PA Residents! Good news

I wouldn't count on that. Here in Ohio when a YOM plate is assigned to a car it still retains it's antique plate as well, which must be carried in the car at all times. If the car had no plate to begin with, or is newly registered as an antique, it is assigned a new antique plate that must be carried. The YOM plate mearly acts as a cross-reference to the "real" registration for the car.

You are correct as that appears to be the case according to the language in the bill.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2011&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=1203&pn=1598

The only thing politicians are interest in is being re-elected and before this bill came up for a vote in the House I sent my representative an email telling her I would be voting for her opponent in the next election if she didn't vote for it. Don't know if my email made a difference, but in her replied she said she was going to vote for it.

That said, send your senator an email or letter stating your plan is to vote them out of office the next time they are up for re-election if they don't get their @$$ in gear to bring this up for a vote and pass the bill. I already did.

Didn't you watch the news last night (16 August 2011), Good Guys finish last.

Enought on politics.

As far as keeping a "Historic/Antique" plate in addition to the YOM plate, I don't mind. I can still transfer my Purple plate to a vehicle like my 1984 BMW that is antique but is newer than the last YOM allowed (which I believe might be 1975 in the bill), then hide that ugly newer style White with Yellow and Blue "Historic/Antique plate in the car I am displaying my YOM plate on.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Edited by Vila
Added "Enough" statement (see edit history)

Yes, Vila, I tend to agree with your overall perception regarding politician's primary concern being to get re-elected. With that said, it's apparent that this senator is in the position, as head of the transportation committee, to either tie this bill up in committee or put it through to the floor for a vote, and for whatever reason he's decided to sit on it for the time being. It's an all too common tactic used today, and the idea that one individual could/should have this kind of power is an atrocity! However, unless we are willing to sit around until this poor excuse for a public servant is defeated, or retires, the only thing that we can do is try to figure out what this guy's purpose is in stalling this piece of legistlation. Once we know that it may be possible to pursuade him to change his views, either through lobbying, a mass letter campaign threatening to take votes away, etc... whatever works. There's always a reason for what these guys do. All too often is comes down to money, votes, or both!

Here is a link to contact the bill’s sponsor (John Lawrence) http://www.replawrence.com/contact.aspx

Here is a link to the bill’s fiscal report. This states that the owner is responsible for the YOM plate and says nothing about issuing a antique plate, which semi conflicts with the actual HB 1203 language.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/BI/FN/2011/0/HB1203P1598.pdf

Fairly simple. If you have a “purple” plate and want to go to a YOM plate you could transfer the “purple” plate to another vehicle as mention in the post above, or you could save it or sell / transfer it. Of course all pending on the bill being passed.

So, if I read this correctly, the only Purple plates that will be able to be used are ones already registered and on a vehicle right now.

What I want to do is use my purple plate that I have from another car that I sold a while ago, and didn't transfer the plate. That plate is currently "dead" according to PennDOT. Will this bill permit me to restore this plate back to life?

This is what I would like to see happen. If I happen to buy a purple plate at a flea market or swap meet, and the letter/number combination is not currently registered on a plate in PA, then let me register the plate I bought. A trip to the DMV or a notary to confirm the plate is legible and in good enough condition to be on my car should be enough to make the state happy that I wouldn't be sticking an illegible plate on my car.

From what I've read in this thread, this is NOT what the bill permits. Is that correct? I will be stuck with one of those new cheesy cartoon car plates? I HATE that F***ING plate.

As I stated above there appears to be a conflict between the bill and fiscal report regarding plates. The bill reads: “department may issue special plates for the motorcycle or vehicle. The special plate for antique motor vehicles, except antique motorcycles, shall bear the designation "antique vehicle." The fiscal report reads: “The plate must be provided by the owner and be legible from a reasonable distance”. So who know what the final outcome will be if any since currently all is shelved.

I see the purple plates sell at actions (some as much as $200) with no vehicle assigned to it so I assume whoever is buying these they are registering them to a vehicle.

Hey Ron,

Thanks for your reply. I am unconvinced, and believe that anyone buying a purple plate is doing it for either the value of the plate as a collectible, or they are hoping they can put it on a car but have no idea if they can yet.

I can tell you that right now, notaries and the state have both told me the same thing, that unless you buy a car with a purple plate and get it transferred to you from the owner, or unless you own a purple plate in your name on your car and are grandfathered in, there is no way to get an antique purple plate that is currently dead back in the system. I hope there is a clear answer on this, and I hope it falls in our favor. I know so many folks that would be thrilled with the move back to purple, and even if they aren't being made any more, you can get one if you look a bit. That is much more preferable to the plate with the horseless carriage oldsmobile picture.

I'm keeping the faith

Guest Mochet

Here is Senator John Rafferty's web site. Would anyone care to call him to see how he feels about HB1203? His intentions are critical, since he decides when & if it reaches the PA Senate for a vote.

Phil

• 1 month later...

No action on this bill as yet. It was passed by the House and referred to the Transportation Committee (headed by Senator Rafferty) on June 26, 2011. For some reason, it has not yet been sent by the committee for vote by the Senate.

Phil

Has anyone received any feedback from the Senator's office (Rafferty's office) as to what the issue(s) were that prevented the bill from being sent through for a vote? I emailed an inquiry some time back but never received any response. I understand that Rafferty is new to the , don't know much about him or his positions regarding the hobby.

franklinman:

You never will hear anything from this #%$^, I sent a message for his support of this bill back when it when to the senate transportation committee and never got a response.

Time for the voters in the PA 44th senate district to show the power of the ballot.

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

I just received a letter from Senator John Rafferty, Jr today in response to my email on HB 1203 and contrary to one comment above the bill is alive and well.

From the letter: "The legislation is not dead. No action was taken on the legislation in September due to several hearings that I (Senator Rafferty) conducted on the Governor's Transportation Report. This legislation may be considered at an October Committee meeting."

That said, get your pen and/or email working and send messages to Senator Rafferty or any other Senators on the Transportation Committee to request their support of this bill. In addition to other comments you may make in your letter/email I would mention that this will save PennDOT money since they will get the same registration fee and not be required to supply a license plate.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

I was told that a few weeks ago at a Hershey region meeting it was announced to the membership that this bill had passed. Spoke to at least two members at the fall meet who were buying PA antique license plates for their cars. I told them from what I know it hasn’t been officially passed which they said it was? Thinking they will be in for a surprise when they visit PennDot.

Yes it passed the PA House of Representatives several weeks ago, but then it had to go the the PA Senate and is currently in the Senate Transportation Committee for debate before it goes to the full senate for a vote and none of this has occurred to date.

Senator Rafferty's letter referenced in my previous posting was dated 5 October 2011.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

A reply I just received from PA Senator John Eichelberger concerning HB 1203:

"Mr. Jamison,

I was appointed to the Senate Transportation Committee this year and will ask about the bill. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

John Eichelberger"

I think this shows that committee members read emails, and may not even know this bill exists.

Phil

This is a very minor bill which could easily be forgotten, lost or tabled and no one would ever suffer for it. If all the committee members hear about it positively and realize it will cost the state nothing, they will think to move it along.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Yes last week HB 1203 made it through the PA Senate Transportation committee.

If anyone finds out when it is supposed to be brought up for a vote in the full Senate would you let us know. A day or so prior to the senate vote we need to do an email blitz of "ALL" our senators again to get it through the full senate.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Just a side note: HB 1203 passed the Senate Transportation Committee unanimously on October 18. This is a good sign that the bill will have bi-partisan support in the full Senate.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like it is time to email our state Senators to request their support of this bill.

Don't forget to include the fact that PennDOT will save money by passing this bill, since it will be the car owners responsibility to supply the Year of Manufacture license plate and PennDOT will not need to supply an Antique/Historic plate for the same registration fee.

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

The Senate didn't vote on our bill today. Nov. 15 & 16 are the only other session days this month. They meet for six days in December, and that's it for 2012.

Phil

This proposed bill is no longer on the Senate's calendar (next meeting is December 5th). The last action listed for this bill is that it was laid on the table. The Rules of the PA Senate as listed on their website define "laid on the table" as

"Any bill or resolution on the Calendar not finally acted upon within ten legislative days shall be removed from the Calendar and laid on the table, unless the Senate shall otherwise direct"

Does this mean that once again our representatives in Harrisburg have left this bill to die and have not acted upon the wishes of their constituents that have elected them? If so I think we should voice our displeasure in the next election. Let's show them what a force the AACA can be should we choose to vote with one unified voice!

Unfortunately this is another example of our government paying attention to only what serves their own vested interests. While we think of AACA, at 60K members, as a large group for our hobby, and it is, it really doesn't amount to a whole lot of votes for any individual legistlator. I've questioned several local representatives regarding this bill, and while they seem to have no real opposition it (at least when they're talking to me in person) they don't seem to have a lot of knowledge or understanding of what's really involved either. I've also been told that there isn't much support for it from PENNDOT. The attitude there has never really been all that supportive of the old car hobby. They seem to view us as more of a problem that has to be dealt with, and "let's do whatever we've got to do to get them our of our hair, but not any more than we absolutely have to do either". From the current looks of things, I think the bill is dead for the foreseeable future, and this isn't the first time for it. Unless we can get a few high placed / high powered individuals behind this thing I just don't think it's going to get done. Remember, we've got the best government that money can buy!

Franklinman, I have to disagree with you on your statement "it really doesn't amount to a whole lot of votes for an individual legislator".

When these state positions are sometime determined by as few as 100 vote, even 50 antique car enthusiasts can make a difference. 50 votes taken from one person and added to the others can easily erase that 100 votes.

It doesn't really change my vote anyways, since a few years ago I change my voting habits to always vote against everyone on the ballet that is currently in office.

The professional politicians represent themselves, not the people that elect them.

Time to go to my anger management class.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Just heard on the news yesterday that they managed to pass another bill approving a special order plate with "In God We Trust" on it. Hadn't heard anything about this before. Guess it's not as big of a problem for them to make a new plate as it is for them to permit us to re-use an old one?

Guest my3buicks
Just heard on the news yesterday that they managed to pass another bill approving a special order plate with "In God We Trust" on it. Hadn't heard anything about this before. Guess it's not as big of a problem for them to make a new plate as it is for them to permit us to re-use an old one?

That plate will be very popular for those Pennsylvanians that are non-Christian.

Guest my3buicks

Steve, yes I would agree some do, but some don't also, and of course the atheist's which is a larger group than many of us care to admit, but even as a Christian I firmly believe Government, be it state or federal should be totally separate from God and religion.

• 2 weeks later...
That's great, maybe those 4 milk crates full of license plates will finally be worth something to someone!!! Might even be worth restoring the slightly rusty ones. Thanks for the update Steve!!!

I'm not sure how this will work out in PA if it does, but, New York only excepts plates in unrestored original condition. You must bring a photograph of the plates to the DMV and the numbers and letters must not be in the system in use somewhere. Of course, after you get the number through, you could restore the plates and most likely it would go un-noticed. That's the way we do it here. No one has ever bothered me with 1915 plates on a 1915 car. Dandy Dave!