1929 4 door

Barnbikes

Thanks for posting Barnbikes. Of course, it's not a Special but do any of you Pre-War sleuths know what model it is? Looks pretty good to me.

Thanks for posting Barnbikes. Of course, it's not a Special but do any of you Pre-War sleuths know what model it is? Looks pretty good to me.

Photos have gone but I believe it was a 29-27 4 door sedan.

Your right, they weren't called a Special at that time but were officially designated Series 116 ( derived from the wheelbase ).

This Series went to a 118" wheelbase in 1930 and was then designated " Series 40 ".

Then in 1931 with the introduction of the straight 8, Buick really confused us by deleting Series 40 completely, replacing the Marquette Series ( sometimes referred to as Series 30 on 114" wheelbase ) with the Series 50 ( also on 114" wheelbase and early models using some leftover Marquette parts, including an open driveshaft and Hotchkiss rear end ). The Series 40 of 1930 ( 118" wheelbase ) became the Series 60 in 1931 ( 118" wheelbase) , Series 50 became Series 80 and Series 60 became Series 90.

So it is very easy to become confused when comparing models between 1930 and 1931. A Series 50 car of 1930 which is the middle Series on a 124" wheelbase became the smallest series in 1931 on a 10" shorter wheelbase.

Hope I haven't confused you too much Bryan.

Stuart

I don't and can't spend the kind of time on those late 20's early 30's Buicks to remember the differences. Too bad the photos dropped off because it looked longer then 114" wb, but photos weren't the best. Had two tone paint and looked like it was loaded up with accessories.

Thanks for the explanation.