56 tbird rear main

Guest l danhausen

Guest l danhausen

Can anyone tell me how to install the rubber rear seal ? I have the seal but do not have the instructions . Thank You Larry

Hi Larry,

Welcome to the T-Bird forum! It would be helpful if you could give us more information about your car. Is the engine a 292 or 312? Is the engine in or out of the car? Are you sure that it is the rear main seal that is leaking? The reason I ask is that sometimes the valley pan gasket leaks, which mimics the rear main seal leaking.

There are instructions available at the CTCI (Classic Thunderbird Club International) website. If you are not a member of CTCI I would strongly recommend that you join. The magazine they produce is well worth the membership fee and they produce a restoration guide that is invaluable to the T-Bird hobbyist. For the specific information you are seeking click on the follwoing link:

CTCI - Gil's Garage

Good luck and let us know more about your car.

Hi Larry,

One other thing is that while it is possible to change the rear main seal in the car, it is a whole lot easier to do it when the engine is out of the car. I helped a friend do it on his 1957 a year and a half ago and there are no leaks at the rear main seal at all since we did the job. That one we did with the engine out of the car.

• 3 years later...
Guest howard schrider

I also have what seams to be a rear main bearing seal ,leaking. I had the engine rebuilt in my 55 292. the rebuilder put a new type of seal which leaked.he pull the engine again and replaced it with the cord type.still leaks.leaks so much it coming out the rear of the bell housing vent too. he said to drive it 500 miles so the rope absorbs the oil and should stop leaking. what do you think

Not taking anything away from CTCI, Ted Eaton has an excellent series of articles on y blocks. Half way down is the rear seal installation article and one on warped seal retainers. I'm not sure if it's in this article, but Best Gasket had an "orange" 312 seal that failed rapidly. Replacements are black supposedly.

http://www.eatonbalancing.com/blog/2014/06/25/quick-index-for-eaton-balancing-articles/

Edited by miker98038
Sp (see edit history)