2012 BCA 500 National Meet Info

Guest CarolinaBuick2012

Guest CarolinaBuick2012

The Carolina Chapter of the Buick Club of America is pleased to announce the 2012 Buick Club of America National Meet is coming to Concord, NC June 27-30, 2012. We would like to invite all Reatta owners to join us for this event. We are expecting to get over 500 Buicks to this event and have great tours and activities planned. A registration form is attached, but more information can be found at our website www.buickclub.org/2012. All Buicks are welcome and we have classes for 400 point judged, display only, driven, modified, specialty and professional, and vintage race cars. All Buick’s through current production year can register to attend this event and be placed on the showfield, but accepted years in each class do vary so check the registration form if you have a fairly modern Buick to see which classes it is eligible for.

The showfield will be located on the grounds at Charlotte Motor Speedway (at this time tentatively in the garage area of the 1.5 Mi oval) and will host the 500+ Buicks including a vintage Buick Race car class new for 2012.

Also beside the new race car class for 2012, this meet will also host the 75<sup>th</sup> Anniversary event of 1936-1938 Buicks in cooperation with the 36-38 Division of the BCA. All 36-38 Buicks in attendance will receive a special dash plaque and there will be awards for highest scoring 36-38 Buick and longest driven 36-38 Buick. We are hoping to have one of each model (40C, 41, 46S, etc) of each year ’36-’38 Buick in attendance.

The host hotel is the Embassy Suite Charlotte Concord just off I-85 Exit 49. They will begin accepting reservation July 5,2011 at the BCA rate of $129 per night which includes a full hot buffet breakfast each morning and two cocktails each night at their manager’s reception. The hotel also features a Spa and an 18 hole golf course.

The event begins Wednesday with a bus tour to Steele Rubber in Denver, NC. This is a great opportunity to see how they make the rubber reproduction parts for our Buicks and many other cars.

Guest may also visit the Hendrick Motorsports Museum and Race Shops which is virtually across the street from the host hotel . Guest can take self guided tours at their leisure throughout the event during the normal business hours of the museum.

Thursday there is a choice of bus tours to either the NASCAR Hall of Fame Museum or the Levine Museum of the New South, both in downtown (or as we call it, uptown) Charlotte.

Friday there is a driving tour to The NC Transportation Museum in Spencer, NC and the shops in Salisbury, NC. This is an approximately 1 to 1.5 hour long (each way) driving tour from the host hotel to Spencer, NC, the route will be meander through both scenic and historic areas along the way and will travel at speeds suitable for all but the earliest Buicks.

Friday night we are going to cruise to Oehler Barn (pronounced “Ay-ler”) for a Buick Heritage Alliance benefit BBQ dinner event. They have a large grass field next to the barn where we can park our Buicks. The barn is approximately 6 miles away from the host hotel on roads that do not exceed 45 mph speed limits and there are only 3 turns.

Saturday is the show day and the only day the cars will be allowed on the showfield. The awards banquet in the evening will be at the host hotel.

Sunday The Buick Driving Enthusiast and the Pre-War Division of the BCA hold after tours. Contact those groups for specific details.

We will have a Buick only swap meet and car corral at the host hotel throughout the event with indoor and outdoor swap meet spaces.

For more information contact the Carolina Chapter at CarolinaBuick@yahoo.com or visit www.buickclub.org/2012 where we have a more information , a Frequently Asked Questions page, the registration form, maps and links to each tour destination’s website. We look forward to having you going to Carolina not just in your mind, but in your Buick.

2012 BCA Registration Form.pdf

Edited by CarolinaBuick2012 (see edit history)

Guest CarolinaBuick2012

As we have worked very hard to bring this event to life if you have negative feedback or concerns, instead of placing those comments in this public forum please respect the golden rule and treat us the way you would like to be treated and contact us directly via private message or email at CarolinaBuick@yahoo.com. We will respect you by responding to each concern and do our best to address your concerns or learn for future. Thanks and go Buick!

• 2 weeks later...
For those who are interested in staying at Embassy Suites (the host hotel), the best rate is actually the Buick rate at $129. It is the same as the AAA and Gov't rate. Made a reservation today!

Whew! That's good.

By the way the rate includes hot buffet breakfast with cook to order omelets for each guest and 2 cocktails per night per adult guest (Don't get an ideas about fake ID's NCReatta:eek: j/k) at the manager's reception. So there is a lot of value in that room rate.

The hotel has a fabulous gathering area in the atrium used for both breakfast and the managers reception. It will serve as a great gathering place for our Buick Club folks.

Whew! That's good.

By the way the rate includes hot buffet breakfast with cook to order omelets for each guest and 2 cocktails per night per adult guest (Don't get an ideas about fake ID's NCReatta:eek: j/k) at the manager's reception. So there is a lot of value in that room rate.

Heh... yeah, they were telling me all about that on the phone..

Guess those will be for my Grandfather.. ;) :eek:

Maybe they'll make me an Arnold Palmer or something.. :D

Guest blue72beetle

Do these things usually fill up fast? I'm hesitant to make reservations as I don't know if the Air Force will be needing me that week.

Do these things usually fill up fast? I'm hesitant to make reservations as I don't know if the Air Force will be needing me that week.

I just checked and the room block at the host hotel is 15% booked already 49 weeks to go.

Most people make hotel reservations early but leave the actual show registration until the deadline, which, of course, makes organizing one of these meets difficult, but not impossible.

So if you can commit to Register early it certainly helps the host chapter and me as the organizer, but if not don't miss the May 20th deadline.

And thank you for serving our country and protecting our freedoms!

Guest HessLakeGuy

To all:

I am not familiar with that city. As a matter of fact, I have never been in that state.

Are there other motel options in that are really close?? Just looking at options.

Thanks!

Tom

There's also a ton of hotels right off of I-85 at Exit 49 (exit for the speedway, and for Burton Smith blvd. AKA The road that the host hotel is on).

Hilton Garden Inn Charlotte/Concord

Wingate by Wyndham Concord

Sleep Inn & Suites (I've stayed here, and been very happy)

SpringHill Suites Charlotte Concord Mills/Speedway

Comfort Suites

Hampton Inn Charlotte - Concord/Charlotte,NC

Holiday Inn Express Concord Hotel

Residence Inn Charlotte Concord

Courtyard Charlotte Concord

Guest 4 bufords

in case i screw up and can't get a room at the host hotel and have to stay at another place like microtel,will they have security personel there? think other members would be concerned about the safety of our jewells. 4 bufords from ct

I doubt that the Microtel will have security on hand. It's a one way in, one way out sort of deal, but I don't think they'll give you a security guard for just $70 a night.

You would probably have better luck with one of the other ones that I posted that are really close to the host hotel. You'll be closer, and (with the upper end ones) you may be able to get a security guard.

I would call all the hotels and ask. Just check and see.

Look forward to seeing you all there!!

• 1 month later...

Another month another update

We gained only 3 more registrations in the past month, but 8 additional cars. So 40 registered with 36 cars. I'm not surprised registrations have slowed down as most people wait until the last minute, but for planning purposes if the earlier you can make your plans the better please. The oldest car registered so far is a 1932; the newest, a 1996. Seven Reatta's so far.

The hotel has been filling up quickly. A few statistics:

48% of room block is full

peak night room block is 42% full

peak night, BCA has booked 1/3 of the entire hotel

So get your room booked soon, 704-455-8200 is the direct line to the host hotel.

We now have confirmation that the showfield on Saturday will be inside the 1.5 Mi Charlotte Motor Speedway in the areas surrounding the cup and Nationwide garage buildings. Maps are available on our website 2012 Buick Club of America 500 at Concord, NC National Meet.

The other big news is Mr. Earl's 5454th post on the BCA Forum http://forums.aaca.org/f115/5454-310730.html inviting all 1954 Buick's to the 2012 National meet with a goal of 54-'54s at the meet visit 1954 Buick Highway - Welcome to the 1954 Buick Highway! for more information.

We also have a few limited edition 2012 polo's still available. Contact me for more info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Monthly Update!

Registrations are up to 45 with 39 cars. The host hotel continues to fill and is now.

55% of the Friday night room block booked

42% of the entire hotel in total Friday night is booked to the BCA

64% of the total room block is full.

Direct line to the host hotel Embassy Suites is 705-455-8200

We still have some 2012 Polo shirts left I can deliver to Hershey next week if you want one (or more). See my post in the BCA General Discussion for the meet. to see photos, sizes and prices.

Below my local AACA Chapter visited Oehler Barn, our Friday Night BBQ Buick Heritage Alliance Cookout location. Below are some photos from that event.

post-53096-143138679659_thumb.jpg

post-53096-143138679664_thumb.jpg

post-53096-14313867967_thumb.jpg

post-53096-143138679675_thumb.jpg

post-53096-14313867968_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rooms are filling up fast guys.. Brian's post on the Buick General Forum says that 77% of the total room block is full, and 54% of the hotel is booked by members of the BCA.

Direct line to the host hotel Embassy Suites is 704-455-8200

Call and make your reservations now!

Here, I've got a challenge.. In Ames in 2010, The Reatta Division had a whopping 39 Reattas show up for the Reatta Rendezvous. I want to beat that record.

We're going to try for 50 (10% of the 500 car goal) Reattas in Charlotte. This shouldn't be hard, I mean, Reattas are reliable cars, Charlotte is a pretty central location for a lot of people.. Why not?

So can we get at least 50 Reattas to come? The '54 Buick club is trying for Fifty Four '54 Buicks.. So why can't we try for a measly 50?

Let's go!! :D (Maybe we'll even beat the '54 guys!)

We are the.. not 1%... the 10%!!

Here, I've got a challenge.. In Ames in 2010, The Reatta Division had a whopping 39 Reattas show up for the Reatta Rendezvous. I want to beat that record.

We're going to try for 50 (10% of the 500 car goal) Reattas in Charlotte. This shouldn't be hard, I mean, Reattas are reliable cars, Charlotte is a pretty central location for a lot of people.. Why not?

So can we get at least 50 Reattas to come? The '54 Buick club is trying for Fifty Four '54 Buicks.. So why can't we try for a measly 50?

Let's go!! :D (Maybe we'll even beat the '54 guys!)

We are the.. not 1%... the 10%!!

As of now Reatta's are the 16.67% with 7 of 42 cars registered, the most of any "category". The '36-'38 guys are trying for a large turn out as well with the 75th Anniversary event, (BTW next year is the 25th for the Reatta's first year hint hint wink wink). They have 2 cars registered, but 10 more of the rarer model's owners have verbally committed to attend. While I know verbal commitments are worth the paper they are written on I had to give you some sort of challenge!!! :D

I'll try to update the counts as we get closer to the event.

Edited by 38Buick 80C
Spelling (see edit history)

As of now Reatta's are the 16.67% with 7 of 42 cars registered, the most of any "category". The '36-'38 guys are trying for a large turn out as well with the 75th Anniversary event, (BTW next year is the 25th for the Reatta's first year hint hint wink wink). They have 2 cars registered, but 10 more of the rarer model's owners have verbally committed to attend. While I know verbal commitments are worth the paper they are written on I had to give you some sort of challenge!!! :D

I'll try to update the counts as we get closer to the event.

Actually, two years from now (2013) wold be the 25th.. ;) Close though.. :D

I still haven't registered.. Still eating to see if I can get a second Reatta up to 400pt standards.. That's a secret though.. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest CarolinaBuick2012

OK we are up to 49 cars and 57 registrants. So we picked up 8 cars (1 Reatta) this past month which is very good. Compared to the previous few meets, registrations were not at these levels until February. So hopefully this is signs of a large attendance of Buicks.

As for the Host Hotel we added 100 more rooms to the block , but despite that we are now at

81% of the Friday night room block is booked

67% of the entire hotel in total Friday night is booked to the BCA

82% of the total room block is booked.

Direct line to the host hotel Embassy Suites is 704-455-8200

Unfortunately I do need to inform everybody that zMax Dragway has canceled the Drag and Brag Series for 2012. This means we will not get to race our Buicks on the 4 wide strip. I know some will be disappointed with this news and unfortunately it is not something within our control as we were planning on using this event in lieu of renting the track, which is rather costly and presents problems with BCA's insurance provider.

Historically, the host hotel for the BCA national meet would sell out in the first couple of months after it was announced. This was back in the early part of 2000.

Maybe because we are watching our $$ and have younger families attending they seem to look for lower priced lodging and don't seem to care that they are away from the host hote.

Part of the BCA experiance is been "there" the host hotel has the meeting rooms, all the tours leave from the host hotel, the swap meet and indoor vendors are at the host hotel and there is a lot of "shop talk" taking place in the parking lot until late at night.

Support the BCA and yourself by staying at the host hotel if possible.

With that said, I looked into other hotels near the host. There are 2 across the street (a side street so you would not get killed crossing a major street) however the prices are only slightly lower and they do not have a free breakfast. If you do not eat breakfast that would not be an issue. You can do a Google Map search of the host hotel and then zoom in on the satallite view and you can get an excellant idea of the hotel location.

Other hotels are far enough away that they are not within walking distance and because of that I did not compare prices.

We will have a great time (we always do) and I am sure those planning the Reatta Rendezvous will show us a good time also.

With that said, I looked into other hotels near the host. There are 2 across the street (a side street so you would not get killed crossing a major street) ... You can do a Google Map search of the host hotel and then zoom in on the satellite view and you can get an excellent idea of the hotel location.

Other hotels are far enough away that they are not within walking distance and because of that I did not compare prices.

As Barney mentions there are two hotels with an additional 300 or so rooms next door. "Across the street" may be deceptive, basically they are next door neighbors as the "street" is more of a driveway, certainly walkable for most individuals.

The are an additional 1400 rooms within 1 mile of the host hotel (including the 300 adjacent) so there are PLENTY of rooms. However for those, as Barney mentioned, prefer the host hotel experience, the information is provided above simply to communicate it.

At this time there are no BCA rates at the other hotels, that is not to say there will not be if the need arises, but due to the Carolina Chapter's contracts with the host hotel we obviously want to BCA guests to stay there so we meet our obligations and so there are no financial penalties.

While Brian did not directly say it...... The Carolina Chapter contracts with a hotel for some number of rooms. If that number is not met, the Carolina Chapter is responsible for the cost of the unsold rooms.

Lets not take the chance of the Carolina Chapter taking precious funds from their income to pay for rooms not sold. Lets pack the Host hotel and not take the chance of the Carolina Chapter taking a hit.

While not published a few years back, The Crowne Plaza in Colorado Springs was contracted for XXX number of rooms. They got greedy and sold more rooms to BCA members. On the surface this does not look like a problem, but another hotel across the street was contracted for XXX rooms (when the contracts were signed, the Crowne Plaza would only commit to the contracted number. But as times changed, they saw the chance to fill more rooms) BCA members stayed at the Crowne Plaza and the hotel across the street did not receive reservations for the contracted number of rooms (because of the Crowne Plazas action) There was legal action threatned and the problem was eventually resolved without the Colorado Buick people taking a hit.

Work with the people putting on the national meet so they do not loose sleep.

Here is a link that has lots of information about the area of the 2012 National meet.

Cabarrus is the county in which Concord resides and this web site goes on forever, giving you information on many things to see and do.

If you have not looked at a map, our exit is 49 off I-85.

Visit Cabarrus: Where Racing Lives

Hey!

Are there any Polos left - more importantly are they Green?

I do have a few polos left, but they are CAROLINA BLUE.

Besides the limited edition polos we will have a wide variety of other merchandise via our merchandiser, but I don't think we have anything in green, but I'll check. With the BCA logo in red white and blue and the 2012 logo also featuring blue, I think we have a lot of blue. Green is my favorite color so there is no green discrimination.

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)

Here is a link that has lots of information about the area of the 2012 National meet.

Cabarrus is the county in which Concord resides and this web site goes on forever, giving you information on many things to see and do.

If you have not looked at a map, our exit is 49 off I-85.

Visit Cabarrus: Where Racing Lives

The folks at the Convention Bureau (the Where Racing Lives site that Barney has linked) are absolutely fabulous to work with and have been a tremendous help to the Carolina Chapter. They will have someone present at the BCA Registration area during the meet to assist our BCA guest as well.

There is also a map that the Carolina Chapter has made showing the showfield and host hotel and the exit. at our website 2012 Buick Club of America 500 at Concord, NC National Meet