BCA National Meet - 2013

Guest BCAOffice

Guest BCAOffice

The BCA Board of Directors recently approved formation of a new National Meet Committee to begin handling all aspects of site selection and running of all future BCA National Meets. After interviewing three city CVBs, the committee, with approval from the Board of Directors, selected South Bend, Indiana, as the site for 2013. The dates will be July 17 - 20, 2013. We are currently soliciting bids from the Convention and Vistors Bureau in a couple of cities on the West coast for the 2014 National Meet, and then we plan to select a site in either the North Central or South Central portion of the country for 2015. We are planning a big celebration for 2016 ( the BCA's 50th Anniversary ) and are considering several potential locations to host that momentous occassion.

Just a little information to let you all know what is coming up for the future.

Mike Book, BCA # 9202

National Meet Committee Chairman

BCA National Office Administrator

South Bend sounds great for me! Just right (or rather left) next door!

I likely won't be driving anywhere west of the Rockies, so will look forward to 2015 after that!

This sounds like a great way around the issues of getting "bids" from chapters, as that seemed to be way to difficult. Let the CVB pony up the cash, we'll drive the Buicks!

Just a little information to let you all know what is coming up for the future.

Mike Book, BCA # 9202

BCA National Office Administrator

Thanks for the information on where we are headed Mike. Even though pretty far out in the future, it helps to have this type of information for planning purposes. I suppose this will all be in a Bugle somewhere/ sometime, but if not, can it be disseminated via Chapter Newsletters?

Guest BCAOffice

All this info will appear in a future Bugle. We might wait until we make a decision on 2014 and then do the article. In the meantime, please feel free to pass along the info via Chapter newsletters.

Thanks!

Mike Book, BCA # 9202

Guest BCAOffice

One of our tours will be to the Studebaker Museum. We'll also have a bus tour over to Auburn to see the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum, as well as a couple other museums near the ACD. There is also a Hudson Museum on the way to the ACD Museum. We'll have a tour to Mishawaka for the shopping venue, as well as tours to the various mansions in downtown South Bend. We'll have something planned at Notre Dame College as well. We will keep you occupied if all the Buicks we get registered are not enough to hold your attention!

Mike & Nancy Book, BCA # 9202

Guest BigDogDaddy

I know the logistics would be extremely difficult, but it would be awesome to hold the club's 50th Anniversay at several locations simultaneously across the country. Or have a rolling celebration, where it could start out on the West Coast were the club originated, and then the following week have it in another part of the country conituing East until it reaches the East Coast. Plan it to have several days in between to allow for travel time for those brave and dedicated people who want to hit each event. What a wild celebraion that would be !

I know the logistics would be extremely difficult, but it would be awesome to hold the club's 50th Anniversay at several locations simultaneously across the country. Or have a rolling celebration, where it could start out on the West Coast were the club originated, and then the following week have it in another part of the country conituing East until it reaches the East Coast. Plan it to have several days in between to allow for travel time for those brave and dedicated people who want to hit each event. What a wild celebraion that would be !

Indeed!

And give lots more folks a chance to join in.

I'm sure Roy is needing a stiff drink just thinking about it! :)

Let's see, LA, follow Route 66 to Chicago with a possible stop in Sante Fe, Tulsa, then down 65 to Nashville, Mobile, then finish off in Orlando?

Why don't you get right on organizing that BigDogDaddy! I'm right behind you (In spirit anyway!)

No need for an after tour for that meet!

Guest my3buicks
Indeed!

And give lots more folks a chance to join in.

I'm sure Roy is needing a stiff drink just thinking about it! :)

Let's see, LA, follow Route 66 to Chicago with a possible stop in Sante Fe, Tulsa, then down 65 to Nashville, Mobile, then finish off in Orlando?

Why don't you get right on organizing that BigDogDaddy! I'm right behind you (In spirit anyway!)

No need for an after tour for that meet!

What, not stop in Flint? That would just be SO wrong. : )

What, not stop in Flint? That would just be SO wrong. : )

Yes, that would have been a wonderful idea, since I was planning on the Great Lakes Regional the 3rd week of August 2013, I think that is now not going to happen............ Can't see a National and a Regional 4 weeks later within 200 miles of each other, sorry folks, planning ahead doesn't always work, eh?

Roy, I'll let the Flint Visitors and Convention Bureau know, so they can plan for that, sounds like a great idea!!

Roberta,

With all due respect. The purpose of the National Meet Committee as approved by the BCA BOD is to create the best possible National Meet experience for our members and negotiate the best possible deal for the BCA. As was the case for 2013 and will be the case for 2014 and beyond, all potential meet locations CVB's will be competitively bid against each other including those bidding on the 2016 50th Anniversary. The BCA BOD still makes a final decision on the location of the meet based on the bids received.

In my experience from the outside looking in it would seem the Flint CVB has always been an outstanding partner to the BCA and the Buicktown Chapter so I am certain they will be tough to beat.

Flint would be an excellent location to host the 50th anniversary of the BCA. California, where the BCA started, would also be an excellent location to host the 50th Anniversary meet. So would several other locations for various reasons. Flint would also make a great location to host the 50th Anniversary of the first national meet in 2021 (1971 first meet) which would also be the 50th national meet (no meet in '74) overall.

What I am saying is there are lots of reasons to love Flint, but please let the National Meet Committee work the best possible deal for the BCA using the process they have developed to ensure all possible considerations are accounted for and to negotiate the best possible deal. Thus lowering costs for all BCA members who wish to attend and increasing profits to be shared with the local chapters providing volunteers.

Flint is definitely on the radar of the National Meet Committee and the committee has not yet discussed as a group 2016 locations. We are planning to get together to discuss locations and develop a bid list for several years into the future.

I have spoken to Rick Young, BCA President, and this message is on behalf of both of us, President and VP of the BCA.

Roberta,

With all due respect. The purpose of the National Meet Committee as approved by the BCA BOD is to create the best possible National Meet experience for our members and negotiate the best possible deal for the BCA. As was the case for 2013 and will be the case for 2014 and beyond, all potential meet locations CVB's will be competitively bid against each other including those bidding on the 2016 50th Anniversary. The BCA BOD still makes a final decision on the location of the meet based on the bids received.

In my experience from the outside looking in it would seem the Flint CVB has always been an outstanding partner to the BCA and the Buicktown Chapter so I am certain they will be tough to beat.

Flint would be an excellent location to host the 50th anniversary of the BCA. California, where the BCA started, would also be an excellent location to host the 50th Anniversary meet. So would several other locations for various reasons. Flint would also make a great location to host the 50th Anniversary of the first national meet in 2021 (1971 first meet) which would also be the 50th national meet (no meet in '74) overall.

What I am saying is there are lots of reasons to love Flint, but please let the National Meet Committee work the best possible deal for the BCA using the process they have developed to ensure all possible considerations are accounted for and to negotiate the best possible deal. Thus lowering costs for all BCA members who wish to attend and increasing profits to be shared with the local chapters providing volunteers.

Flint is definitely on the radar of the National Meet Committee and the committee has not yet discussed as a group 2016 locations. We are planning to get together to discuss locations and develop a bid list for several years into the future.

I have spoken to Rick Young, BCA President, and this message is on behalf of both of us, President and VP of the BCA.

IT would have been nice to have all the details about the BCA National Meet Committee shared with all the members, I get questions all the time, about why we are saving for an event we may never have.

Lowered costs, I don't see that ever happening, I'm the crumudgeon's friend and becoming one myself fast!!!!!!!!!!!

I for one would love to see lower costs and especially lower prices for the tours and meals. Bringing a family of 4 or 5, we rarely get to participate in any of the "sanctioned" events. We're usually on our own, touring on a budget.

I'm hoping this CVB approach brings in more family friendly options.

I don't know if this is possible, but I also actually enjoy the banquet and awards ceremony, but could do without the $40+ dinner. It would be nice to have an "attend only" option....as we have been opting out lately due to the high price of dinner.

I'm with Brian...$45 as a starting price isn't prohibitive if I'm on my own, but when I multiply by 5 every year, it does mean tough decisions about what portions of the meet we partake in.

Last year we didn't plan to attend the meal of the banquet, just sneak in later...someone left a ticket on the dash of one of our cars, so Suzanne looked after the youngsters and I attended.

One thing to keep in mind is how well attended and how well enjoyed the trip to Jewell was last year. I know it can't work like that everywhere we would go, but a nice drive into the country and having a bit of a show and shine with perhaps a fast food option or similar would be a lot of fun on a budget.

I'm not trying to whine / complain...just explain that the meet activities haven't been all that family-friendly from a cost perspective in recent years.

Guest BCAOffice

Hey guys.....All members are allowed in for the awards ceremony. The cost is only if you want the meal. We plan to have chairs around perimeter of the banquet room for folks that just want to enjoy watching the awards. I believe it has been that way at most of the National Meets.

Mike Book, BCA 9202

Brian

I am surprized at you !! As much sarcasm as you dish out , I am dumbfounded that you do not recognize it when it is pointed at you !!!

The meets at one point were set up and run by the chapters, and the BCA BOD just watched. Now that prices have skyrocketed and the fun is gone from the meet, I wish you luck

The Old Guy ( my new alias is : The Curmudgeon )

Hey guys.....All members are allowed in for the awards ceremony. The cost is only if you want the meal. We plan to have chairs around perimeter of the banquet room for folks that just want to enjoy watching the awards. I believe it has been that way at most of the National Meets.

Mike Book, BCA 9202

I'm glad to hear that....last year we "snuck in" and found an open space at a table after dinner was served....but it certainly didn't feel like it was "right".

Maybe having a place on the registration to indicate interest in this would help to have seats available. (area of tables, then just a few rows of chairs as well)

I know I'm in the minority as far as actually wanting to see the awards...:D:D:D:D

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to start a fight! I was merely expressing my personal opinion as to where I thought the 50th Anniversary meet might could be. In light of the historical significance of Flint, and the fact that Flint has hosted the other great 100th Buick and GM anniversary events, I just thought it would be appropriate. And I know Roberta knows how to run an event of this magnitude. I'll shut up now and let the BOD handle it.

Guest BCAOffice

The banquet is always an area of concern. We have such a large turnout for the awards banquet that getting room for everyone is sometimes difficult. Having room at tables for members & family for the "awards only" portion of the program has been scarce, to say the least. The new National Meet Committee is attempting to pick locations that have large enough parking and banquet facilities that the shows can always be held right at the hotel, which is what the vast majority of the members want. We hope to have enough room in the banquet rooms to allow everyone that wants to see the awards program to be able to do so. South Bend, Indiana, in 2013 is the first meet being organized by the new committee. In the meantime, we'll be sure to make it known that you don't have to "sneak" in; all members are welcome. It may be "standing room only", but all are welcome.

Mike Book, BCA # 9202

I did not attend the banquet in Ames, as I had family members traveling with me and while the appreciated the fine cars on display, I felt I need not subject them to what I consider a wondeful event, so I wen later to the awards part and yes, I did stand for that. The hallway doors were open so we a number of people in those doorways. I did not "sneek in".

On the other hand if we did a simple event without the meal, would a hotel arange that and at what cost. Maybe we should just look into renting a hall neraby, posibly erecting a large tent for the awards presentation or at the hotel and skip a meal. That is, if a hotel would accept that arrangement. I think many cities and towns have social clubs that have facilities that rent at a lower price then hotels. They may not be quite so glamorous, but the price is better. Colleges may offer the same thing while the area is dormant in the summer. A lot more people can fit in a smaller place, without a meal.

I do not mind spending money for a quality meal, but I am finding that the price seems to be growing inverse to the quality. The one exception is the AACA banquet at the Hershey Lodge. I have never seen a more efficient serving of good hot food in a short period of time.

So, my conclusion, perhaps the National Meet Committee should investigate the possibility of an Awards Presentation without a banquet in one of the next years and see how it goes.

John

Guest 75RivGS
Or have a rolling celebration, where it could start out on the West Coast were the club originated, and then the following week have it in another part of the country conituing East until it reaches the East Coast. Plan it to have several days in between to allow for travel time for those brave and dedicated people who want to hit each event. What a wild celebraion that would be !

I'm in... what a great idea!!.... attending all meets during a road trip..

Guest ExpertTransport

careful Al. This is not an open forum. You need to fall into line or move on to another club.

What happend to BCA Regions sponsering a national, if no one steps up to the plate you just do not have any for that year. And some other region can hope fully host one the next year.

Al Storrs

Al the club is trying a different approach...let's just wait and see how it works.

Willie

Hopefully the "Committee" will hear and be open to our comments here on the Forum. I realize we are but a small part of the total BCA membership but this is a great sounding board.

I too thought California would be the place for the 50th since that is where it all started. I would hope that the "Committee" would give some credit to such symbolic things as that.

It can't be ALL about economics can it?

While I have the floor here....

What's with the one (1) hour cash bar. I mean by the time you stand in line for one drink, it's time to run to the banquet. Why not make it a couple/three hours and hey, how about a band. Would love to sing along " My Buick, My Love and I" and maybe even do the Buick Boogie. Anybody else with me here? ;):D

What's with the one (1) hour cash bar. I mean by the time you stand in line for one drink, it's time to run to the banquet. Why not make it a couple/three hours and hey, how about a band. Would love to sing along " My Buick, My Love and I" and maybe even do the Buick Boogie. Anybody else with me here? ;):D

Here, Here!

Agreed. I maybe get to talk to 2 or 3 people I missed on the showfield. It's a CASH BAR, they can't be charging us much for it???

Fun is what YOU make it. I've never had trouble having fun at any BCA function....

I totally agree here. Ames Ia happened the way it did because no chapter wanted to do the national in 2010. It just happened to be a great meet. My hat is still off to Rick and Bill for a job well done, and the cruise to Jewell will be hard to beat. I have always enjoyed the Nationals and wish they could be a bit less expensive, but you cant put a price on friendship. I wish could attend this year but there is always next year. Try living in Kansas and your always 500 miles to anywhere. I might add there will most likely never be a national in Wichita Kansas

Chuck,

Don't say "never"! Wichita would be a wonderful and central location for a BCA national meet. Yes, you would need help from more BCA members than you have in that area, but people would step up to help when the time came. I'm sure the Kansas City Chapter would help and I think you could count on some of our N. Texas Chapter members. And I know how many other antique car clubs there are in the Wichita area; members of other clubs helped with the Colorado Springs meet because that is a small chapter. There are several good attractions or tours that could be offered, such as Easy Jack's salvage yard in Junction City; the auto restoration facility at McPherson College; Ehrlich's salvage yard in Great Bend; Ken and Sue Reeves' parts bone yard near Enid, OK. (bet you could get two bus loads of BCA members at the drop of hat to go there!) I know of an unbelievable private museum of antique cars out near the Wichita airport; I know of another smaller one in Salina, Kansas; and I'm sure you can think of other sites.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338