Packard Super 8 Engines/Blocks - Summer Sale

flackmaster

Hotter than heck in Dallas summer sale. I am ready to MOVE some old iron -

1936 Super 8 (385) mostly complete engine. I will be listing on ebait soon, so if your serious, act fast. Not bored. NOS cast iron head or very nice original aluminum, rebuilt CO-1300 generator, DN-1298 Starter, manifolds, carb, oilpan to head, waterpump to flywheel. Rare opportunity.

1937 Super 8 320 block and crankcase. Machine work done, .060 with new pistons. Ready to be bolted to an engine stand and start building. Crank has been hanging, but will need to be repolished.

1938 Super 8 320 block. Block ONLY. cleaned, magnafluxed. only minor repairs required in one valve seat area. definitely repairable. I may sink more money in it, but it'll just cost you more, so please, just buy it now and have "your guy" do it.

Plenty of monoblock 245, 257, 282, 288, 327, 356 motors available...whatcha want? c'mon guys, scrap iron is $$up lately. These aluminum crankcase motors gotta go...I'm real serious. Not desperate, just serious.

356 Engines, yes. Several. From doorstops to a NOS engine in the Packard Crate (23rd Series). Are you wanting a specific date, or price point? Do you need a block, or complete engine. How many do you want?

As to the 288 head, need to know what casting number you want - I've got about a dozen of those...

Edited by flackmaster
added re: 288 heads (see edit history)

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Yeah, this post is old. So am I.

I am certain I have a bare 37 - 282 engine.

Must you have a 36 block?

And for anyone else who pulls up this post, 385's are all gone.

320's, as of today I can still pull a few needles out of the haystack, depending on what you need

282's, yes.

110/6cyls. parts only.

Postwar, still can provide straight 8's.

Edited by flackmaster (see edit history)

• 11 months later...

Hello flackmaster,

old post but still asking:

I'm in search of a Packard 9-bearing aluminum block with crank, oilpan camshaft plus gear and possibly flywheel. With least amount of stroke and forged crankshaft. Would not need the cylinders. Ideally I'm searching the aluminum bottom end with the later years 327 forged crank if they can be mated to fit. You able to help out?

Sorry for confusing you. I try to explain better.

I'm looking for following:

- 9 bearing aluminum bottom end without cylinder section and head (don't know the cubic inches they had)

- two possible options for the crank, first is a 327 9-bea forged crank if it fits the earlier alu bottom

- second is the original forged crank of the bottom end itself if it does not have too much stroke (4.25" is maximum)

- timing gear and cover

-flywheel

-oilpan

So I am looking for the the 8-cyl aluminum bottom end but since the info about older Packard engine internals are as scarce as hen's teeth so my knowledge is quite limited. Info about later Packard inline eights is available and that's where I was able to find out the info about 327 9-bearing crank. 359 has too much stroke for what I'm planning.

If there was a complete aluminum bottom end with a FORGED crankshaft that did not exceed 4 inches or so of stroke then I'd be interested in that. Distributor would be a nice addition too. So a complete bottom end minus the cylinders and everything that bolts on to the cast iron part.

Is a 316cid a 9-bearing bottom end L8 with 4.25 inches of stroke? Or not a 9-bearing?

Like this:

http://www.sportscarshop.com/restorations/packard-straight-8-build/

Edited by JariV (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
Guest swackerle

Hi Flackmaster,

Here come's another person that won't let this thread die!  I am in need of a 1951-1954 327 9 main bearing engine.  I really just need a long block as I have the accessories.  I sent a PM a few weeks ago, but if email is easier, please feel free to reach me at swackerle@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Sam W

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Lgace

Here's another request.  Do you have a 1938 Packard straight 8 engines.  Block #A-300051 to A-322751.  Looking for the Whole engine and external parts, i.e., starter, generator, intake/exhaust manifold, carb, etc.

• 4 months later...
On 6/10/2017 at 1:09 PM, Lgace said:

Here's another request.  Do you have a 1938 Packard straight 8 engines.  Block #A-300051 to A-322751.  Looking for the Whole engine and external parts, i.e., starter, generator, intake/exhaust manifold, carb, etc.

I have one for you. All there but cylinder head. Send email:

StelvioGT@yahoo.com

3 hours ago, old viking said:

hei looking for a 327 for my 1954 packard Patrician complete motor 

If you are trying to restore to stock the 54 Patrician would have had the 359 engine.  Motor number on the smooth pad above the starter starts M6xxxxx.  The 327 will fit and work but would not be correct if that makes a difference.  If you do go for a 327 try for the 9 main instead of the 5 main used in junior cars.  That engine would be indistinguishable from a 359 except for motor number.  You can easily see which it is by looking at the number of 1/8" pipe plugs present on the main oil gallery running the length of the engine on the passenger side just above the oil pump.  There is a plug at each drilled port going to a main bearing.

Edited by HH56 (see edit history)

On ‎14‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 7:12 PM, HH56 said:

If you are trying to restore to stock the 54 Patrician would have had the 359 engine.  Motor number on the smooth pad above the starter starts M6xxxxx.  The 327 will fit and work but would not be correct if that makes a difference.  If you do go for a 327 try for the 9 main instead of the 5 main used in junior cars.  That engine would be indistinguishable from a 359 except for motor number.  You can easily see which it is by looking at the number of 1/8" pipe plugs present on the main oil gallery running the length of the engine on the passenger side just above the oil pump.  There is a plug at each drilled port going to a main bearing.

yes 359 would be correct but i don't seem to find any. So i think i will look for a 327 in stead i have an overdrive in the car will need clutch and bellhousing do 

Guest SaddleRider
4 hours ago, old viking said:

i will look for a 327 in stead i have an overdrive in the car will need clutch and bellhousing do 

I must be missing something here...how can you have an overdrive in the car without "a clutch and bellhousing"

On ‎16‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 3:04 AM, SaddleRider said:

I must be missing something here...how can you have an overdrive in the car without "a clutch and bellhousing"

sorry ment for the car i am mising clutch and bellhousing for det trans it was on the motor that dident folow the car

Guest SaddleRider
8 hours ago, old viking said:

sorry ment for the car i am mising clutch and bellhousing for det trans it was on the motor that dident folow the car

Still confused.   Which Packards came with a "det trans"......?   And just what is a "det trans"   anyway ?

Scrap Iron down $89 a ton here.  I got two 42- 160  & 180  Packards body's and chassis  ready to cut as soon as get over a $100 a ton. 

I found scrap at $110 a ton,  taking a load next week.   We starting to downsize. it take a few years.  Listing lots of Packard parts on ebay 

Edited by packards42 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, packards42 said:

Scap Iron down $89 a ton here.  I got two 42- 160  & 180  Packards body's and chassis  ready to cut as soon as get over a $100 a ton. 

Wow, that's cheap Packard metal!  Was this just a post to see if anyone's paying attention, or do you really have (pictures please) Packard scrap metal?

I might want to take a chassis and build a speedster!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2017 at 2:49 PM, trimacar said:

Wow, that's cheap Packard metal!  Was this just a post to see if anyone's paying attention, or do you really have (pictures please) Packard scrap metal?

I might want to take a chassis and build a speedster!

you build one long speedster with 148 inch Packard chassis 

• 1 year later...
On 3/28/2019 at 1:35 PM, BLGPCA16 said:

I have a 1938 Super 8 with a cracked block. I am in search of a replacement block or complete engine. Any help or leads greatly appreciated. pca16@yahoo.com

There is a project in process to make new ones.........did you contact them?

• 1 year later...
On 8/18/2011 at 11:50 PM, flackmaster said:

Hotter than heck in Dallas summer sale. I am ready to MOVE some old iron -

1936 Super 8 (385) mostly complete engine. I will be listing on ebait soon, so if your serious, act fast. Not bored. NOS cast iron head or very nice original aluminum, rebuilt CO-1300 generator, DN-1298 Starter, manifolds, carb, oilpan to head, waterpump to flywheel. Rare opportunity.

1937 Super 8 320 block and crankcase. Machine work done, .060 with new pistons. Ready to be bolted to an engine stand and start building. Crank has been hanging, but will need to be repolished.

1938 Super 8 320 block. Block ONLY. cleaned, magnafluxed. only minor repairs required in one valve seat area. definitely repairable. I may sink more money in it, but it'll just cost you more, so please, just buy it now and have "your guy" do it.

Plenty of monoblock 245, 257, 282, 288, 327, 356 motors available...whatcha want? c'mon guys, scrap iron is $$up lately. These aluminum crankcase motors gotta go...I'm real serious. Not desperate, just serious.

Do you still have parts

Looking for a 356 complete motor 

Will be dismantling 1938 Super Eight long wheelbase chassis, with good front welled fenders and other front sheet metal. Supposedly a low mile car with interior fire that destroyed body Let me know your needs see pictures in for sale ads

Thanks

Richard