top material for 1930s woodies. What is it?

West Peterson

Guest De Soto Frank

I'm pretty sure Fords used "sedan decking", like 1920's - '30s closed cars...

If it was not a heavily grained leatherette, then I would think the next choice would be rubberized canvas, such as used on rigid-top sport-coupes and cabriolets...

Got a specific marque or body-builder in mind, West ? ( That might impact the "correct" answer...)

Guest De Soto Frank

Any idea who built the wooden body (ie: Cantrell, Iron Mountain, Campbell, etc.) ?

I would lean towards the heavily "grained" sedan decking...

Le Baron-Bonney would definitely have a selection, and probably pictures on-line...

Guest bkazmer

LeBaron-Bonney-Hampton will send samples swatches too. I'd be careful of using "leatherette" - it's very broad as it's just a marketing term for vinyl

Folowing Restorer, "cobra long and short grain vinyl topping" I believe will get you where you need to be in communicaiton with these vendors - LB of course is the place I would start with also, but I think most of the big A parts suppliers have it also. Most vehicles, I think, use the long grain, especially Fords.

I have heard the trick old timers use with this material is let it set on blacktop in the hot sun for a couple hours, so it stretches a bit for installaiton and will give a nice tight look when done. obviously this is something to be done on a warmer day. (I had one doen but it was done at a shop indoors in the dead of winter...)

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I think that different manufacturers probably used some different terms to describe the top fabric. What is wrong with calling it "top fabric" or "top material"? May not be elegant, but it gets the point across clearly.

I try to give our readers a little more description than that. Just like when talking about the upholstery of a car, we say leather, or mohair, or vinyl, or Bedford Cord, as opposed to "the seats are covered with fabric."

Since there are a few different types of material used for tops, I like to try and be more descriptive. Sometimes this alleviates a reader from calling me and asking for contact information of the car owner. "Can you get me in touch with so-and-so? I'm restoring one and would like to know just what type of fabric he used on his top."

Then, I would call it whatever the owner calls it. If the owner restored it, he or she should know. If one of us gives you a suggestion, we might be wrong. Since there does not seem to be agreement here on what to call it, I would defer to the owner. Good luck with it.

Guest 1hooligan

West, just to throw my 2 cents worth in, be sure to use all of the proper under layments.

Most use off white linen, then galvenized chicken wire, then cotten batting, then the top overlayment as discribed before. Best regards, Pat O

Guest De Soto Frank

"Sedan decking" would be the appropriate "period" term, w/o getting into grain patterns, etc.

( Period. ;) )

It is more specific than "leatherette", and was used fairly exclusively for one purpose: automobile roofs for closed cars & trucks prior to WW II, and wood-bodied wagons until their demise.