How rare is an all original barn find 1938 Zephyr Coupe

Guest ArcDevilz

Guest ArcDevilz

I ran across a barn find car that has been in storage for the last 40+ years.

The car is complete and has only had one repaint. It fires but the clutch is fried. All I can gather from any internet research is that it is believed that only 1% of 2600 of these exist. That means only 26? Is the correct? I am thinking that taking this project on would better be suited for a museum. The cost and work would be beyond my scope. Any thoughts?

Ivan

Ivan,

Any pictures??? There are 19 members of the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club who have listed 1938 coupes among their cars. That does not include all the '38 coupes owned by members, since many never bother to inform the club. There are also a fair number of street rodders with '38 coupes. I would still guess that there are way fewer than 100 left. It's a pretty rare and very desirable car. Somebody on this forum will likely contact you to see how they might acquire it.

If you decide you want to advertise it on the LZOC Web site, please send me an email with the wording and pictures you want to use.

Guest ArcDevilz

Thanks for the reply Bob. The car is inside a shipping container now as it has been for 30 years. The current owner has offered me first dibs on the car. It"s one of his pride and joys. He is getting up there in age and has too many projects to get into this car. From what he has told me the car was bought in California and never left the state. The car was inside a barn when a bulldozer was about to demolish the building. The people driving the tractor opened up the barn doors to discover the car. They pushed it out into the street and some kids bought it for 50.00. They drove it up the street and flooded the carb. They could not start it and some women who lived in the house where they broke down bought it from them for 150.00. She put it in a garage for ten years. The current owner bought it from her and has had the car for 30 + years. It has all the original paperwork and dealer info,plates etc. I am really tempted to buy the car simply because of the story behind it and the rarity. I currently have a few classics myself. A 1971 Buick Lesabre convertible and a 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner. Maybe I can turn this into a lifelong project.

I am going to try to get some pictures soon but it is a pretty touchy subject with the current owner. I don't want to be to pushy. Things like this require a bit of patience. I will try within the next few weeks.

Ivan

• 4 weeks later...
Guest joe hill

Ivan,I also bought a barn find last summer.A 1942 lincoln zephyr 3-window coupe,which I am in the process of restoring.I would be interested in this coupe,if you deside not to pursue it.I am a member of LCOC and LZOC. Joe Hill 817-481-6850