1930 Durant Coupe?

Guest danceswithpumps

Guest danceswithpumps

I found this Durant in my area. Didn't get to talk to the owner but he is open to offers. Original mohair there but needs some interior work and top. 20K might be original. Running boards are wood. Runs. Fuel system changed to newer style pump, has new gas tank. Has been stored in a barn since '44. Original owner bought new in 30, went off to war and was killed. No rust that I could see. Rumble seat has springs but no upholstery. Tires look good. Fenders have been repainted with a brush, a few small dents.

Anybody have an idea on value?

Thanks,

Rod

20110625153614.jpg

20110625153526.jpg

20110625153340.jpg

20110625153353.jpg

20110625153503.jpg

20110625153705.jpg

The usual reply is "what ever someone is willing to pay for it" and that seems true many times. I'd shoot for around the $4,000 area if it runs. You might jump over to the Durant Motors Automobile Club forum at The Durant Motors Automobile Club - International and post some pictures and information there. Interesting story about the owner and WWII though.

Hi Rod......

Interesting car ! Something is strange. The rad shell & emblem are 1930-31 as well as the dash, but the motor is 1928 or 1929.

What does the brass tag on the drivers side of the motor say? I'm thinking 14L

There should be a data plate tacked to the floor board near the gear shift passenger side if 1930. The 1929 and earlier had it on the firewall, passenger side under the hood. This will give the model number as well as production plant and serial number.

As Mike suggested, come on over to the Durant forum and post these pictures there. You will get a much better response.

Frank Witkowski

President DMAC

Guest danceswithpumps

Thanks, Frank, Dave and Mike for all of the help, advice and info. If all goes well tomorrow I'll try to get back to take more pics of the car. I do remember seeing that SN# plate on the floorboard on the passenger side. The brass plate on the left side of the engine states the valve clearance and maybe a SN#.

Thanks, again!

Rod

Guest danceswithpumps

I went back this morning, got more info and pics. It is a model 617 Car

# 1739 found on tag on passenger side floorboard. The tag on the engine says: Continental Engine 15 U SN# 4935. I talked to the owner and he said if he didn't get an offer of $10,000 that he was going to Rat Rod it. I tried to tell him that the car was too good to tear apart and knowing the story behind the car was a plus. He mentioned that the owner was killed on D Day, June 6, '44 and that he bought it from the 1st owner's family. The guy is a younger 40ish and either doesn't appreciate stock cars of that era or thought it would scare me into writing him a check on the spot. I think it runs but he said he didn't want to start it up as it was low on gas and gas is high....So if anyone wants to talk to the owner, email me and I'll give the owner'''s phone number to you.

IMO I think it doesn't have the original rear bumper as it has a full width bumper but has the spare tire carrier also...not a big deal though.

I was going to post these pics on the very nice Durant Club site but, unless I'm mistaken, I think it's not a free site and doubt if I'll own a Durant...

Thanks,

Rod

20110627083800.jpg

20110627083816.jpg

20110627083843.jpg

20110627083911.jpg

20110627083938.jpg

20110627084131.jpg

20110627084208.jpg

20110627090011.jpg

20110627083744-1.jpg

Guest danceswithpumps
Rear bumper should definitely be a split type. Front bumper has a Model A Ford clamp and the front bumper itself may not be original. Otherwise a nice car.

You're right, John. I hadn't noticed that.

When I first glanced at this car as I was driving down the street, I thought it was a Dodge. I guess it was the shape of the body and the wheels. Do you know if a company made these for other makes of cars or did each car company make their own? Parts probably weren't "farmed out" like they are today.

Rod

Hi Rod......

Thanks for the additional info and pictures.

Nice car, but top value is about half of what owner thinks. Would be a shame to see this car rodded, but maybe some collector can use the left over parts.

You can post on the Durant web site. It is a free site. You do not need to be a member.

Frank

Guest danceswithpumps
Hi Rod......

Thanks for the additional info and pictures.

Nice car, but top value is about half of what owner thinks. Would be a shame to see this car rodded, but maybe some collector can use the left over parts.

You can post on the Durant web site. It is a free site. You do not need to be a member.

Frank

Thanks, Frank. I think I figured it out and got this on the Durant website.

Rod

The Durant Motors Automobile Club - International

• 4 months later...

Thanks Rod for keeping us posted. I hope it goes to someone who will restore the car to it's original shape. There aren't that many 617's left out there and especially any Durants. We need all of them we can restored to original condition as we can. Hopefully the new owner will join the Durant club as it's the only way to go when you own or restore one of these. Far to many of these great old cars Durant and other makes of the 20's and 30's are being hacked up for hotroding. Truly a crime.

Guest danceswithpumps

:)I have had several emails from the new owner and am happy to report that he and his wife are in the process of restoring the Durant to stock/like new condition. The car has found a great home.

Thanks,:)

Rod

• 1 year later...
Guest danceswithpumps

Here are some pics I got from the new owner after paint and upholstering. Nice to know it wasn't rodded.

0311130933.jpg

0311130933a.jpg

0311130933b.jpg

0311130933c.jpg

Thanks,

Rod

• 2 months later...
Guest thefryeguy

Thanks for the follow up, and the car looks beautiful. I read this thread some time ago (several years) and was curious what happened to the car. As a Durant owner, it's nice to see other people loving the marque.

• 4 years later...