Need help to identify a old oldsmobile truck

I'm interessted in getting some info about this truck. I found it near by the quarry where my grandfather used to work. I noticed that the id-tag/VIN-number has been removed/stolen. So is there anywhere else on the truck that these numbers can be found?

If not, can anyone tell me what year this truck is, and/or what it's called?

And are there parts made for this truck?

I'll be posting pictures as soon as I find my cellphone :)

post-76032-143138555536_thumb.jpg

post-76032-143138555563_thumb.jpg

post-76032-143138555586_thumb.jpg

post-76032-14313855561_thumb.jpg

post-76032-143138555632_thumb.jpg

post-76032-143138557797_thumb.jpg

post-76032-143138557823_thumb.jpg

post-76032-143138557845_thumb.jpg

post-76032-143138557867_thumb.jpg

post-76032-143138557889_thumb.jpg

Edited by cloud_silver (see edit history)

hi cloud silver, more than likely, this is a GMC truck, which were built with oldsmobile engines, just like in the mid fifties, if you bought a GMC 1/2 or 3/4 ton pick up, you could get a pontiac engine, larger models had oldsmobile engines. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Guest Oracle

Norvege received Chevrolet, GMC and Oldsmobile trucks, all built in Flint, Michigan, by 1937. They included Cab Over Engine trucks in all series including Chevrolets, two years before the States. My page details:

1931 to 1938 CHEVROLET COMMERCIAL MODELS U

Also Hercules diesel engines were also available.

The Olds and GMC variants differed in having Olds not Chevy sixes, and GMC or Olds grilles. Both used the GMC 224 engine which was in fact an Olds unit, similar to the passenger cars'. The pedals even had 'GMC' even in the Olds versions!

Olds trucks were imported into the UK for two years, and I have a list of the models. If the engine number is on the block we can identify the year. The wheelbase will identify the model. However, unless the serial number is there sonewhere, it is a toss-up as to whether it is a GMC or an Olds as the grille seems to have been replaced.

Olds trucks were sold throughout Europe as well as Australasia...in fact all over thr world save for N America.

I just called my brother and he said that there where a tag on the left part of the hood that said oldsmobile (you can see the tag but not the text on the second picture), I'm going up there tonight to see if I can find the number on the block. I'll be posting more picture and info as soon as I get more.

I got some great news! I found the owner thanks to my grandfather on my fathers side, he knew the guy!

The truck is a 1938 Oldsmobile C-157, 157" wheelbase and the max load capacitiy is 2 1/2 tons. The engnie is a 230 cid, but I couldn't find the numbers on the engine. The guy bought the car for 12 000 NOK thats about 2205 USD, He couldn't remember when he bought it but my grandfather was the one that picked it up in east Norway and he thought it was back in 1948/49.

And the owner gave me the truck for free :) along with an ford v8, and a old volvo he had in one of the garages nearby the olds. I havent seen the engine or the volvo but I'm going back up there again tomorrow.

So does anybody know if they make parts for this truck, because it's missing alot of parts.

If this truck's engine was originally an Oldsmobile unit it would have been side valve. The engine here is ohv so has obviously been changed at some time. Maybe it is a GMC unit from a WW2 truck?? It doesn't look like a Chevrolet engine. Or is it a six cylinder Buick engine? I know they continued using Buick sixes in GMCs and GM buses for some time after Buick cars went over to straight eights. The engine number will give a clue.

Thats interessting, all info I can get from this truck is good info.

I didn't take the trip up to the quarry yesterday. But tonight I'm going up to see how we best can move this truck without destroying it.

But I was wondering, this truck seem to have the large windshield but there are also the split window model. Do they all share the same body panels?

And what about the wooden frame, does there exist work plans for it?

I thougt fisher body made all of them, but I'm new to amcars so I dont know much. This is my first truck.

I have found many gmc trucks that look the same as the olds. But I have to do some measurements of the fenders and see whats closest.

I've done some researching on the olds trucks. And it seem that the body has several parts from other gmc/chevy trucks.

This is one of the oldsmobile models as it was delivered in Europe, note the split windshield:

Oldsmobile lorry 1938

And a truck with a single big screen and another type of hood:

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~oldsclub/Graphics/truck/1936/36trkfrt.jpg

This is the truck that's closest to the one I got:

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~oldsclub/Graphics/truck/1938/38trkc.jpg

Lets begin with the grille and hood, The hood is very pointy and it's in one piece. I think that both of them are the same as for the 1939 Chevy truck.

http://image.classictrucks.com/f/25840043/1001clt_04_z+1939_chevy_pickup_truck+open_engine_bay.jpg

MY window seems to have been the same as the 1937 Chevy trucks and the aussie '38 olds truck:

http://www.seanet.com/~erickson/images/pu37b.jpg

The european fenders has lights on top, but if this was an exstra option I don't know. Mine look like they are from a chevy or the aussie truck:Oldsmobile lorry 1938

And the hoods "side doors" are in one piece on my truck, they don't have any vents or chrome as they should have. And I can't seem to find any truck that has the same, are they made later to replace broken doors?

Any comments, am I missing something or done anything wrong?

I have now bought a olds truck service manual, so I'll just have to wait and see what it says about what engine the truck came with.

And I want to thank Roger Zimmerman for selling me the manual :)

Update: I just bought an old issue of a Norwegian veteran magazine, they had a story about the oldsmobile trucks and busses in Norway, I'm looking forward to recieving it in the mail.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recieved the magazine I ordered.

And it seems like my truck actually is a early '39 that has been registrated in '38. The hood "doors" that the european truck came with in '39 didn't have any chrome,vent holes etc just like mine and the engine they used was the GMC 228 cid straight 6. So it's seems that the truck is all original except for the grille. And thats good news. And the article in the magazine also mentioned several people thats restoring or have restored oldsmobile trucks in Norway.

• 8 months later...

At last I have got hold of the original serial number for my truck.

I contacted the national archives and they found the old licenplate numbers and all the information about the truck I need.

It's a 1939 Oldsmobile C-159 buildt in april at the copenhagen plant in denmark. The truck was first registered on the 27th of january in 1940. And came to Voss on the 29'th of july 1950.

So now I finally can start with the restoration.

• 2 years later...