Fuel tank R&R

padgett

Have to replace the fuel pump in the foundling which means the tank must come out. Two questions so far:

1) FSM says nothing about the rear sway bar. Does it need to be removed /moved?

2) Fuel return line has two spring clips, one at the rubber hose end and other at nylon tube end. Which end seperates ?

Have to replace the fuel pump in the foundling which means the tank must come out. Two questions so far:

1) FSM says nothing about the rear sway bar. Does it need to be removed /moved?

I found it easiest if you just take out the two bolts on either side of the sway bar, and just let it hang there.

Figured it out - was the two through the "frame" that take 15mm sockets.

Now it is just this &^&%& "vapor return line" - it is not clear where the connection comes apart. FSM looks like it is where the nylon line from the engine goes into the rubber piece with the two clamps but that does not want to move atol. Is this where it comes apart ?

Also there is no mention of the hose from the filler neck, is ths obvious when the tank drops ?

Have done many fuel pumps before (Sunbird, Bonneville, Fieros) just never needed to do one on a Reatta before.

You must be dealing with a '90. My '89 that I dropped the tank on had metal lines all the way from the pump to the motor. Except for the occasional rubber fuel line (for ease of disassembly) it's all metal. In '90, they used plastic lines. Can't help you there.. never done it on a '90..

The filler neck can be removed once you drop the tank down a few inches.

OK I have distorted the welded on shield and bent the strap which must not be bent (because you cannot get to the bolt without dropping the whole %&^%$%^ exhaust system) but that still leaves the vapor line. Tank is on ground now and that is all that is holding it.

Surely someone has dropped a '90 gas tank before ! Where dores the vapor line disconnect please. (see photo). FSM seems to indicate the top where the nylon line meets the rubber but it feels like it is glued in place. OTOH the lower joint just does not look right.

Clamps at both ends does not help.

At this point I an considering cutting/splicing the rubber line but would rather do the right way. Please help.

post-31022-143138584148_thumb.jpg

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Guest NEMO

Looking at the photo,there are marks where the Top section of rubber hose had clamps,which are shown by the mark in this hose. It looks like that hose is removed at any end, You could just slice this and replace it with HIGH pressure hose and High pressure clamps.