Starter solenoid

Guest SCOOTMAN

Guest SCOOTMAN

Does anyone know where I could get a starter solenoid for a 1950 desoto? this has the "piggyback" type that has an actuator with a plunger sticking out the front wich is connected to linkage and I assume this is what engages the starter drive to the flywheel, the starter runs good but it has quit engaging to thr flywheel, Or can these be rebuilt? Or is there another starter that will match that doesnt have such an elaborate setup??

Guest prs519

Good chance I have a replacement (used) starter or two to match your needs. Most of my starters were take offs from vehicles destined to be melted (hence, generally good used).

If you find $70 and shipping fair, let me know. Then I will find it, check it no-load for functionality, and email a couple of pics to you. I have an interchange manual, but it might also be helpful if you could email to me a pic of your old starter, and also part numbers if you can read them. My email is prs518@live.com. I think it would not make sense to separate the solenoid and starter in this case, other than to blow clean and lube. Your old starter would then serve you as a parts bin. I should add, that if the starter is sluggish or shows any unfortunate character, it would probably be wise to have a pro go through it.

Perry in Idaho. 208 569 2837

Scootman,

I'm sure I have the solenoid, but what your describing is what I usually hear from customers when the drive (bendix) is bad. I'd say about 75% of customers who say that the solenoid no longer engages the drive into the flywheel are actually hearing the solenoid engage the drive, but the drive clutch is bad. What happens is the clutch in the drive no longer has the strength to hold onto the gear and the gear stays stationary in the flywheel while the rest of the starter motors. Fell free to contact me for more information.

Hope this helps.

-Jason

Advanced Electrical Rebuilders

www.aerrebuild.com