f/s 1964 wildcat 4dr hardtop

Guest jpb76@sbcglobal.net

I bought this 1964 buick wildcat 4dr hardtop, 401 nailhead, 4gc carb. A few months ago with plans on fixing it up with my boys. Rebuilt the carb, apparently not the right way and can not get it fired up, haven't touched it for a month now. Thinking about just selling it and getting my garage back. Mostly surface rust with some pin holes in the trunk and underneath the back seat. All the rubber needs to be replaced. Not sure what the car maybe worth. I did get it to fire up but it flooded out to quick. bypassed the gas tank to get fresh fuel to it as a temp thing. Wanted to hear it run first. Any thoughts or offers would be appreciated. Moneys getting tight and I don't see myself having any extra to spend on getting this thing going in the near future. I tried uploading pics, didn't work, i can email them to you if interested, North east IL.

Thanks

For Sale 1964 buick wildcat

located north east Lake County IL.

Condition is currently rough, not running, mostly surface rust

Milage it about 78,000

Asking $1500.00 obo

Car is all original from what i can tell, has all crome and good glass, missing one hubcap

Still haven't been able to get pic working i can email them to you, mine is jpb76@sbcglobal.net

Edited by jpb76@sbcglobal.net
price drop (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

John, yes i still have the car, but i still cannot figure out how to post pictures on this site. the email acc. is still good, email me and i can send you pics.

Jim

Hey guys, thanks for the help, I'm actually located in Antioch, IL. about 5 sec. from the WI border.

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone, still have the car, not much has changed. Still cannot get it running. Need to get rid of it, getting too much heat at home. Give me your best offer.

Thanks

The car, while a decent project vehicle, is not in high demand in the current old vehicle collector project market. I have purchased a 1963 Electra 2 door hardtop for $1000 (solid, not running but probably can get running) a running, driving, stopping 1967 Oldsmobile Toronado for $800, a 72 Mercedes (rusty, complete but rare) for $1000. By contrast I tried to sell a very rare complete non running 49 Kaiser for $1000 on ebay and received no bids.

I point this out as real world market evidence. I check on cars and prices and monitor them about 15-20 hours per week, as a hobby. Virtually all of my offers - what many might consider "low ball" are being accepted within minutes. This tells me that sellers just want the cars gone. I could build a salvage yard from the cars I could buy in about 2 months I would have 500 cars easy.

So, I "think" the 64 Wildcat can find a new home in the $500 to $1000 range as is, by a solid multi photo posting on Craigs List or an ebay auction. However, one might consider getting it running from the fuel tank, checking the brakes. It sounds as if you do not want to spend one dime on it. BUT if you do and can get it running, that would place it in the $1000 to $2200 price range as 99% of potential buyers are NOT buying non running projects, no matter what.

So consider re-rebuilding the carb, checking the brakes and getting it running. However, I think folks might be staying away from interest based on your initial price of $3000, which most would view as too high and out of respect, as I did last year, not even express an opinion on price so as not to create hard feelings. I purchase a 67,000 original mile running and driving, beautiful 73 Electra 4 door Limited for $2500 this summer and a running, driving 1990 Buick Reatta convertible for $2500 that I enjoyed this fall.

So, for $2500 to $3000 a buyer can get a low mileage "B" list collectible in this marketplace that runs and drives out well, needing cosmetics perhaps. Therefore, $3000 is too optimistic - in my opinion - for a non running 4 door model and even "make offer" has too much inference that you as the seller would not consider offers of 2/3 of that price, so reduce the asking price rather then say "make offer" and that asking price should be $500 to $1000 to move it out.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Ouch!!, thanks for the honesty BJM. Really I do mean it though. I have had little time to work on it also, kids in sports and everything. I do appreciate your direction. I have had it up on Craigslist for $1500 or best offer. I suppose my lazyness is why I didn't change the asking price on this posting. So as a posting update price cut $1500 or best offer on the wildcat. I will not be offended by any offer, just want to try and get my money back out of it.

Thanks again

I think BJM's helpful advice on pricing is accurate.

For the typical #3 condition car (nice looking, running,

driving, suitable for shows but not an award winner),

I really think it's now a buyer's market. Asking prices

can still be unrealistic, and dealers are still often trying

to get double a car's worth, but if you look at Ebay

prices realized, overpriced cars aren't selling unless

something is unusually desirable.

It's good to see sanity returning to the market!

Good luck with your Wildcat--and the advice to get it

running is good, even if you have someone else do the

work. I'd then classify the car as a #4 condition (one step

down from #3 condition). More people will buy a running, driving car.