PA Residents! Good news

I had a long talk with my notary last night. She was totally uninformed about the new law. She had gotten informed by the state notary association that the regulation was pending but nothing more. Her opinion was that it would be at least a year and a half before the regulation would be in effect.

I have been an inspection mechanic for 35 years and pendot usually sends bulletins thru our emission machines, in fact, the state was just here doing an audit and he doesnt even know about the whole plate issue. i guess i can wait.

Yes, I agree we will need to wait and see how PennDOT implements the law.

Part of the law is not in these specific words, but it seems the confusing part mentions using YOM plates in lieu of Antique Classic plates.

The problem is Historic Antique plates are different than Classic plates. The current Historic Antique registration does not require an annual inspection whereas the current Classic registration does require annual safety inspections but not emissions tests.

In my opinion they should have written the law using the words "Historic Antique registration" and left out the word "Classic".

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Guest dcdpgh

PennDOT is going to allow YOM plates on both Antique and Classic registered vehicles, hence the reference to both classifications in HB 1203. I think the easiest way to think of, or explain this new YOM provision is this - it is simply providing an avenue to display a vintage plate once you demonstrate and provide the (yet to be confirmed) documentation to PennDOT. If your car is registered as a classic, it will still be a classic if you pursue and are granted permission to display a YOM/vintage plate. If your car is resigtered as an antique, it will still be an antique if you pursue and are granted permission to display a YOM/vintage plate. This new law is simply about the abiity to display a YOM/vintage plate. It does not create a new "vintage" registration class.

What I do wonder about, however, is how one will be able to distinguish a classic vehicle from an antique vehicle if it is adorned with a YOM/vintage plate. As mentioned several times above, classic registrations require an annual safety inspection, while antique registrations do not. If an old car rolls by you and does not have a safety inspection sticker in the lower corner of the windshield, is it a legal antique car, or is it an illegal classic car?

I attended a meeting today with Penndot and three legislators at the Capital. Briefly here are some thoughts:

1. The regulations on using YOM plates are not final and probably not until August. It is my understanding that they are doing their best to make this a simple process. I have been asked to forward them information on other states and how they handle things.

2. We also discussed two other major subjects and I can tell you that Penndot could not have been more accommodating. Despite my issues with them in the past I now understand better why these issues exist. They were more than willing to help our hobby out and even offered some ideas that were far more liberal then I would even personally ever suggest.

3. You have heard the expression "we have met the enemy and he is us"? A big part of the issues Penndot has had is that the regulations that were instituted in 1976 were at a time that the hobby was far different. They used AACA verbiage and developed the regulations based on our input. Over time the hobby has changed, AACA has changed but the "laws" did not. This is particularly true when it comes to our view of unrestored cars or originals.

I am very excited about the possibility for some significant changes to issues that affect us. I see a distinct possibility that improvements will in fact be made and save all of us from a lot of aggravation!

• 1 month later...
Guest dcdpgh

I am curious as well. This act became law in mid April, and should be administered within 120 days (4 months). It has been three months...

Guest poolmike

I've been running a 1937 tag on my '37 Ford pickup for 2 years now. Bought the tag at a flea market, restored it, registered a new PA vanity tag with the same digits and threw that tag under the seat, just in case I get stopped by revenuers. I am not registered antique/classic. The truck is driven daily. Drove it from Philly to Pittsburgh and back several times, to and through several states. Haven't had a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Moving

PennDOT

Forward

BULLETIN NO. 12-09 August 2012

Driver and VehicleServices Update Bureau of Motor Vehicles - Research and Support Operations SectionP.O. Box 68031, Harrisburg, PA 17106-8031This bulletin may be downloaded by visiting the Driver and Vehicle Serviceswebsite at

www.dmv.state.pa.usTom Corbett, Governor Barry J. Schoch, P.E., Secretary

Information contained in this bulletin..... Vintage Registration Plates. Antique and Classic - No Photographs

ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC - NOPHOTOGRAPHS

When applying for an Antique or Classic vehicleregistration, photographs of the vehicle are no longerrequired. Form MV-11, "Application for Permanent,Antique, Classic or Collectible Registration Plate," hasbeen revised and has an edition date of 8-12 and isavailable on our website at

PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services. Theform now includes a certification section, which reads,"The vehicle has been maintained in or restored to acondition that is essentially the same as that which avehicle of that particular year and model would havebeen in at the time it was originally manufactured andboth interior and exterior are in good condition includingpaint, chrome, wheels and body. I understand that thisvehicle must be maintained in compliance withPennsylvania Equipment Regulations.”Please note, four color photographs are still requiredwhen applying for a Collectible Vehicle registration.Act 25, signed into law on April 12, 2012, provides fora vintage registration plate to be displayed in lieu of aspecial antique or classic registration plate for this typeof vehicle. This law is effective August 10, 2012.A vintage registration plate is a "period issued"registration plate from 1906 to 1975 to be displayed onan antique or classic vehicle with the samecorresponding year of manufacture. Vintageregistration plates will not be manufactured or issuedby the Department. Applicants are required to providethe vintage registration plate they wish to display ontheir antique or classic vehicle.Form MV-11V, "Application to Display a VintageRegistration Plate," has been created to accommodatethese requests and has an edition date of 8-12 and isavailable on our website at PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services. Thefee to apply to display a vintage registration plate is$75. NOTE: This is in addition to any fees that may bedue for antique or classic registration.

VINTAGE REGISTRATION PLATES

AGENTS ARE REQUIRED TO ENSURE ALL THEIR EMPLOYEES RECEIVE

PENNDOT’S DRIVER AND VEHICLE SERVICES UPDATE BULLETINS

Hopefully this will meet with your approval!

Edited by Steve Moskowitz (see edit history)

The new MV-11V has been posted to Penn DOT's webiste. Victory! However, the old MV-11 is still on the website so it would seem that pictures will still be required until the updated MV-11 is posted. I was hoping to get my new(1929) plate registered today, but I'm still waiting for an update from my insurance provider.

No pictures required, with one exception unrelated to the MV-11 form.

I just got back from changing my 1933 Chevrolet over from a Antique / Historic Car purple plate to a Vintage (year of manufacture) plate at PennDOT in Harrisburg and everything went great. The MV-11V form was easy to complete. Since I went to PennDOT Harrisburg, I did not need a photo of the Vintage license plate since I took it with me, but according to the MV-11V form it says you need a photo of the Vintage plate if you send the paperwork in for processing. 1933 had front and rear plates and I did not need both, even though I have both and have one on the front and back.

In addition to taking the Purple plate off my 1933 Chevrolet and replacing it with a vintage plate, I then transferred the Purple Antique / Historic Car plate to my 1984 BMW and changed the title over to Antique category. Vintage (YOM) plates are not an option for 1984.

For the 1984 I need to submit both the VM-11 form to change it to an Antique title, and another form to transfer the purple plate to the car.

No Front, Side, Rear vehicle photos were required for any transaction I completed as stated in Steve's PennDOT Bulletin above, even though the MV-11 still states you need them.

For future reference, I also asked about Vintage (YOM) for my 1962 Triumph TR4 when I register it after completing the restoration. In 1962 PA plates are actually 1958 plates with a 1962 sticker, you list it as a 1962 plate since it will be used on a 1962 car.

Title, proof of insurance, and PA drivers license ID were required.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

That subject was one of the ones discussed...I seem to have two cars that need titles in my own garage!

Steve,

When you posted "That subject was one of the ones discussed" that would indicate other topics were discussed.

I sincerely hope one of those other topics discussed was that the PA DMV consider manufacturing NEW period issue plates for antique vehicles post 1975. Yes, I realize that opens up a potential can-o-worms. I would imagine the state could sell more than a few of these tags at the going Antique Tag Fee Rate given there are now 12 years of potential new customers with the number of customers increasing each and every year.

If new Y-O-M plates post 1975 are not feasible, what about adding the Y-O-M to the current Antique Tag the PA DMV Issues as an extra cost option for those who want it? More revenue for the state for those willing to spend the $$$$.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mochet

I sent in my application Aug. 20th and got back the papers today from PennDot. Very efficient. All they wanted was a photo of the license plate which I printed out on my computer (and $75). I'll have my "new" 1958 plate on at Hershey.

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

I mailed my vintage plate form in and received my new registration card back in two weeks. 10 business days mail box to mail box to be exact, hard to complain about that.

• 2 months later...

Here's an interesting glitch...

Back in August I registered a YOM plate to my '62 Oldsmobile, which was already titled as an antique. That car had a purple plate that I have had for 25 years.

I recently tried to transfer that purple plate to an '87 Corvette with a new antique title application. My application came back rejected, because "the registration plate which you are transferring is not currently assigned to the vehicle from which you have indicated that the plate is being removed."

So, I guess the antique plates no longer stay with the owner for future use.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Paul

i just sent my YOM stuff in on the nov. 26. i also want change my 72 chevelle ss from classic to antique, AND HERES THE BIG BUT, to go to YOM, first make it antique, then YOM. the way i readb it is 75.00 to antique then anoyher 75.00 to YOM, total 150.00 but pendot says there is still anoyher 22.50 charge for transfer. so i will send them 97.50 just to get my A tag, just to get my moneys worth. then in another month or so, i will send for the YOM plate. STUPID HUH? i`ll keep you posted. (im taking the chevy to antique status just to stop the inspections-maybe 200 miles a year, i know i need to drive more)

Oldsfan, I believe yours problem is you are not actually trying to transfer you Purple plate, but rather attempting to reuse an old expired plate after being off of a car for 3 months. Back in August I transferred my active purple plate that was on my 1933 Chevrolet directly to my 1984 BMW 633 CSi and then registered my 1933 Chevrolet immediately with the YOM plate. Completed everything in one trip to PennDOT, with no break in time.

Sounds like you re-registered your 1962 Olds with a YOM plate and since you had not immediately transferred the Purple plate to the other car it became invalid and unusable.

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

I work for a dealership, and our titlework goes to the state through a dealer organization. That is how my transfer was sent. We heard back from them yesterday. They said they don't normally do this. Apparently, once you replace an antique tag with a YOM tag, the antique tag does, in fact, go dead. But in my case they'll make an exception.

Momma always told me I was special...

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 1923 model t roadster pickup. It is completely orginal (accept for tires and radiator hoses). It was taken off the road in 1945 and still has the 45 plate and the 45 inspection sticker on the windshield. I just got antique plates for the truck. I would like of like to trade the ugly antique plate in for a YOM plate. I thought it would be neat to use the 1945 plate. I know that's not the year the car was manufactured, but was the last one on it before it was put in storage. It's also kind of rusty but the colors still show through. My question is, Will the PA state law allow this, or must I used a 1923 plate? None of my notaries know anything. They can hardly handle the new "no picture" rule.

I also can't believe it's going to cost me an additional $75. I already gave them $75 to regisiter it as a antique, and now they want an additional $75 and I have to supply the plate. I can't understand why I couldn't just licence the truck the first time, with the old plate for a one time charge of $75. The answer I got was, "well that's the way the law was written".

I'm glad PA did this finally, but the $150 charge is kind of hard to swallow. It certainly will keep me using my purple plates on my other cars.

Gruber;

I had figured out the 150.00 angle as soon as it came out. It is just another method to squeeze more money out of us, I do like however, the provision of the law that no longer requires a series of pictures to be sent in in order to register an antique. Certainly will make it easier to get a work in process on the road before it is completely finished!!! I've decided to use my purple (or the ridiculous "antique car") plates while on the road and carry my old plate and replace it on the show field!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Call911

Hello Everyone,

I live outside Gettysburg and just found this forum while looking for more information on the recent passing of the law for YOM plates on antique vehicles. Great news! I do have some questions I was hoping members could clarify.

1. If you find an appropriate YOM plate, must it also have a correct registration sticker, either real or repro? (Say, a '58 plate with a '62 sticker - which is how it would have displayed in '62)

2. If you go throught the process with your YOM plate, and later on find an even better YOM plate, can you change it provided you pay another $75? Or does the plate now always stay with the car as long as you own it?

3. Can I now buy a used purple Antique Historic Vehicle plate and register it with this new law, even though it is not a YOM plate? I detest the new ones I currently run.

4. Can I buy one of these used purple antique plates and run it on my '87 car with current new antique plates? The law states YOM ends with 1979 for now. If not, should I get a purple antique plate for my pre-1979 vehicle (if allowed), then later transfer it to the '87 as mentioned above?

5. Are appropriate YOM specialty plates or vanity plates also allowed (Press Photographer, etc.)?

I know, lots of questions, but I'm trying to avoid buying a plate only to find out it is not allowed. Thank you for your assistance!

Cheers,

Henry

I live outside Gettysburg and just found this forum while looking for more information on the recent passing of the law for YOM plates on antique vehicles. Great news! I do have some questions I was hoping members could clarify.

1. If you find an appropriate YOM plate, must it also have a correct registration sticker, either real or repro? (Say, a '58 plate with a '62 sticker - which is how it would have displayed in '62)

No. Antique cars don't require annual registration.

2. If you go throught the process with your YOM plate, and later on find an even better YOM plate, can you change it provided you pay another $75? Or does the plate now always stay with the car as long as you own it?

Yes, the state wants your money!

3. Can I now buy a used purple Antique Historic Vehicle plate and register it with this new law, even though it is not a YOM plate? I detest the new ones I currently run.

The purple plates are not YOM plates, so do not fall under that law.

(Can't answer #4)

5. Are appropriate YOM specialty plates or vanity plates also allowed (Press Photographer, etc.)?

Yes, if they are not in use.

Phil

Guest Call911

Phil, thank you for all the detailed answers! Could anyone comment on the remaining one, #4?

4. Can I buy one of these used purple antique plates and run it on my '87 car with current new antique plates? The law states YOM ends with 1979 for now. If not, should I get a purple antique plate for my pre-1979 vehicle (if allowed), then later transfer it to the '87 as mentioned above?

Looks like I'm off to Spring Carlisle to hunt for some PA plates. :)

Thanks,

Henry

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Siegfried

In regards to your desire to purchase a 'Purple Antique' license plate. I'll provide what I know to your question.

When I registered my first antique car back in 1988 I was told that the plate was owned by me, and only me. However, I could transfer it to another car that I owned if I wanted to. I did transfer one of my antique plates a few years ago, and had no trouble doing so.

My suggestion is that you should contact PaDOT to find out if you can use a purple plate that you purchase from someone.

I love the purple plate because it 'STANDS' out to the guy behind you. The new one gets lost to whomever is following you. In my opinion PaDOT mucked up when they deep-sixed the purple plate.

Guest Call911

I had a great conversation yesterday with Lindsay at the PA DMV. I was able to clarify several points and thought posting her answers here may help others.

1. You may obtain a YOM plate correct for your vehicle. It does NOT have to have the correct year registration sticker. In other words, you can run a '58 plate with no sticker on a '62 car.

2. YOM Dealer plates are allowed for your vehicle.

3. Any antique plates may be changed for another any time in the future, provided you pay another $75 to register the plate.

4. A truck may run YOM "Truck" or "Commercial" plate.

5. Antique Historical Vehicle or Purple plates - You may obtain these and run on any vehicle PROVIDED they are not already registered in the system. If so, the current "owner" would have to sign a release. If you obtain a nonassigned one, you need MV-11 Form AND a notarized MV-120 Form at a DMV office. This would also fill the current gap for 25+ year old 1975 - 1988 vehicles that cannot run YOM plates

6. Specialty or Vanity plates - case by case basis. Probably can't use a "House of Representatives" plate for example.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Henry

• 2 weeks later...

5. Antique Historical Vehicle or Purple plates - You may obtain these and run on any vehicle PROVIDED they are not already registered in the system. If so, the current "owner" would have to sign a release.

Hi Henry,

The above point you make is key if one is searching for a YOM plate to buy at swap meets or even online. Nothing like buying a YOM plate to then find out it is still active in the PA DMV records and thus can not be used for your antique auto.

PA DMV has updated their webpage for checking the availability for custom vanity plates to now also check if an antique plate number is open and available.

You can check antique PA plates at https://www.dot33.state.pa.us/vehicle_services/vrvanity.jsp#top?20130220144104453=20130220144104453

I keep this link bookmarked on my mobile phone so I can check a license plate that I might find at shop or swap meet. - Bob

• 7 months later...
Guest Matt M, PA

Good info on this thread.

I have two of the white Classic plates that were on former cars of mine. I wish to use one on a car now, and another in a couple years. I also had a third signed over to me from a friend, but for some reason it's listed with the state as a "dead plate" and cannot be used.

I did try the vanity tag page on-line, and the plate given to me came up as "unavailable", while my two plates came up as "available'.

Is there a way to know if a plate can be used or not? Since these plates have been with me so long, I really want to use them.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't understand why it came back a dead plate if it was transfered to you. I would call Pendot to find out, maybe somebody dropped the ball ( it is Harrisburg). By the way I ran into the guy who set the price for YOM plates at Gettysburg spring meet. Said you can thank ME for getting the bill passed. Told him great the bill passed but little steep on the price considering how much we already put out for title & tags!. I then remembered that it's PA. just going deeper into our pockets!