Intermittent Driveability Problem

Guest blue72beetle

Guest blue72beetle

Lately I've been driving the vert more, and have been noticing a problem. After a hot spell, such as slow stop-and-go through town, or sitting in a drive through (like tonight), the car would drive like it went into limp mode. I had thought I had a transmission problem, but when it did it tonight, I paid more attention, and I don't believe it's in limp as I had all gears. It would be slow and sluggish and 'chug' along. I started to think ignition, and when I got home I popped the wires off and found this.

Does this sound and look like a dying coil pack to you?

P8192968.jpg

On another note, I put some chrome Riviera wheels on with new Fisk Classic 215 60R16's, and my horrible shake and shimmies went away! Now this car is a pleasure to drive, and the only shake is due to the lousy roads around here.

P8162967.jpg

Edited by blue72beetle (see edit history)

Guest blue72beetle

I've read that Magnavox is lousy, but why exactly? And what all would I need to convert?

I took the plug wires off to show that the center terminal is corroded. Every other one is perfectly clean. I've been told in the past that this is a sign the coil going bad.

Guest Recian

are those 2 trails in your driveway in the pics from the reatta too? :P The magnavox system has a weaker ICM and does not have the capability to change individual coil packs ($14.95 at rock auto) as opposed to the magnavox coil (solid all 3 coils for $74.95 at rock auto) and chances of finding a good delco ICM in the junkyard is good. I'll be going to youngs tomorrow and every GM 3800 has the delco ICM on it still. I may pull a few for such a purpose

Guest blue72beetle
I had one terminal like that. I upgraded to the Delco, and my rough idle went away, but my '89s still very sluggish like you're talking about.

It's pointing towards a fuel filter so far for me.

I hope it's not the fuel filter. It's only happened twice so far, and it seems to happen when it gets hot. I took a long drive out in the country and it drove fine. Only acted up after I sat in the drive through at Chick-Fil-A.

are those 2 trails in your driveway in the pics from the reatta too? The magnavox system has a weaker ICM and does not have the capability to change individual coil packs ($14.95 at rock auto) as opposed to the magnavox coil (solid all 3 coils for $74.95 at rock auto) and chances of finding a good delco ICM in the junkyard is good. I'll be going to youngs tomorrow and every GM 3800 has the delco ICM on it still. I may pull a few for such a purpose

I should go to a junkyard and replace this with a Delco and see what happens. It'd be cheap enough. Unless you want to make a couple bucks extra and send me a set for conversion?

I had just washed the vert when I took that picture, so that's water. But the red one did leak oil all over the driveway for awhile, easy pan gasket fix.

With that much corrosion, I bet the inside of the plug wire boot also looks bad. So you might want to consider replacing the plug wires. Maybe wires, plus cleaning up the coil tower, are all you need. An easy test would be to clean up the coil tower and 'borrow' a #2 plug wire from your red Reatta.

...On another note, I put some chrome Riviera wheels on with new Fisk Classic 215 60R16's, and my horrible shake and shimmies went away! Now this car is a pleasure to drive, and the only shake is due to the lousy roads around here.

Very nice. Thanks for showing the photo of them. My Reatta has the exact same color scheme as yours, and I have been considering using the same wheels.

Edited by wws944
easy test (see edit history)

Guest Recian

I didnt have a chance today but I plan to go next wekend so i'll try to pick up a few then. I wouldnt trust a junkyard MAF sensor, it's a very sensitive and delicate sensor and after it sits in the yard awhile you'll be hard pressed to find a good one

Guest Recian

Ive never had good luck with MAF sensors since once that strip gets dirty the only way to clean is to wipe it and once you do it wont run right after. I tried that on mine lol Good thing is i usually dont see one over $200 and knowing i've got a new one with lifetime warranty from advance if mine does fail i'll just take it to them and get a new one. As long as you keep your air filter clean you generally dont have issues, at least my reatta hasnt. My nissan was a diff story. Note to anyone: Dont go drive a MAF car with a cone filter after washing the engine bay it WILL fry the maf lol

There's one from a junk yard working good in mine. (Thank's Dave)

I see no reason why they would go bad sitting there. They can be easily cleaned if it's dirty.

Thanks for the compliment Ronnie! Always willing to help out a friend.

I buy them as I find them. I have been mostly lucky with those that I find. Padgett is right, they are protected and should be good. I think I have 6-7 or so, I keep them in lunch meat containers [the containers like tupperware, also how I store light bulbs too].

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blue72beetle

Well I figured out the problem. Or rather, I further narrowed it down. It's not the coil, it's the brakes. Drove it some more yesterday to see if I could figure some more out, and after awhile it started acting up. I put it in neutral on a slight incline and the car wouldn't move.

The brakes seem to be locking up and then the engine has to fight against them to move the car. This causes the engine to stutter and act sluggish, which is why I thought it was a coil. Collapsed hoses? Bad calipers?

Last weekend I went to a local pick n pull to get a coil. All the 3800's were pretty well picked clean. I did find a coil from a 94 Bonneville, paid $22, and when I got home it was no good. Car wouldn't start at all.

No Reattas, but there is an 88/89 Riviera, still has the CRT and instrument panel. I plan on going back and getting them, what all should I get from a Riv?