PA Residents! Good news

HB 1203 JUST PASSED THE FULL HOUSE!!! YOM manufacturers plates goes to the senate. Make sure your senator is aware of your interest. Sailed though the house but the senate is where the struggle might be.

In my haste to post this I did not give credit to AACA member Rep. John Lawrence for introducing this bill!! Thanks John!

Edited by Steve Moskowitz (see edit history)

Guest 4 bufords

i have 1962 plates on my 62 invicta,always getting asked how i cam use those plates.have to explaine that i can run yom plates.guy told me sunday that he has been stopped a few times for having 69 ct tags on his charger.4 bufords from ct

Guest Oldie & Goodie

Just picked up a set of NY 51' plates for our Roadmaster. Waiting for our DMV to issue our new registration. They really look nice, especially with the I LIKE IKE bumper sticker.

Here' hoping your law makers do the right thing.

I already have a set of 1933 PA plates ready for my 1933 Chevrolet and an PA original plate with the 1962 sticker for my 1962 Triumph TR4.

I hope the Senate passes the bill so I can re-register them with the Year of Manufacture plates.

I suggest PA residents email there senators and request their support on this bill.

The Pennsylvania Senate - Senators Listed Alphabetically

I noticed my Rep to the PA House was not a supporter of HR 1203 and my vote in the next election will show my support for her opponent.

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

I also notice that this bill defines "occasional use" as 1 day per week. Do the current regulations have this restriction?

That was the restriction on antique plates in PA when I lived there 10-25 years ago. It was almost impossible to enforce. The only person I ever knew who got ticketed for exceeding it drove his car to work twice in a row, parking it in a restricted lot for state employees that was routinely patrolled by the local police.

Guest De Soto Frank
It is unclear to me if the $75 fee to use YOM plates will be in addition to the $75 fee for regular Antique plates or not. I also notice that this bill defines "occasional use" as 1 day per week. Do the current regulations have this restriction?

Restorer,

I checked the current "antique plate" regs a few weeks ago, and they are still defining "occasional use" as "not more than 1 day per week", if I am remembering correctly.

In Maryland, where I last had vehicles tagged with "historic" tags, you could use the YOM plate, but had to have current (modern) historic plates registered to that car, and carried in the vehicle along with the current reigstration and insurance info.

I support the YOM bill for PA, but that usage limitation is still off-putting.

If you presently have regular plates, would the title have to be exchanged for one branded "Antique" or will there be a special brand?

A title is a title. Vehicle classifications are done through registrations and not titles. No differences between a new vehicle, car, truck or antique title. Those who have owned a vehicle a long time the older titles are larger than the new ones but contain the same info.

Unless things have changed recently, I believe you will find that if you're car is currently registered in PA as a "normal" registration and you change it over to "antique" you will get a new title. PA has "branded" titles and there is a code on the title showing that the car is an antique. You will pay the fee for the new title, along with the fee for the lifetime registration (i.e. good as long as you own the car). At least that's what the situation was the last time I went through it in PA.

Guest De Soto Frank
PA looks rather like a license plate, and it's shape was outlined on our plates, but no longer.

A 1958 PA plate:

pa61z35903.JPG

Phil

I have one of these on the front of my '61 Rambler :D

Yes, PA has a Code box on the title where they place a letter code. A= Antique, C= Classic, D= Collectable, w= flood vehicle, x= taxi, etc, etc for all the other codes.

When I originally bought my 1984 BMW I had regular plates on it, but when I met the 20

year requirement for the Classic plates they issued me a new title with a D code with the Classic plates. I can tell by the mileage shown on the title.

Seems like an Antique car is an Antique by the title code, independent of whether it has an antique or vintage plate. They don't put "Flood tags" on flood vehicles or "Former Taxi" tags on former taxis, but I bet the governor will figure out a way to squeeze a few more bucks out of us by coming up with a new title code for vintage plates.

I guess you pay the price.

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

I have one of these on the front of my '61 Rambler :D

When I lived in PA I was told by a police officer that having a second plate number on the car is illegal, even an old one like this and even mounted in front like this. (We were looking at a car with an old plat on the front at the time.) You could be cited for it if a cop decides he wants to, although granted it would be a pretty picayune citation.

Guest De Soto Frank
When I lived in PA I was told by a police officer that having a second plate number on the car is illegal, even an old one like this and even mounted in front like this. (We were looking at a car with an old plat on the front at the time.) You could be cited for it if a cop decides he wants to, although granted it would be a pretty picayune citation.

Well, whether or not it's "legal", there's an awful lot of folks that do it with their antiques.

Even ones that have an ancient PA plate ( from the '40s or '50s ), perhaps from their very first car on the front bumper of their modern daily-drivers.

I would hope that the local constabulary have much bigger fish to fry.

Especially since PA is a "one-plate" state when it comes to vehicle tags.

Guest Siegfried
Unless things have changed recently, I believe you will find that if you're car is currently registered in PA as a "normal" registration and you change it over to "antique" you will get a new title. PA has "branded" titles and there is a code on the title showing that the car is an antique. You will pay the fee for the new title, along with the fee for the lifetime registration (i.e. good as long as you own the car). At least that's what the situation was the last time I went through it in PA.

You are correct. Only one item to add. You can transfer your antique plate from one vehicle to another. I did this two years ago.

And finally, Thanks to all involved in getting YOM in the state of Pa. Here's hoping it will pass through the senate

Guest Siegfried

You are correct also. A former neighbor was a Pa. State Policeman, and he questioned my USA overseas plate on the front one of my cars. He stated that he'd probably give a warning, but watchout for the local guys.

I would hope that the local constabulary have much bigger fish to fry.

I would certainly agree, but there are always a few grains of sand in the system.

In the Pittsburgh area there was a particular patrolman in the southern suburb of Mt. Lebanon who was infamous in that area for picking on antique car violations. He is the guy who tagged an acquaintance of mine for hauling a picnic table in the bed of his antique registered '66 Ford pickup, which cost him over $600.00 20+ years ago.

I also knew a guy with a street rod who got pulled over for hauling a picnic cooler in his roadster/pickup's bed. The cooler was even painted to match the truck! The only reason he got off on that one was because he opened the cooler and showed the cop his lunch!

Personally I try never to give a jerk an excuse to reveal himself.:(

Guest Siegfried

Personally I try never to give a jerk an excuse to reveal himself.:(

Dave, in the often quoted words of our generation 'RIGHT ON'!.:cool:

Guest De Soto Frank

I guess there's less personal risk involved citing an antique car owner then there is in say, chasing-down drug dealers....

A title is a title. Vehicle classifications are done through registrations and not titles. No differences between a new vehicle, car, truck or antique title. Those who have owned a vehicle a long time the older titles are larger than the new ones but contain the same info.

I finally had some time over the holiday to pull several titles and low and behold there is a “branded” column to select from. The titles are all the same except the little box that classifies / brands a vehicle. Learn something daily.

I finally had some time over the holiday to pull several titles and low and behold there is a “branded” column to select from. The titles are all the same except the little box that classifies / brands a vehicle. Learn something daily.

Ron, if you look on the back of those titles you may find one other difference. "Newer" PA titles (probably those less than 50 years old) have 2 spaces for new owners to sign over the title when the car is purchased. Before that there was only one, and if the car was signed over to someone else (i.e. a used car dealer) you had to attach a notarized form for the second (& first) purchaser to sign.

I had to do that with a 1960 Falcon I bought in 1980. Even then that form was almost impossible to find. The AAA where I transferred the title had to search the place, and when they did find one it was a 8th or 9th generation photocopy that looked like it was written in cyrillic characters!:rolleyes:

Dave, one car I have owned 37 years, the title is huge as compared to the newer ones.

Many complain about the PA DMV but a few years ago I somehow lost 3 titles and had to fill out the paperwork for new ones. It was surprising easy and the lady at the window helped me fill out the forms. It took a total of 25 minutes for 3 new titles. <O:p

• 3 weeks later...

Just received this from my Senator, Andrew Dinniman:

Please know that I do support HB 1203 and will vote for it when it gets to the floor.

The legislation is currently in the Senate Transportation Committee. In addition, you may want to consider writing to Senator John Rafferty, who represents a portion of Chester County and serves as chair of the committee, to encourage him to call the bill for a vote.

Thank you,

Andy

Perhaps others may care to direct comments to Senator Rafferty. His email is jrafferty@pasen.gov

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
For those who do switch to the YOM plates, many of the desirable and hard to obtain purple antique plates will be freed up.

Does anyone know what this means?

Are you saying that if I have an old purple plate that I'd like to put on my antique, I will now be permitted?

If that's true, that would be great. I have one, and I would love to put it on my car. I refuse to put that new plate on my car. It is pathetic.

Also, for plates that run 6 years, like the 64 - 70 plate, will the plate have to have the proper year's sticker on it, or could any plate from that era go on a car built in say, 1968?

Still, nothing would beat a purple plate. I hope this can be explained further, as I haven't seen anything about this issue in a while.

6.5 with reference to Ron Green's comment.

Not sure of his exact meaning, but if the bill passes I am planning on registering my 1933 Chevrolet with the YOM plate and moving my Purple plate to my 1984 BMW. The BMW is eligible for the purple Antique plate, but not for a YOM plate since the current bill YOM plates only go up to 1975. I currently have a white with purple lettering Classic plate on the Bimmer and want to go the the Antique Historic plate on it.

That said, the purple plate will be freed up to use on one of my other cars.

I hate the look of the newer White PA Antique plate with that funky looking antique car on it.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

o " We called on HB 1203 and found out that the head of the transportation committee is Senator John Rafferty and the only way to get this bill going is to put pressure on the Senator so we are asking all PA antique car owners to either write, e-mail or call the good senator and ask him to move this bill and get it passed. His address is: Senate <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:address w:st="on"><st1:Street w:st="on">Box</st1:Street> 203044</st1:address> / <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Harrisburg</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">PA</st1:State> <st1:PostalCode w:st="on">17120-3044</st1:PostalCode></st1:place>. His email is jrafferty@pasen.gov and his phone is 717-787-1398." this was received by us this week and more from John Lawrence who wrote the bill:

My advice for anyone contacting any elected official on any matter in any format would be as follows:

* Be polite

* Give your name and contact information

* Know what bill you want to talk about and why you are for or against it

* Ask for a reply

As long as people abide by these, they should be fine.

Does anyone know what this means?

Are you saying that if I have an old purple plate that I'd like to put on my antique, I will now be permitted?

If that's true, that would be great. I have one, and I would love to put it on my car. I refuse to put that new plate on my car. It is pathetic.

Also, for plates that run 6 years, like the 64 - 70 plate, will the plate have to have the proper year's sticker on it, or could any plate from that era go on a car built in say, 1968?

Still, nothing would beat a purple plate. I hope this can be explained further, as I haven't seen anything about this issue in a while.

Fairly simple. If you have a “purple” plate and want to go to a YOM plate you could transfer the “purple” plate to another vehicle as mention in the post above, or you could save it or sell / transfer it. Of course all pending on the bill being passed.

Fairly simple. If you have a “purple” plate and want to go to a YOM plate you could transfer the “purple” plate to another vehicle as mention in the post above, or you could save it or sell / transfer it. Of course all pending on the bill being passed.

I wouldn't count on that. Here in Ohio when a YOM plate is assigned to a car it still retains it's antique plate as well, which must be carried in the car at all times. If the car had no plate to begin with, or is newly registered as an antique, it is assigned a new antique plate that must be carried. The YOM plate mearly acts as a cross-reference to the "real" registration for the car.

The big question here is "what reason(s) does the senator have for not releasing the bill for a vote?". Is is a part of some legistlation package containing other things that he does not support, or is his objection strictly to this bill? Once we know that it may become easier to address the matter. Anyone have any ideas?