Hershey- Taxed to death?

A by the sea

Last year I wanted some nuts and bolts from a major Ford nut and bolt vender. I go to his booth and find the usual display, ask for the parts.

To my surprise the owner tells me he will not sell me anything at the show!!

Seems if he sells anything then he has to do a major tax filing in the state of PA. Kind of out of his budget as that is not a trivial matter as he lives a few states away.

Dennis Carpenter also is not selling any products in PA. He has a huge set up, but you have to call up on the phone and have the parts shipped to your house.

I had noticed that a few other large vendors just were not showing up.

So if you are going intending to buy stuff from a non PA corporation you might call them first to find out if they can sell you anything while you are there.

PA residents might want to contact their legislature and tell them how they are loosing money by scaring away a significant money maker for the Lancaster PA region.

The problem has to do with collecting state tax. You need a license to collect the state tax in PA. Collecting state tax without the license is a major crime. Previously, Hershey region had an agreement to allow the companies collect the tax without needed to get a fancy corporate license. The Tax office decided something was not right and changed the policy. The corporate venders do not mind doing the PA tax thing, but they can not afford to accounting to required to play the sales tax game PA wants them to play.

Steve may want to add the current situation since the above is based on what I learned last year.

The only reason I bring this up is so people going to Hershey are not surprised when they can not buy parts from some venders. We all like saving shipping by picking up big things and that may not work for some.

I do not want to get into the politics of taxes but the fact is that every vendor needs to have a PA Tax number and follow the rules of the state. Some large vendors have deemed it not in their best interest to actually sell at Hershey. I am not sure which large vendors have not shown up as it appears to me that is not the case. In any event, the spaces are sold out this year again and all attendees will have an easy time parting with their hard earned money!:)

Guest Packards1

The problem is with vendors who are incorporated. The filing and bookeeping is harder. I let my accountant do it, but I have to pay him more for the 5 days a year I am there. The online filing part is fairly easy, I let my wife do it. :)

Thanks for the reminder, I forgot to call in my zero sales for the first half of 2011. Just did it and they took it. I have no idea what the cut off date is since they have not send me any paper work giving me schedules since 2005. That schedule says I'm a few days late so I hope they don't send me a letter saying I owe a late fee.

I have the same issue, I try to arrange for after meet sales and then mail the parts, and only provide catalogs and a few display items. I file my semiannual tax on line: no sales to report.

If I was still big time dealer, I would buck it up and file a completed income tax return so I could bring haul more parts. If you file sales taxes, the state will come after for income tax. No to bad deal as I use turbo tax. but that 40 dollars extra plus another 25 in filing fee electronically.

I didn't start attending Hershey until 2004 and there have been way more empty spaces the last couple of years than even back then. I think the way the economy has been the last couple of years has been a factor, but I'm not sure that's all of it. There's still plenty to look at, though, but when you walk down an aisle and people are just using it for parking, well something's not right.

Well, come on, let's call a spade a spade.

A LOT of people use flea market spaces for parking.

A LOT use it for motor homes and RV's, to stay on the field, which, by the way, is a great way to wake up.

Less and less, people use it for selling antique car items.

I've resented before, too, as it's a long walk between selling booths, and as one gets older (and don't we all), steps get precious at Hershey.

I would prefer that the market get organized in sections. If the Hershey Region would take the bull by the tail and face the situation, then there could be a large Ford area, then the rest sorted as needed.

Also, you could designate sections for "parking" or "motor home" only, the people that want to park on the site, but have no intention of selling anything. A sign in the window of a Winnebago stating"wanted Franklin hubcaps" does NOT constitute a vendor space...

But, again, unless the powers that be (Hershey related) start to take action, it's going to be a long walk between vendors.

My 2 cents, worht just that..............

David,

Last year was my first as a vendor. I have attended a number of times previously. I agree that efforts to dedicate a parking/camping area near the action but out of the vendor spaces would be an improvement. I think that it would make it easier for the vendors and the shoppers.

I also recognize that it would be difficult for the Hershey Region to make such a change. It would really be difficult to achieve this by "cracking down" on the "vendors" who don't really vend. I sure would welcome an attempt to set up an area to get those who are simply parking into an area on the side to eliminate some of the excess walking required to cover the vendor areas. Perhaps there is a way to make this a win/win by creating a parking area that would enable parking spaces to generate more income for the Hershey Region in the same amount of space, and at the same time, those who just want parking would just be able to pay less (for a smaller area) than a current vending space costs.

Don't forget, many of those "parking spaces" are occupied by BUYERS. I won't start to worry about who parks where or for what reason. When I'll start to worry is when there are empty spaces not occupied by anyone. With the rise of the Internet, Hershey has evolved from a place to look for parts into a huge "family reunion". In any case, how could I tell my 83 year old Mom, a Hershey attendee since 1968 that she can't come this year because she has nothing to vend? Bottom line....don't mess too much with success. People come to Hershey for many different reasons, some just for the ambience, some to sell, some to buy, some to just advertise their services. One suggestion I would have is to allow those with "Reserved" spaces to give up those spots they no longer use without losing their location and having to reenter the "lottery", possibly on a year to year basis. We have 10 spaces, some years we use all of them, some years we don't. My personal gripe is that the car show used to be the main attraction whereas now it seems the car show takes a back seat to the car corral and flea market. Give the show the prime real estate, let the car corral and flea market occupy the leftover space.

I've been going to Hershey since 1989, the year I met my wife. I love it. Yes ebay has cut down on my buying and selling, but i always find a treasure or two and bring a few to sell or trade. the days of sleeping in the car to save a buck have past, and I now can afford a motel room.

Two years a go I purchased 5 radios and front license plate bracket for my 41 and 42 Packards. that was my find for the for 2009. For 2010, last year a new old stock taillight assembly and restored Jaguar eight day rear compartment clock for my 42 limo. so the goodies are still there.

Let's face it, Hershey has changed and will continue to change. No doubt ebay has played a role as well as attrition in the hobby. However, would be good for the organisors to consider the future direction of where the hobby wants to go, relating to Hershey and it's set up.

Every town in America has a church or two closing up for many of the same reasons. It is always good to project forward and make necessary improvements that will benefit the community.

Many good points made on this board.

I only know two people personally who have spaces at Hershey. Both are parking there and setting out a "couple of things" on a card table. Oh well..............Bob

If those are things I need, i would be quite happy to purchase from the part time vendors. Vendors look for personnel treasures too. Do you thing we should penalize people who don't sell a lot of items, they paid for their spaces. i request a extra space this year, and files for very late and received it.