Rajo Racing Engines

Guest robsterk

Guest robsterk

Hello and once again I am looking for some info from the many experts here. I have a few old racing engines that I would like to have input on. Mainly if anyone can identify them by the pictures or give some clues on how I can research further. Thanks

1)

eng.jpg

2)

eng2.jpg

3)

eng3.jpg

4)

eng4.jpg

5)

eng5.jpg

6)

eng6.jpg

7)

eng7.jpg

8)

eng8.jpg

Guest robsterk

Guys thank you for taking the time to respond to my posts. I have received several emails and a few private messages. Now first of all Dave from NJ what approximately is the value of the gold mine you speak of? Hahaha. So here is the story of the engines..... My father inlaw was a major collector. He had many amazing things he had accumulated over the span of his life. I am now helping my mother inlaw to cash in on all the years of her putting up with all his "junk" as she calls it. We are making the mini storage owners richer with the several storage units we have had to rent to stash all the stuff. These engines were stashed for probably 60 years before a few buddies and myself moved them out. Dave I think I will contact the two sources you mentioned. Thanks again.

Value depends on condition.

You need to take them apart and check for usefulness as people seek out these parts to actually use them on their A and T. Together people have to buy them at a price they will not get hurt if there is a problem. Apart and checked for common problems their value will increase. Keep in mind there is a strong possibility these are not in a car for a reason, like they stopped working right.

The values run in the thousands of dollars for the heads and hundreds for the manifolds.

If you have a Ford flathead engine with the Ardun overhead valve set up then you would talk in the tens of thousands.

I do not have a clue on exact values. It is best to connect with some experts and have experts take them apart.

Look around the storage area for the missing stuff. The more complete the more they are worth. There is a good chance the other goodies are around if you can find them.

And be careful about throwing anything away. The weird bit of metal that is obviously junk, usually turns out to be an impossible to find part.

I wouldnt take anything apart. They are worth more money just as they are. I know my heart would sink at the news some rare motor had been taken apart by an amateur. This is not to knock you or your friends. It simply means that originality and patina are a big deal in the world of antiques.

Your best chance at a fair sale might be an auction, either an old car auction or Ebay. Ebay might even be better, and they dont ding you for a big percentage of the money like antique car auctions.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I posted a link on the model A forum of Fordbarn, You should hear from those guys. It's hard to tell from a picture but I lean to an "A" on the first one due to the placement of the timing pin. It's an A flywheel housing but that can be adapted. If I put them on eBay I would try a 10k reserve on each

I posted a link on the model A forum of Fordbarn, You should hear from those guys. It's hard to tell from a picture but I lean to an "A" on the first one due to the placement of the timing pin. It's an A flywheel housing but that can be adapted. If I put them on eBay I would try a 10k reserve on each

Unless the deed to Harry Miller's estate is in one of those engines, I'd say 10 K is a bit overly optimistic even for both engines. We've got 2 desirable heads, manifolds and ignitions. Everything else is run of the mill , dime a dozen Ford parts.

Howard Dennis

The fact that the Crager head is now reproduced has caused the originals to level out in value. Most people than plan to run one will step up and buy the repop. Be sure to locate the rocker cover for the RAJO T head and any other parts. Taking them apart isn't worth your time unless you are knowledgable on early cars & parts. Can you build a proper crate to ship them once you find a buyer, or will local pick up be required? They are unrestored, but what state are they in?

I agree with not touching anything. Pull them out and take lots of good pictures. Determine a reasonable price to crate and ship. Put them on eBay with no reserve. Link the auction here, FordBarn and the Hamb. The market will be determined by the end of the auction.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest robsterk

Hello all and thanks for all the info. I haven't done much wig these yet other than move them to a safe storage. I am in no big rush to sell any of it but will continue to research. I did find some more parts. When I do sell I will post a link here so you guys can check it out. Thanks again.