrytravler said:

I have done this many times. I would gather all my cars if most pickups were in the local area. Go to the truck stop and I would unload my trailer and reload in the order of my drops. Also sometimes to reload because of weight. Just a possible sale pitch from a broker that got this from the internet.

This would not be an enclosed hauler as there are too many cars. Also, I would have cars brought to me at the truck stop if I could not get my rig in your area. I would have a local pickup or bring the vehicle to me if the car could not be driven locally.

I beg to differ.  Look at the cars in that photo.  They were LEFT in the parking lot in the rain period and there is no way anyone in their right mind would have shipped those vehicles in an open trailer. I DID NOT get the picture from the internet.  I don't need to pump my business up on here.  I do just fine thank you and have many references to back that up.  My interest here is only to put facts out there and let the customer decide what is best for them.  If they know a carrier and have done their homework, then go for it.  If they don't, then find a good broker (like me - small company with live people that answer the phone) and let them help you get your vehicle moved.  I have no problem letting my customers speak for me and what I do for them.  Once you are my customer you won't go back to risking your car to a stranger. 

4 hours ago, ADTAutoTransport said:

I beg to differ.  Look at the cars in that photo.  They were LEFT in the parking lot in the rain period and there is no way anyone in their right mind would have shipped those vehicles in an open trailer. I DID NOT get the picture from the internet.  I don't need to pump my business up on here.  I do just fine thank you and have many references to back that up.  My interest here is only to put facts out there and let the customer decide what is best for them.  If they know a carrier and have done their homework, then go for it.  If they don't, then find a good broker (like me - small company with live people that answer the phone) and let them help you get your vehicle moved.  I have no problem letting my customers speak for me and what I do for them.  Once you are my customer you won't go back to risking your car to a stranger. 

That statements that I have previously made and the following is not directed to your company.   I have been in this business for 40 plus years as an owner operator and as a broker. This load would not fit in a closed hauler. This is a common practice. Not trying to build it up, been retired for 5 years but still active to help people with transport. People ship 10.000.000 dollar cars on open carriers. I hauled Tom Manahan's (owner of Domino's  Pizza and the Detroit Tigers years ago) 1932 Bugatti Royale  on an open carrier. That was a 8 million dollar car in the 90s. He has a car museum at his Domino's Farm in Ann Arbor MI. I have hauled prototype on an open carrier and on and on. The problem with a lot of brokers that you do not have control over the truckers period. The best broker in this Industry is the (Car Carrier) in CA. You have to meet their criteria to haul cars for them and they pay good money compared to other brokers. Like I said, unless there are 2 trucks that are hauling this load, They will not fit in 1 closed truck. And you can not guarantee that once that car is picked up that it stays on the same trailer. That is hogwash like you guarantee the top spot for a customer. DAS out of NJ would do that and half the time that obligation didn't happen. And that company has been in this gig since 1952 with 200 open and closed haulers with numerous terminals throughout the USA. A lot of bad services would come in when the brokers would not pay the truck drivers and give erroneous timetables that were impossible to meet and on and on. Took me a long time to weed out the good and bad brokers. The Car Carrier, All-American in Burlingame CA and American Transport out of Boston were the best in the Industry for brokering. Most of the time, the transport was paid when the car was picked up. Do you do that with your drivers that you hire?. Post your DOT and Bond info so new customers can look you up to see how your performance is.