54 Special with factory A/C only $950

Guest BJM

If that car was 100 miles away vs 1000 I'd be done gone after it. Emailed the seller and got some pictures and it appears VERY much worth the money. But not the other grand that it would take to get it to Georgia.

Specials could be had with AC. BUT this is not a factory AC. It is a dealer installed unit. I could see some major differences from factory in the pictures and from talking with the seller and he talking to the original owner, the original owner confirmed that it was a dealer installed unit. That spoiled the deal for me. Had it been factory, I would definitely have gone after it.

post-31987-143138623804_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138623813_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138623821_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138623829_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138623837_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138623844_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138623852_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138623859_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138623866_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138623874_thumb.jpg

Lamar

I have a follow up question then on the dealer installed aspect. Were the parts factory authorized or was this some Sears catalog deal?

If the parts are factory authorized wouldn't that be a plus, even though it was not assembly line installed?

Also noted radio delete.

Lamar

I have a follow up question then on the dealer installed aspect. Were the parts factory authorized or was this some Sears catalog deal?

If the parts are factory authorized wouldn't that be a plus, even though it was not assembly line installed?

Also noted radio delete.

Not really sure Jake. He just said that's what the original owner said "dealer installed". I find it strange why someone would want that monstrocity in the trunk and with the tubes coming out of the back when I guess they had under dash aftermarket units by then didn't they? (maybe not) I have seen some other Novi units in other 54's and I suspect this is that this might be. He doesn't have the keys to the trunk though and with the big AC unit in the trunk behind the back seat can't get to the lock in the trunk to unbolt the lock. Here's some pics of a Novi unit in a Super. Notice no intake scoops on the rear deck.

Bob Johnstones Studebaker Resource Website (Novi Air Conditioning)

post-31987-143138624252_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138624267_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138624282_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Ron, just curious, what's your interest in the AC system. I have "some" components of a factory system that came out of a 54 Special 4 dr hard top if interested in discussing. Not for sale mind ya just if you want to discuss.

I'm going to be talking to the owner of this particular car again and will see if he can get better pics. The big problem is getting into the trunk to see the rest of the unit right now. Without tearing up anything or paying a lock smith. I suggested he take the glove compartment door off and carry it to a locksmith but that would cost.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Wasn't available in Specials in 1953 because of the 6-volt system, but I believe it was available in all 1954 Buicks. This one certainly looks nice for the price!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

hi pete, i think the reason a 1953 buick special didn't have the a/c option wasn't because of it's six volt system, 1954 pontiacs with factory a/c are six volts. the reason i think is buick didn't want to offer a/c for the last year fireball eight. so buick buyers that did want a/c would have to spend more for a super or roadmaster, funny thing is, the 1954 pontiac straight eight was the last year for it. just my thinking. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Guest rsd9699

I thought about opening the trunk. With the rear seat back removed, you could tape together several extensions to reach around the either the top or sides of the evaporator box to get to the trunk bolts. A helper on the other side to shine in the light and use a long pole to help guide the socket to the two or three bolts.

If you have the number off the glovebox lock - I can look through my govmo car key collection and see if I have a matching key.

As for A/C in a car with 6 volt system - it was easier to do back then as 6 volt fan motors were every where and the compressors ran all the time like this car and it is 12 volts (but 6 volt clutches were available - they just cost more than most people were willing to pay) as gas was cheap.

Ron

Ron, I have indeed done just what you described since I've gotten almost too big to crawl through that back seat partition. It takes LOTS of patience. There's also been trunks I didn't WANT to crawl into also.

Didn't know there was a number on the glove box though? I'll get back with the owner. THANKS

Guest rsd9699

I know on Olds and Cad and Chev the same oval key for the trunk does the glove box lock. I guess I can toss in Pont - had a couple of them - so I guess it must have been a govmo thing?

Ron

Guest rsd9699

I do not mess with wrecking yards in the summer here in TX. While I can still crawl through that narrow opening - you have no way to make a quick exit if something rattles or buzzes. In the winter I am less worried about such things but most places have them jimmied open or I take my keys and sell them my lock opening expertise - ha ha.

Ron

same with 54 Buick, one key fits all. there is number on the flat 3" long X 1/4" wide piece in the trunk lock that I typically use to have keys made from but I wasn't aware of there being one on the glove box lock.

There is a tang on the door lock also that has the key number ( a little harder to get to) --- that was what I used to get into the trunk on a newly purchased parts car years ago. Did not find any dead bodies:eek: in spite of the foul smell...just a dead 'possum.

Willie