1937 90L rear axle half shaft

Guest buicklee

Guest buicklee

Last Saturday,on my way to do a wedding,the right hand half shaft in my 1937 model 90L limousine broke,

Now what I need to know is there anyone out there who may have one for sale or know of someone who`s selling one.

Alternatively would any of you guys know if a shaft from another buick would fit,the reason I ask is there seem to be quite a few 1950`s half shafts on eBay

Thanks

I checked my 1928-1940 parts manual and it shows the rear axle shaft for 1937 Series 90 is one year one series only, but is the same part number left and right. Many times even though there is a different part number the difference between parts is so miniscule there is some interchange, but in this case I doubt it. I'd be prepared get good detailed measurements on your good shaft to make sure if you find one you can confirm it is correct for your car.

I'm going to PM or email you with Dave Tachney's phone number he is probably the best place to start, but that part may be tough to find. Hopefully someone has one.

I have half a dozen Buick axle shafts here from the late 1930s, new old stock, but not identified. I know they are from the late 1930s because one day under some very good light, I found a painted part # and looked it up and it was for a 1937 Special. A couple of these shafts are huge, beefy things--too big for a Special, so if you can give me the length and width of your shaft, I will measure mine and see if there is a match.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

Guest buicklee

Thanks for the replies so far guys,I`m hoping to get it stripped down this weekend so I can measure the length,all the other dimensions are in the work shop manual,and hopefully we shall find a match

Thanks once again

Lee

Guest buicklee

Pete

The dimensions are as follows:

Diameter outer end : 1.62"

Diameter inner end : 1 5/16"

Diameter neck portion : 1 11/64" these sizes are from the manual.

The length is approximately 31 1/2" long ,there are 10 splines at the diff end along with a threaded portion for the retaining nut and cotter pin.

If you`ve got something like this then drop me a line

Regards

Lee

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone - I have experienced the same problem with my 1937 Buick Roadmaster 80 with limousine body by Brewster, breaking an axle shaft. Does anyone have one of these axles available? As has been mentioned on this discussion, it's a one year only part, and only fits the 80 and 90 series cars. It is also unique in using a threaded end to secure it inside the spider gear carrier. Right and left sides are the same.

does anybody have an axle shaft for a 1937 Buick Roadmaster 80 ? If so, please give me a call at 714-401-1047 thanks, Steve Snyder

Welcome to the forum. A very fine acr

Have you also got a FV HK500 ?

....does anybody have an axle shaft for a 1937 Buick Roadmaster 80 ? If so, please give me a call at 714-401-1047 thanks, Steve Snyder

Try Dave Tacheny (he should give me a discount as I refer him so often)

Area number is 763 now, not 612 (worth checking)

The Largest Vintage Buick gallery on the web - PreWarBuick.com

The best man on planet Earth for late '30s Buick parts is Dave Tacheny. Believe it! Mail your want list to him at 11949 Oregon Ave. N., Champlin, MN 55316, or call 612-427-3460.

Part number is group 5.420 part 1396086 (1937-80) Left & right the same. Listed as a 1 year only part. 1937-90 series has different part number. However at times the difference between other years/part numbers is small and some times they fit. Good luck with this

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)