Who is this ?

1909schacht

Any ideas as to who this person is in this vintage

"Associated Press wirephoto" the plate is from 1936 -california

must be someone of note to be in a wire photo...

the parking sign in the background is 15 cents to day lucky to find a $15 dollar parking lot in the city !

post-68188-143138583666_thumb.jpg

I agree, but interestingly on the radiator where a badge would normally be is clearly written "Schacht 1900 MODEL". :confused:

Putting an earlier than correct date on old cars for display seemed to have been quite common in those pre WW2 years when peoples' memories seemed to be amazingly deficient.

Not sure of the person although he looks pretty happy.

Maybe he is the guy that owns the 15c parking lot and thinks he is going to make a fortune. (probably will)

Here in downtown Brisbane, Australia some parking stations are over $20.00 for the first hour.

The 1909 model in the ad seems to have a lot more upmarket fenders however according to my info, Schacht high wheeler cars were first manufactured in 1905 so maybe this is a proto type. LOL

I'm gonna guess that this is San Francisco circa 1936 from the Brunswick-Balke sign. They were making phonographs there at the time. A guy by the name of John Shelley was launching his political career for the 1938 California Senate. According to a few websites, it just so happens: He was president of the Bakery Wagon Drivers’ Union in the early 1930s, but found time to graduate from San Francisco Law School in 1932. He was elected president of the San Francisco Labor Council in 1937, then launched his successful political career with this 1938 run for the California State Senate.

The one picture I did see of him bears some striking resemblance in the facial features but he had a lot less hair (Unless in that picture in the car he was wearing was a rug! ) He later went on to become mayor of San Francisco.