1934 Dodge Humpback Grille question

Guest jacoru

Guest jacoru

I have a 1934 Dodge humpback panel. Is the grille for this truck the same as the grille for the 1933 and 1935 Dodge trucks? Is it the same as the 1934 Dodge car? What about the Plymouths?

Guest DodgeKCL

I've been at the restoration of a 1935 1/2 ton KCL for a while now. As far as I know the 'waterfall' grille and rad shell are the same on all 1/2 ton trucks from 1933 HC(L),1934 KC(L) to 1935 KC(L). But just 1/2 ton. Any truck that has DODGE BROTHERS in large letters on the side of the hood is a 3/4 ton and up and the parts are larger than ours. I also believe the 1933 Dodge DP car grille and rad shell are the same as ours and I believe Dodge simply used the DP dies to make the '33 HCs and then continued for 3 model years only finally changing once more in 1936.

I looked around for any grilles in any shape to use the bars to fix the grille on my '35 KCL. I found 3 rusty ones over the years and they were the same as my KCL. But you wouldn't think that I had some how found only '35 KC(L) grilles?? They had the same part number stamped in the steel and the same crankhole setup. I believe they were a mix of truck and car if not maybe JUST car grilles. A guy up here makes hot rod grilles for '33 Dodges out of aluminum and although they have no crankhole they measure out and look the same as our originals. (He uses solid bars and they are not anything like our original folded bars or I would have used them.)

I do not believe our trucks share body parts with the '34 Dodge car or Plymouths. But I don't know for sure. We share a LOT of mechanical parts with Plymouths and Dodges out of the 30s.

I used 1933 DP car front fenders on my '35 KCL. I found only one small spot where I had to cut out maybe a half circle maybe 1/4" wide to allow a frame bolt head on an inside lip on the KCL to poke through. Other than that they were the exact same,even to the Dodge 'spear' crease up the front, as the original KC(L)s. Plymouth fenders and headlight stantions have no 'spear' detail on them.

The rear fenders however are unique to the trucks. If you have any and you are thinking of looking for others because of the condition of yours,I wouldn't bother. I looked for years,literally, and finally had a body and fender guy bring mine back to life. I never found any nor had one reply even after advertising in the Dodge Brothers mag.

I'm nearing the end of my restoration and had to find out a wealth of info on these trucks myself because of their relative rarity. We are in a rather exclusive club as I believe there are only a couple of hundred HCs and KCs left across the world as opposed to '33,'34 and '35 cars in the 2 or 3 thousands.

If you have any questions I might be able to help you and you won't have to 'reinvent the wheel' yourself ,as they say.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

Guest jacoru

DodgeKCL, Thank you for the thoughtful and detailed answer. It's people like you taking the time to provide a thorough answer that make this forum so great.

• 1 year later...

I also have a 34 KCL panel in the works and I agee totally with the post above. Note that the 34 Dodge cars are completely different and will not interchange, although the 33s will. There is almost no literature on these but what I have I would gladly search through for you if you need some specific information. Welcome to a very small club!

Guest pagespatchwelding

I just got a 1935 or 36 dodge trunkback and the frount grill is kinda messed up other than that it is pretty sound some one helped them self to the headlights and the hood ornament I would like to get some info where I might be able to find these I just joined this site and am glad to be here thanks for any help

I just got a 1935 or 36 dodge trunkback and the frount grill is kinda messed up other than that it is pretty sound some one helped them self to the headlights and the hood ornament I would like to get some info where I might be able to find these I just joined this site and am glad to be here thanks for any help

Best to start a new post for your needs as this will get lost on this thread.

• 2 years later...