Interesting car...............

HarryJ

• 3 years later...

I guess he had a lot of cars. I am interested in the two seater armored 540K called the Blue Goose. This was the car captured by 101st Airborne in 1945 and given to Gen. Maxwell Taylor to drive around. Then it was brought back to the US and displayed at a military base as war booty. Then bought by Dr. George Bitgood who hid it most of the time but then inexplicably displayed it in a fair,charging people to see a "Hitler car." Eventually a buyer from Sweden bought the car, flying in from Europe and buying it from Jim Champion. The buyer represented Carnlough Int. Ltd. of Guernsey. who vowed to restore it, bullet hole and all, as it was found by US forces rather than showroom new. I am curious to know what Bitgood paid for it and who he bought it from (I think he bought it form the US government!) when it was still a "barn find". Less interested in what Carnlough Int. paid for it. I think I saw the car through the fog at Pebble Beach with the bulletproof shield that can be raised behind the two seats, but I don't remember seeing the bullet hole.

Goering had another four seater 540K which somebody was trying to sell on ebay UK but ebay UK refused to run the ad as they felt the car represented something that fell in their "hateful" category. Plus he had a 770K but you can stretch this subject out to include every car he ever used, so I'd rather concentrate just on the Blue Goose for now...