Duesenberg Trunk SOLD!!!!

I have a rear car trunk for what I think is a Duesenberg was this a factory or a aftermarket model????????? Trunk is 40" long and has a wood lining. Here are picture of the trunk and one on a 1932 Duesenberg Roadster. Thanks for your help!!!!!! 1-362-392-2989 or mribbich@wi.rr.com

Marv.

post-31690-143138620218_thumb.jpg

post-31690-143138620221_thumb.jpg

post-31690-143138620223_thumb.jpg

post-31690-143138628864_thumb.jpg

Edited by mribbich@wi.rr.com (see edit history)

Actually, I don't think many manufacturers had a "factory" trunk. Some may have used a specific model of trunk, but unless it was incorporated in the body design, a trunk was an after market accessory.

Trunks are usually hard to sell, as you have to find a buyer wanting just that size and shape trunk. The only exception is the Packard trunk, 18x36 inches, for Senior models of the thirties, those are expensive and sell....

It has been my observation that the supporting brackets for the trunk are essential to selling the trunk. The brackets are specific to certain cars.

That is a beautiful trunk, maybe it would go well at the foot of your bed to store linnens etc.

• 2 months later...
Guest autoteacher

Anyone know what happened to a Model A Duesenberg that Rudolph Valentino owned? It was sold minus its trunk.

I have the trunk that came from Valentino's Model A, in perfect condition, stored since taken off his Duesenberg because the trunk was not big enough for Valentino's luggage. He told his mechanic to take it off. It was removed, covered up and passed down to the grandson of the mechanic.

• 6 months later...

Hi Marv... I have this exact trunk on my 1932 Cadillac Seven Passenger Sedan and my friend Al Kroemer (former CCCA President) has it on his 1932 Chrysler Imperial Sedan. I have old Cadillac literature that shows this trunk and the fitted luggage. Interestingly, the price list shows that the trunk ALWAYS had a set of luggage (one of five different sets); there was no price for a trunk without luggage!

• 4 months later...
Guest wombvette

Yep 32-33 Cadillac Accessory trunk.

Hi Marv... I have this exact trunk on my 1932 Cadillac Seven Passenger Sedan and my friend Al Kroemer (former CCCA President) has it on his 1932 Chrysler Imperial Sedan. I have old Cadillac literature that shows this trunk and the fitted luggage. Interestingly, the price list shows that the trunk ALWAYS had a set of luggage (one of five different sets); there was no price for a trunk without luggage!

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Yep, 32/33 Cadillac. Had one on my 31 when I got it (pictured) and sold it after locating a correct trunk with luggage. I think I sold it for around $900. They aren't particularly hard to find for less than $1K. I think most all of the Cadillac trunks of that era measured 40". Note how it fits snugly just inside the end plates of the Cadillac rack.

The last two pictures show a 30/31 cadillac trunk. For whatever reason, these trunks have an oval tag riveted to them that identifies them as a Cadillac accessory as shown. I have never seen the tag on a 32/33 trunk, even though those trunks are pictured in the Cadillac accessory catalog as mentioned by wombvette. Hope this helps.

post-142660-0-52123300-1446334531_thumb.

post-142660-0-23927600-1446334702_thumb.

post-142660-0-16107500-1446423914_thumb.

post-142660-0-56347900-1446423925_thumb.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

If you look in the Cadillac factory parts book it does not show a trunk available for 1930 - 31 with suitcases. But if you look at parts book group number 3.0790 series 328, 341 and 341A and B all have an accessory trunk with luggage, hardware included ( specify black or khaki cover ).  $80.00 was the price for a trunk with luggage.

Anyway right or wrong I have the low one on my 30 and carry a jug of water, tools and cleaning supply's in it.

post-125099-0-99074600-1446609723_thumb.

I have a rear car trunk for what I think is a Duesenberg was this a factory or a aftermarket model????????? Trunk is 40" long and has a wood lining. Here are picture of the trunk and one on a 1932 Duesenberg Roadster. Thanks for your help!!!!!! 1-362-392-2989 or mribbich@wi.rr.com

Marv.

Just curious Marv was that trunk on EBay for a while this past year?

Marv.

What do you want for the trunk?

Price on the trunk is $1700.00 plus shipping

Marv.

If it was completely restored it might bring that price, needing restored, that to rich for my blood. I was in the $800 range.

Hopefully he'll consider your range of $800 or so.  Trunks take up a lot of room (unless on the back of a car!), are hard to store, hard to ship, hard to sell sometimes.

If you do make a deal, put it in a crate and send it through Fastenal 3PL (third part logistics), very reasonable for bulky items if you each have access to a retail Fastenal store....

• 3 weeks later...

If you look in the Cadillac factory parts book it does not show a trunk available for 1930 - 31 with suitcases. But if you look at parts book group number 3.0790 series 328, 341 and 341A and B all have an accessory trunk with luggage, hardware included ( specify black or khaki cover ).  $80.00 was the price for a trunk with luggage.

Anyway right or wrong I have the low one on my 30 and carry a jug of water, tools and cleaning supply's in it.

You'll find them in the separate Cadillac accessory catalog, not the regular parts manual. Trunks with luggage are shown for 31, and there were in fact several different luggage options available. Here's a 31 lowboy trunk with luggage from the CLC authenticity manual referencing the accessory catalog.

post-142660-0-98515400-1448582888_thumb.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

You'll find them in the separate Cadillac accessory catalog, not the regular parts manual. Trunks with luggage are shown for 31, and there were in fact several different luggage options available. Here's a 31 lowboy trunk with luggage from the CLC authenticity manual referencing the accessory catalog.

I just noticed can the factory tag on the trunk come on either side???? The arrow in the authenticity manual is pointing to the left side of the trunk which I have never seen before.

post-125099-0-06207000-1453256871_thumb.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...