1935 Buick Convertible

Guest hbz2002

Guest hbz2002

I just acquired a 1935 Buick convertible with a serial number under the right fender of 2795256.

It's a two door.

I'm just looking to see what model it is and whether it has any value?

Thanks,

Henry

Congratulations.... You probably have a model 46C convertible coupe. There were 933 made in the 40 series, 170 in the model 56C series, and 111 in the 66C series. If you post the engine and frame numbers, I am sure Dave Corbin can tell you more.

Hey Henry,

This is the part of the Antique Road show where the audience is told what to look for when buying that vase with the hole in the bottom and not the top. I am trying to ease into telling you that what you have looks to be a model 48 2 door sedan with the top cut off. I hope you didn't pay much for it. Is the engine in it? It would be hard to restore unless the top was where you found the car and even then it would be quite a project.

bubba

Edited by bubba (see edit history)

Yes it is a two door sedan with the roof cut off. It looks as though there is not much of the original car left. I presume it has (or had?) modern mechanicals in it from the T handle shifter. It looks to have non original rear wheels so maybe the rear end is not original either? Remember the body is steel over a wooden frame which may also be rotten. That front bumper looks to be from a Hudson or Graham of about the same period. The steering wheel is from a car from later in the 1930s. Is the original body id plate still on the firewall? My guess is that it is not worth restoring but might be worth something as parts, as the panels and fenders look to be fairly good.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Guest hbz2002

Thanks for the info,,, The engine has been replaced with a Cheverlet straight 6 with a power glide transmission.

I only paid $200 for the car and I cant go wrong for that price...

I'll check for the id plate on the firewall and post the results...

Thanks,

Henry

Guest hbz2002

The information below came off the ID plate on the firewall

Flint Michigan

Style No 34-4411

Body 1584

Trim

Model 48

Thanks,

Henry

..I only paid $200 for the car and I cant go wrong for that price
$200 plus cost of recovery: Yes: its worth that in parts

What do you plan to do with it ?

Henry,

Plenty of value in what you have. The steering wheel is from a 1936 Buick.

There have been requests for rear fenders and other parts for these models from forum members in the past - if you decide to part it out.

Looks like someone had a plan and some work has been done to that end. You could still continue the work and make a modified, I have a friend here in Australia who is building a 1934/35 Series 40 pick up type hotrod.

Yes, it looks like an early "hot rod". It would be an interesting project to bring it back to what was intented, but quite some effort. I think the creator of it had the right idea for a California Car where a top might not be needed. Maybe the wood was replaced with new wood or metal by the creator, as it seems the doors to not have serious sagging.

But just my opinion. For $200, plus recovery, I would have grabbed it too.

John

Guest hbz2002

Is the car more valuable in parts or sold as a whole car?

I orriginally planed on scrapping it just for the metal which would bring me about $300