Need a seat for 35 1/2 Dodge pickup

jimy

The seat is missing for my 1935 1/2 (a changeover year, this later version has the newer cab w/o suicide doors). I have never had it or even seen one.

If anyone has one, that would be great.

If not, does anyone know what other years would fit? Looks like the cab changed again in 1939, so I'm guessing a 36, 37, or 38 seat would likely fit. Is there any chance a 39 or later seat would fit, perhaps with a bit of retrofitting?

The two halves to this seat appear to mount separately. There is a sheet metal platform built onto the floor that has two pins the seat bottom fits over.

I could also use hubcaps...

Thanks for any help

Jim (Owego, NY)

Guest DodgeKCL

You're right about the 2 different versions of the doors on a '35 KC. I believe most of us are calling the first version with the suicide doors the 'First Series' and the later standard door opening version the 'Second Series'. Yours would be called a Second Series Express. Express was Dodge's name for pickup. (I'm not sure if the First/Second Series labels are Dodge out of the 30s or made up later by book authors.)

With that said I have seen several '35s over the years and as the year wound down Dodge started to put on 1936 LC body parts on late '35 KCs as the parts came on the line getting ready for full 1936 production. My own KCL built in Oct. '35 has a 1936 glove box on the right side which as far as I know was not available on earlier '35 production. I have also seen a '35 KC Express with the 1936 LC crank out windshield assembly instead of the slide out version of our 33/34/35s.

So there is a possibility no physical change was made in the seat assembly area and 1936 LC seat/seats will fit with nil modifications.

FYI, 1933/34 and '35 are all the same truck with very little change over the 3 years. The 33/34/35s use the 1933 Dodge car front clip. The next big change came in 1936 with the LC using the 1936 car front clip and that version remained in place until 1939 when the next change occurred. Basically trucks within any of those 3 year spans use the same sheet metal and running gear. BUT if you are looking for points and a perfect restoration there is some differences in dash instruments,hubcaps,charging systems etc.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

First, a very belated thank you for the information. I don't plan on being a "one post" guy on here - I will try to get some "before" pictures posted of my truck early next week.

I was able to find a seat back on Ebay a few weeks ago, listed for 34-37 Dodge trucks. I just got it today and it is definitely not an easy fit, but may still be something to work with. From googling, It appears the earlier suicide cab has three uprights spot welded to the back of the cab that the seat hooks into near the top. Plus a couple of blocks that may hold the bottom of the back forward a bit.

My later cab has two uprights that the seat may have hooked to, but it is hard to say.

Does anyone have any pictures of the later cab seats and cab? Especially the non-upholstered sides of the seat and the cab without the seat installed?

I can't find photos of this anywhere and they would be greatly appreciated and will help in locating the correct seats or retrofitting/making something else.

Jim

Guest jimmyfloyd

Does anyone know if the larger dodge trucks would use the same seats? Or the later early 40's ones? There is one located not too far from Owego. I'll see if I can stop by and grab some pictures this week.

I'm not sure about the later models or the larger trucks - but would like to find out. The cab changed in 39, but at first glance looks the similar to me. Perhaps it got a little bigger.

Pictures would be great! I noticed your other thread in "general". Is the truck at gary's in Binghamton? Haven't been there in years, but kept my first few cars going with parts from there. I remember a very long walk back up the hill with two Saab 99 doors hooked over my shoulders.

thanks,

Jim

I see you are in New York state. I was just there for a week's vacation with the wife. I was in the Mexico,Rome area and stayed in Oswego at the Quality Inn on the canal. Where are you? We're going down again in a couple of weeks to Boston and will be using I81 and I90. Are you close to either around Syracuse?

The truck is about 2 miles off rt81, but it is near Binghamton - about an hour below Syracuse. Of course if you had a seat I'd meet you anywhere :-)

Guest jimmyfloyd

Yes, The truck is at Gary's. I work half a mile from there. I'll check it out today and let you know. If you ever needed a hand working on the truck, I am always willing to help and learn seeing as you are close to Binghamton.

Guest jimmyfloyd

Sorry for the Poor pictures, but I believe one of these is a Dodge. The one with the light on it I couldn't get to easily, but have a picture of it from a while ago I can dig out if it looks like it will work for you. There are a couple other pictures of the older trucks they had there.

100_0287.jpg

100_0286.jpg

Foreground truck

100_0285.jpg

100_0284.jpg

100_0283.jpg

100_0282.jpg

100_0281.jpg

100_0280.jpg

100_0278.jpg

100_0277.jpg

100_0275.jpg

100_0274.jpg

Thanks for the pictures Jimmy! The truck in the foreground appears to have some sort of dual seat rather than a regular bench like I need. Hard to say about the other - certainly the cab is different than mine. Are these trucks in the regular part of the yard where I could wander in and check them out?

Appreciate the offer for giving me a hand, but I'm not doing the restoration myself. I didn't quite dare take a family truck apart given my tendency to not complete big projects. I spend most of my tinkering time on vintage motorcycles these days.

I'm post a pre-restoration pic of my truck in a few minutes

Jim

Here is a picture of the truck from about 10 years ago, after sitting in various barns since the 50's. It was my great grandfathers truck, given to my uncle, and then given to me. The Endicott-Johnson Shoe Company was a major employer in this area in those times. My great grandfather had a vegetable farm and used this truck to deliver to a restaurant (or several) called "EJ Cafeteria's". I don't believe they were cafeteria's for working hours, but more for families. I'm not sure if they were run by the company (which provided many services for employees) or privately owned.

The truck was solid, but in need of almost everything. You see the good fenders on this side, the others were more battered. They were bumped, battered, torn and welded during many years on the farm. Currently all bodywork and mechanical work is done, it is just going through assembly and some work on small parts.

Jim

post-74782-143138607642_thumb.jpg

Guest Knucklebuster

The larger DB trucks had split seats in them. The 1/2 tons (commercials) were the ones with bench seats. Mine had been replaced so I am going back to the splits and dont think the bench is old enough to accurately go in yours but will check it out.

post-67224-143138610886_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
The larger DB trucks had split seats in them. The 1/2 tons (commercials) were the ones with bench seats. Mine had been replaced so I am going back to the splits and dont think the bench is old enough to accurately go in yours but will check it out.

We have about 20 large Dodge trucks in the 30s and they all have bench seats.