Transport Companies

I am also in the process of trying to find a transport company. I have been calling numbers from the "services offered" section of HMN. I have been surprised with the differences in price, so shop around. I will send you PM once I make my final decision with my thoughts

I've had very good luck with Thomas Sunday Transport (Enclosed Automobile Transportation Enclosed Car Shipping Enclosed Car Transport) and have used them many times in my business. They're usually not the cheapest, but when I did use the cheapest guy to ship a car, he lowered the elevator in his truck on the roof of a 1929 Packard and punctured the fabric insert and creased the sheetmetal. Sunday makes no such mistakes, and it's worth the extra few bucks.

And always ship enclosed on a restored car. Open transport is tempting because it's often much cheaper, but your car is going to get beat up, dirty, etc. We sold a 100-point car to a gentleman overseas, and a friend of his arranged shipping. It was open transport, in February, from PA to New Jersey. Needless to say, the car did not arrive in Europe in 100-point condition after letting the road salt work on it for a few weeks in the cargo hold of a ship...

Reminds me when I sold a 35 Chrysler coupe to a guy in England. THe carrier called and asked wether to bring an open or enclosed trailer for a ride from upstate NY to PA in February. I told the carrier you use an enclosed trailer or I'm not going to let you pick up the car which drove out of the garage and into the trailer on a nice sunny day so it didn't even get snow on it.

Guest bofusmosby

I'm quite sure that the advice given to you is good, but let me say just this. I had one heck of a time getting my car to me last year. Being new to the hobby, I really didn't know the facts. I was in touch with MANY different auto transport companies, but little did I know, they were all brokers! There might be some good brokers out there, but NONE that I talked to were good. They will tell you anything to get your business, and never come through, without constantly raising their price. No offense, but I do NOT trust any of them.

Make sure that you are dealing with the actual shipping company, and NOT an auto broker, who only represents himself as the shipper. Like I said, I can only go by my own experience. If not for the fine members here on this site, my car would probably still be in Montana.

I've had several cars moved by Van Dam Trucking over the past few years and can't say enough about them. It's a one-man operation, so you're always dealing with the owner.

If you don't need point-to-point service within a specified time window, the service is great and the price is very competitive.

Auto Transport, Car Shipping, Motorcycle Shipping - Van Dam Trucking - Fargo, North Dakota

Chuck

I've had very good luck with Thomas Sunday Transport (Enclosed Automobile Transportation Enclosed Car Shipping Enclosed Car Transport) and have used them many times in my business. They're usually not the cheapest, but when I did use the cheapest guy to ship a car, he lowered the elevator in his truck on the roof of a 1929 Packard and punctured the fabric insert and creased the sheetmetal. Sunday makes no such mistakes, and it's worth the extra few bucks.

And always ship enclosed on a restored car. Open transport is tempting because it's often much cheaper, but your car is going to get beat up, dirty, etc. We sold a 100-point car to a gentleman overseas, and a friend of his arranged shipping. It was open transport, in February, from PA to New Jersey. Needless to say, the car did not arrive in Europe in 100-point condition after letting the road salt work on it for a few weeks in the cargo hold of a ship...

I too have used Thomas Sunday and have never had a bad experience. They own their own trucks and hire their own drivers.

Every experience I have ever had with a broker was a bad one!

I've been following this thread because I'm in the middle of a transport issue right now... I did place the order with a broker but its now been close to 6 weeks and there has been no progress at all. The chassis is in Kansas and I'm in New England... about 1500 miles.

The problem is that its an unrestored rolling chassis. It doesn't need enclosed transport and I'm reluctant to pay the price of moving fully restored car for something that could be left out in the weather for a month without seriously effecting its condition. Any ideas? You guys know a lot more about this than I do. I'm just getting back into old cars after a 35 year hiatus.

Guest bofusmosby

What the brokers do is to offer you a low-ball estimate on the shipping. They then place this info on a "board" of some kind, and then they wait for a driver to pick it up. The problem is, if they quoted you an estimate that is too low, NO driver will pick the job, and your car (or chassis) will just hang there in limbo. They will probably then tell you that unless he raises the price, the job might not be taken. Its a racket! They are waiting for you to say, "up the price and see if someone will take it". I've only had one car transported, and believe me, it was a nightmare. The car sat from the end of January, until I contacted someone who actually has his own company. I finally got the car in May. I can't think of the name of the transporter right now, let me look for that info.

BTW, did you pay any deposit to the broker? THATS the way they get you. I refused to pay anything until the car was picked up.

Thanks Jim,

I did know I was dealing with a broker... they, in fact, made that clear. It was a calculated risk on my part as the price was substantially less than the high-end enclosed transport would have been. Were it even a complete unrestored car I may have opted for the more expensive alternative but money is an object to me at the moment. Still, I didn't go for the lowest quote and checked the company out via a web site called something like "Transport Reviews." Its obviously not controlled by the transport brokers because there are a fairly large number of bad reviews. That said, any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Joe P

What do you want?

The cheapest price ?

Most folks do - nothing wrong with that - so they shop around for the cheapest price - which usually involves a transport broker

The broker offers low prices - usually on behalf of someone else - someone

who you may not want to haul your car or truck

The broker takes a deposit - usually by credit card - for their services

when you book with them

Independent customer feedback across the board averages 70% to 80%

satisfaction for an average broker facilitated auto transport

By Contrast

Whether you own a project vehicle or a concourse car,

I can safely transport it in my enclosed trailer

I drive daylight hours at 55 m.p.h. averaging 300 to 400 miles a day

I am a car guy ;)

MTFCA Member

Moparts Sponsor

HAMB Alliance Member

No deposit required

Soft ties to the axles or frame

I am not a broker

I transport

So, if you own a vehicle that needs a ride .......

Jim

(260) 804-6695

T28MDTudor.jpg

T28Phaeton.jpg

T29MA.jpg

T38Ford4Door.jpg

T60Polara.jpg

T66HDElectraGlide.jpg

T70GTX.jpg

THotrod8n.jpg

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

Jim (Trulyvintage) opened my eyes to what was going on with me last year when I was fighting the brokers. As far as I'm concerned, dealing with the owner/driver is the ONLY way to go!

Thanks everyone. I'll get the fellow in California who wants to buy the car to read this. He can then make his own decision. I've already pased on the names of the companies that RM and some of the other big houses use. Jim, I already pased yours along to him.

Thanks, Pat :cool:

I often suggest uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves. Truckers there bid on your transport job, and you choose the one you want: enclosed, open, etc. They receive feedback like on eBay. I've shipped some heavy, unusual stuff this way, and have always been satisfied. JV, this might be ideal for your chassis to New England.

Phil

Guest Dick Whittington

U Ship is ok, I have used them, but you end up dealing with brokers, not the actual transporters.

Guest bofusmosby
U Ship is ok, I have used them, but you end up dealing with brokers, not the actual transporters.

Agree. I tried them, and there were some brokers thyat contacted me (responded to my request).

• 2 months later...
Guest Jim_Edwards

And all of this thread is exactly why I use my own trailer behind my own pickup or Van. Have four times elected to fly to a car's location and drive it back once reasonably satisfied of the vehicle's road worthiness. I don't buy 100 point show cars and have calculated the cost of doing things my way is typically less than the cheapest transport cost. Of course being retired I don't mind a round trip that might take several days due to distance.

Guest Dick Whittington

I have used Sunday, Horseless Carriage, Reliable, Passport, Intercity, and a couple more enclosed carriers with no problems. Would not hesitate to use any one of them again. Used Rick Powell mailto:Racinman43@yahoo.com for open trailer transport.

No one carrier can meet everyones cost, time frame, etc.

• 2 months later...
Guest bofusmosby

From my understanding, if the car is not running, they may charge you a bit more, at least with some of the companies I spoke to. I believe that it is the mileage they go by, as well as the size of the vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

Another problem you may run into is brokers breaking your transport into pieces.

I had a car shipped from SoCal to Ohio a few years ago....took forever to be picked up, then too long for delivery. Someone I spoke to mentioned it was on the lot in Chicago waiting for a pickup...meanwhile the gas tank was siphoned. (seriously? they are THAT desperate to save a few bucks?)

The final delivery guy was perfect, and the car was fine, but......

Next time I'll try to go with one of the guys listed on here.

I've had good luck with Uship....once with an individual carrier and once with a broker (above).

• 3 weeks later...

I recently purchased a very nice looking 1963 Buick Electra 225 Convertible. The car was in Florida and I live in metropolitan Chicago, so after doing a little shopping around, I arranged for enclosed carrier shipping with a broker called National Transport, LLC. They actually talked me out of paying for more expensive guaranteed pickup and delivery dates because I was arranging transport so far in advance. I think their price was very reasonable (~ $900). They were about three hundred dollars more expensive than the cheapest carrier, but more than several hundred dollars cheaper than the pricier carriers. However, they didn't live up to the expectations I had formed based on the marketing hype of their web site, which states:

Typically people who want to have their racing, customized, classic or exotic vehicles transported will opt for this service but anyone can request enclosed auto shipping. For a small extra expense you can ensure a safer journey for your vehicle. National Transport LLC offers a full-service transportation solution for the shipment of your valued vehicle. We are dedicated to the care and delivery of your vehicle and have spent years perfecting safe, reliable, and affordable methods of enclosed car transport. By finding the best methods for enclosed auto transport along with the best types of enclosed auto transport trailers and providing excellent customer service, we have been able to consistently deliver treasured transports time and time again. We wouldn't call ourselves an enclosed auto shipping company if we couldn't live up to these standards.

I will not use National Transport again, nor would I recommend them. The vehicle was not picked up on the date I was initially told it would be collected, and I was not kept informed during the process. Communication was terrible. After making the initial arrangements, I was given the dates for pickup and delivery and told by National Transport that the driver they contracted would be in contact with me and with the seller to schedule pick up and delivery times well in advance of his arrival. Well, the day of expected pickup arrived and the driver had not been heard from. I had to keep calling National Transport for information. They would put me on hold and contact the driver or the driver's trucking company. The story was always a variation of the same theme. The driver was delayed for this reason or that, but he would pick up the vehicle "tomorrow." When I complained about this, I was "reminded" that I had not contracted for guaranteed pickup and delivery dates. The driver finally showed four days after he was expected; and instead of a specialized enclosed car trailer, his rig was a standard box type semi-trailer, with a high deck and a very steep ramp. In fact, when the car was delivered I watched as the exhaust system scraped against the rear edge of the semi-trailer deck as the car was backed down the ramp. This is not what I expected from a company that touts its specialty enclosed auto shipping service.

Another mistake I made was agreeing to delivery after 6pm, when the driver called me the day after he picked up the vehicle. I shouldn't have agreed, but I was already anxious about the car being late, and I wanted it in my garage safe and sound. Unfortunately, delivery after 6pm in Chicago, in February, meant that the driver arrived after dark, making inspection of the car next to impossible. The next day, when it was too late to get any satisfaction from either the trucking company or the seller, I discovered a chip in the center of the windshield. I don't remember seeing a chip in the glass when I flew down to Florida to inspect and purchase the car (and I was quite thorough).

My experience was not nearly as bad as some of the horror stories already reported here. I was actually very lucky not to become another car shipping horror story. I wish I had read these posts before arranging my car shipment. I would have gone with another carrier and would have had more peace of mind. Live and learn. I hope that knowing about my mistakes will help others avoid making the same mistakes.

Ike

• 2 months later...

Guys, above all else, be sure to put your own insurance on your car before it is transported. Never trust a carrier

as to telling you they have 300000 or a million or whatever dollars of coverage.

I know the hard way-my car burnt up in route because the driver crossed the battery under the seat with mis installing the seat springs. The car was a total and the carrier refused to pay the bill. No it wasn't worth suing or getting a lawyer. Just put insurance on your car before having it transported and learn from my mistake....

I have used Intercity Lines, Inc. I am very pleased with their service and communication. Some of the transportation companies contract out the transport of the cars to independent truckers, which is not the case with Intercity.

Grandpa

post-52807-143138950842_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dick Whittington

I WILL NOT use a broker. Granted most are honest, but they shop for the cheapest hauler to move the load. I have used individuals that have given me nothing but the best service and have no complaints. For high dollar moves, it is Horseless Carriage, Intercity, Reliable, Passport, etc. I know they are higher than most, but memories of poor service are long remembered.

What the brokers do is to offer you a low-ball estimate on the shipping. They then place this info on a "board" of some kind, and then they wait for a driver to pick it up. The problem is, if they quoted you an estimate that is too low, NO driver will pick the job, and your car (or chassis) will just hang there in limbo. They will probably then tell you that unless he raises the price, the job might not be taken. Its a racket! They are waiting for you to say, "up the price and see if someone will take it". I've only had one car transported, and believe me, it was a nightmare. The car sat from the end of January, until I contacted someone who actually has his own company. I finally got the car in May. I can't think of the name of the transporter right now, let me look for that info.

BTW, did you pay any deposit to the broker? THATS the way they get you. I refused to pay anything until the car was picked up.

Nailed it on the head. I'm in transportation. We have our own fleet of owner operators. About 10,000. Anyway, the board you speak of is a broker board. These boards feed available loads at truck stops, alert drivers by automated phone and computer. The drivers can look at loads and find a lane they want or need to run. Brokers will low ball sometimes and if the load is not covered the broker will ask to up the price. Not really a scam because all brokers use the same board system. Some areas of the country are awful to get out after delivery because there are no loads to pick up. drivers will shy away or want more fuel money to dead head to a more productive area. It is not quite as easy as one thinks. Example, FL is a huge inbound state. The trucker will want more money to go in because he more than likely will have to dead head out. There is no manufacturing in FL. Most times I can cover a load out of FL by just covering the fuel, Anyway, yes, dealing directly with the carrier is your best bet. You will get one of his trucks and driver. With a broker you could be getting a mule and cart. I'm not saying all trucks used by brokers are awful but by and large the quality of the transporter goes down when bargain basement prices are paid.

PS. The only vehicles I move are military. Sorry I can not help with the cars. Work directly with the carrier. You spent good money on a car. Don't drop the ball on yourself getting a less than stellar carrier.

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you Chris, but unfortunately, I learned the hard way. I had just gotten into the old car hobby, and boy oh boy, did I have a real learning experience! I will NEVER use an auto broker again. There are plenty of owner/operators out there, you just have to either look for them, or do as I did, ask the great members here on this site.

I'm not saying that all auto brokers are bad, but by my own experience, I'll never use another one.

well I have been reading this thread as I am in the need of an auto transport. Looking to transport from CT to VA really soon. I have read the boards, dome some research, called a few companies, and prices are all over the place. I am looking for an enclosed carrier for a rolling chasis, non-running antique.

does anyone have any suggestions, comments, or thoughts. I have quotes from Amerifreight, AutoLine, Reliable, Intercity, Alpine Auto, Get it Done. range from $850 - 1300 !!

BearsFan315 said:
well I have been reading this thread as I am in the need of an auto transport. Looking to transport from CT to VA really soon. I have read the boards, dome some research, called a few companies, and prices are all over the place. I am looking for an enclosed carrier for a rolling chasis, non-running antique.

does anyone have any suggestions, comments, or thoughts. I have quotes from Amerifreight, AutoLine, Reliable, Intercity, Alpine Auto, Get it Done. range from $850 - 1300 !!

What are you looking for .... ?

You have a roller, which most carriers do not want to deal with

because they can't run it on and off a multi car carrier .....

You want enclosed transport, which costs more than open transport ....

Without knowing the zip codes, it sounds like your route is off the beaten path, which means one or more transfers will be involved ...

Enclosed transport - door to door - same driver on the same trailer

from pickup to drop off - no deposit ....

On average - that will run you $1.25 a loaded mile on up from pick up zip code to drop off zip code (not including unloaded miles or toll road fees)

Jim

We recently did a 750 mile trip to Southwestern Kentucky to pick up a car. We burned almost $500 in fuel plus nearly $100 to sleep overnight in a motel. We charged the customer $1.25/loaded mile so he paid us $937.50. Subtract the $500 fuel cost, subtract the $100 motel bill. That leaves $337.50 for 24 hours driving or $14.06/hr to cover maintenance on the equipment etc. and hopefully a bit of "profit". It's not a way to get rich, especially if you split that $14.06/hr with your Son who helped with the driving. Happily we will be restoring the car so not to worry. With auto transport you get what you pay for.

Yes I have a roller (1930's Chevy Truck) to transport, it is partially restored, needs to be completed and put back together. Everything is on board crated & secured in the truck. Would be going from Zip 06444 to 23707, both the seller and me the buyer are willing to work with transporter to load/ unload as well as meet in nearest town/ open area for ease.

I can possibly make arrangement to meet within a few hours of here to meet, swap transports. I do not own a transport or have the equipments to do so, but a friend has offeref to drive within a few hours with his equipment if it will help me out, but can not travel long distances.

Jim I truly do appreicate you honesty and assistance in all this ;) being on the road you know way more then a lot of do about all of this. I trust your expertise and experience !!

Run is pretty much from intersate 84 in CT, down to 95 all the way here, then 64. pretty much all interstate, unless you ride the coast along 13. (stop n Go) Speed Up - Slow Down!!

I have gotten a few quotes for $900-1250 fully insired, enclosed trailer, door to door, all included.

Restorer32 said:
We recently did a 750 mile trip to Southwestern Kentucky to pick up a car. We burned almost $500 in fuel plus nearly $100 to sleep overnight in a motel. We charged the customer $1.25/loaded mile so he paid us $937.50. Subtract the $500 fuel cost, subtract the $100 motel bill. That leaves $337.50 for 24 hours driving or $14.06/hr to cover maintenance on the equipment etc. and hopefully a bit of "profit". It's not a way to get rich, especially if you split that $14.06/hr with your Son who helped with the driving. Happily we will be restoring the car so not to worry. With auto transport you get what you pay for.

Thank you for this post ..... :)

It gives true insight into what the actual cost of hauling a vehicle is

Jim

BearsFan315 said:
Yes I have a roller (1930's Chevy Truck) to transport, it is partially restored, needs to be completed and put back together. Everything is on board crated & secured in the truck. Would be going from Zip 06444 to 23707, both the seller and me the buyer are willing to work with transporter to load/ unload as well as meet in nearest town/ open area for ease.

I can possibly make arrangement to meet within a few hours of here to meet, swap transports. I do not own a transport or have the equipments to do so, but a friend has offeref to drive within a few hours with his equipment if it will help me out, but can not travel long distances.

Jim I truly do appreicate you honesty and assistance in all this ;) being on the road you know way more then a lot of do about all of this. I trust your expertise and experience !!

Run is pretty much from intersate 84 in CT, down to 95 all the way here, then 64. pretty much all interstate, unless you ride the coast along 13. (stop n Go) Speed Up - Slow Down!!

I have gotten a few quotes for $900-1250 fully insired, enclosed trailer, door to door, all included.

I believe we exchanged emails about this ?

I just went from Wilmington, NC up thru Virginia Beach, VA

and across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel up thru Maryland

and Delaware into South New Jersey last week .....

Pretty drive - but slow at times ..... 

Transport is always about the unloaded miles to get to the

pick up point and from the drop off point to the next haul ....

Therein lies the challenge .... ;)

Jim

Yes we have exchanged emails :)

as you stated you took the scenic route up 13, nice ride, but slow and steady she goes. Shorter milage wise, but not any shorter timewise. Long 17 Mile ride across the bay, with two tunnels and nothing but water around you !!

I think I may hae found a carrier/ transport, he has a 4 truck fleet and specializes in transporting PROJECT VEHICLEs, as well as antiques, classic, and exotics. He seemd to very knowledgable about how to handle them, including the spare parts. Did some research and he is rated pretty high on the review sites for transportation. He himself is on the the actual drivers, as well as the owner.